Tablet - Which one ?

Hi guys

My brother is coming to dubai from US and is getting me a tablet. The tablet Should have a front facing camera as this tablet will be used for skype video conference whenever skype starts supporting the platform. The tablet should be reliable and software updates shouldn't be a problem.

currently i have these in mind;

Samsung Galaxy Tab
Viewsonic Gpad 10"
Notion Ink's Adam [when will it launch ? :( ]

My budget is 500-600$ approx
please give your suggestions

Thank you

It's pretty simple actually! If he is going to come after a couple of months(around Jan), get Adam, else go for Tab.

The Adam if you can wait - the pre-orders should commence within a month hopefully!

You could also consider the iPad 16GB/32GB if the camera isn't a priority; it falls well within your budget.

Even i would want to wait for the Adam but the thing is my brother is coming around 2nd week of Dec, and i doubt the adam will be launched by then

Not a big Apple fan, but at the moment the iPad is your best bet. The Galaxy Tab is not a mature product (neither is the iPad or any other tab at the moment, but that's a whole other discussion). The Galaxy Tab has way too many issues to be considered especially considering that it isn't cheap. I've been in the same boat as you about this and every person I have talked to who either owns or has used the Galaxy Tab is not satisfied with it.

My honest opinion, is that you try and refocus your "I want a tablet and I want it now" energy on something else for the next few months. The tablet industry is only starting to spread it's wings now and we should have much better products available over the next few months, starting with the BlackPad & the 2nd generation of iPads mid next year.

The problem with postponing my decision of buying is that - this tablet will be a gift from my bro who is coming from US and that is why it needs to be bought now, if i postpone the decision then shipping charges from US to Dubai will be high and also i would have to pay customs here....

Any views on the Viewsonic Gpad ?

any speculations on when the Adam's gonna launch ?

Engadget has some stuff on ViewSonic's pad. Not that encouraging a buy. I would suggest the Galaxy given your urgency. I own an iPad and can vouch for its extreme reliability and of course intuitive interface. But then the cam is a sore point.

Have some of you even used the Tab. I bought one about a week back and its very very good. Extremely smooth and comes with a lot of stuff in built. Map my India is already built it, so is one movie, a bluetooth headset and a cover. All this with bill and warranty for 36k.

im in same boat as you are.

im almost decided on Viewsonic G Tablet due to Tegra 2 ARM a9 dual core and 512MB RAM.

there are few issues with tablet as per xda but they all should be fixed. the tab already has custom roms and can be expected better support as it has the hardware to do much more than what Galaxy can do.

i think i will gamble and get the gTab..

people have reported to get it for as low as ~279 at sears stores in USA.. that is, if listed under clearance item..not available at all sear's stores.. try your luck.

otherwise pricing is in the range of 370-400.

There is also a change of the launch of Moorstown based tab from Viewsonic very soon.. the same will dual boot win7 and android. Hardware spec wise both tegra2 and moorstown have reported performance on same levels.. although this viewsonic tab may be clocked at 1.6GHz dual core :D ..cant wait though :p

the rumour is that this one will be similarly priced as G Tablet :)

can you please pass the link to the custom roms for the G pad ? if there is any black Friday deal for the g pad i might gamble and get it too

NoName01 said:
The problem with postponing my decision of buying is that - this tablet will be a gift from my bro who is coming from US and that is why it needs to be bought now, if i postpone the decision then shipping charges from US to Dubai will be high and also i would have to pay customs here....

Any views on the Viewsonic Gpad ?

any speculations on when the Adam's gonna launch ?
Buy an ipad and hook up camera connection kit from Apple to go alongwith it, and a product like this might work alongwith it, http://www.i-luv.com/product_detail...ebcam with 3M pixel&category_cd=t41&cat_lev=1

mav2000 said:
Have some of you even used the Tab. I bought one about a week back and its very very good. Extremely smooth and comes with a lot of stuff in built. Map my India is already built it, so is one movie, a bluetooth headset and a cover. All this with bill and warranty for 36k.
You bought a Galaxy Tab, why o why? are you satisfied with the 7inch screen?? have you used/seen the ipad screen?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

NoName01 said:
will i get skype/facetime/fring video conference support with that
Depends whether there are applications available in itune for video conferencing or not. Havent seen one myself but I look for only games and utilities, :p, so might have missed it. Firing up itunes now to check whether there are video conferencing app on ipad available or not.

But then are there application/s in android/galaxy for video conferencing?

NoName01 said:
can you please pass the link to the custom roms for the G pad ? if there is any black Friday deal for the g pad i might gamble and get it too
G Tablet General - xda-developers

plenty of black friday deals but none offering special pricing.

best bet is to visit Sears and see if you can find it cheaper under clearance sale. (and if you find it for that special price then do let me know too :) )

everywhere the pricing is in range of $370-400.

im not going to waiting for notion ink adam.. they have even release specs for adam2 with tegra3... and i think the original adam will be too late when it reaches shelves..

i desperately wish that viewsonic releases the Moorestown based tablet as it was due release this black friday..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

was talking about this btw

Viewsonic » ViewPad 10

ViewSonic ViewPad 10 launch [Video] - SlashGear

and this maybe helpful to those confused like me :)

Tom's Tablet Chart :

sadly no android above 1.6 over x86 yet.. but that will not be the case forever :)

the only problem i found with the gTab while browsing through the Xda forums is that its has the same lcd as a netbook and the viewing angles are bad.....this is a turn off for me....i think i will remove gtab from my list

Back