User Review Tata Play Android TV box

I had cut the cord about 3 years back but recently subscribed to Tata Play for my parents as they found switching content between all the OTT apps too cumbersome. The reason for picking up the Android box was that Tata Play had an effective "free Android box" whereby 6k credits would be added to the account for paying 6k upfront.

The technician who did the installation and setup of course focused only on the DTH part (which too I changed later as he had selected a transponder with lesser signal strength). However, after I started using the box, I realised that it is simply trash.

It has a Broadcom BCM72604 which is just a Cortex-A15 with Videocore V (which is worse than a Pi 4 BTW). The thing lags like crazy which is bearable if it could actually playback content properly. Unfortunately, it drops frames like crazy. On YouTube 4K 30 Mbps videos, it drops more frames than it displays and in other OTT apps, it drops at least 10 frames a second at 4K.

Their customer service has been even worse and they closed the NCH queries stating it is a compatility issue specific to my TV (Samsung The Frame) which is a joke. The reason to keep this box over the normal HD one is mainly because it can switch to net streaming during the rains with poor signal. Also, the other positive thing is that the OTT subscription is not required to keep the box running (ADB is disabled and thus it is not possible to block the blocker as I did for a different box), so can keep the box for DTH viewing only.

TL;DR Don't get the Tata Play Android TV box if you are looking for a single box solution for basic entertainment.

I believe Firestick 4k has a decent performance for people opting to cut the cord and go OTT apps. You can't go wrong with it given the easy interface and user friendly remote.

I had cut the cord about 3 years back but recently subscribed to Tata Play for my parents as they found switching content between all the OTT apps too cumbersome. The reason for picking up the Android box was that Tata Play had an effective "free Android box" whereby 6k credits would be added to the account for paying 6k upfront.

The technician who did the installation and setup of course focused only on the DTH part (which too I changed later as he had selected a transponder with lesser signal strength). However, after I started using the box, I realised that it is simply trash.

It has a Broadcom BCM72604 which is just a Cortex-A15 with Videocore V (which is worse than a Pi 4 BTW). The thing lags like crazy which is bearable if it could actually playback content properly. Unfortunately, it drops frames like crazy. On YouTube 4K 30 Mbps videos, it drops more frames than it displays and in other OTT apps, it drops at least 10 frames a second at 4K.

Their customer service has been even worse and they closed the NCH queries stating it is a compatility issue specific to my TV (Samsung The Frame) which is a joke. The reason to keep this box over the normal HD one is mainly because it can switch to net streaming during the rains with poor signal. Also, the other positive thing is that the OTT subscription is not required to keep the box running (ADB is disabled and thus it is not possible to block the blocker as I did for a different box), so can keep the box for DTH viewing only.

TL;DR Don't get the Tata Play Android TV box if you are looking for a single box solution for basic entertainment.
Thanks for the review. I was thinking to go with similar setup (Airtel Xtreme box) but after reading the review i think it's better to go for firestick.

:)

I had similar issue with Aritel Xtreme DTH. The interface was painfully slow and apps would freeze a lot. The worst part is that though you have active subscription of OTT apps like Prime and Hotstar, you have to pay for Airtel DTH to watch OTT content. Moved it to store room and switched to Mi Box 4K.

Had a similar experience with Airtel Xstream Box.
Now using it just as a DTH box and Fire TV Stick for OTT.
I guess it isn't bad as a DTH box considering the switch to net streaming in case of loss of signal and the ability to restart a program for most channels. However, really was hoping for a streamlined solution that at least does a basic job of streaming but that is too much to expect from the DTH providers.

Unfortunately, the Fire TV interface is a rubbish mess and now they have also blocked third-party launchers. The Android/Google boxes too are generally rubbish with outdated updates and missing audio/video options. The Shield is far too expensive only as a streaming solution unfortunately, so in the end, it is about compromising one thing or the other.

Other than fire tv 4k
stick, which 3rd party box is best for OTT and android experience.
Picked a MOTOROLA DVM4KA01 for supplementing a dumb TV from the forum a couple of months ago.
It has a clean interface with no bloatware, is currently updated to android 10, and has the necessary widevine licenses for OTT streaming.
Plus can support 4K displays as well. Good choice, albeit a little pricey.

I guess it isn't bad as a DTH box considering the switch to net streaming in case of loss of signal and the ability to restart a program for most channels.
DTH boxes are better than these so called streaming boxes from Airtel and Tata. Atleast DTH boxes serve the purpose they're made for which is DTH.
Streaming boxes fail miserably at streaming OTT content so in reality they're just DTH boxes with failed OTT functionality.

Picked a MOTOROLA DVM4KA01 for supplementing a dumb TV from the forum a couple of months ago.
It has a clean interface with no bloatware, is currently updated to android 10, and has the necessary widevine licenses for OTT streaming.
Plus can support 4K displays as well. Good choice, albeit a little pricey.
Haha, and it was me who sold it!
DTH boxes are better than these so called streaming boxes from Airtel and Tata. Atleast DTH boxes serve the purpose they're made for which is DTH.
Streaming boxes fail miserably at streaming OTT content so in reality they're just DTH boxes with failed OTT functionality.
That's true, but then I don't mind it specifically because of the "free box" offer, which effectively meant I was not paying much premium, if any, over the DTH box.

That's true, but then I don't mind it specifically because of the "free box" offer, which effectively meant I was not paying much premium, if any, over the DTH box.
Great. I had to pay 1.5k for the pathetic Airtel Xstream Box which is refundable. So it's technically free for me as well.

To update my saga, I kept escalating the issue for a month and finally had a call from the CEO's desk whereby they told me that they cannot resolve the "compatibility issue" with my TV and hence offered an option to either switch to their dumb box or get a refund.

I opted for the refund and was told that I will get the remaining balance refunded to the provided bank account. Accordingly, they deactivated my connection the same day and collected the box a couple of days later.

However, to my surprise, the CEO desk then dropped me a mail stating that they will deduct 2499 from my balance as I had terminated the connection prior to 6 months which as per their T&C is what they are liable to do for early termination.

I have now filed a separate complaint on NCH about unfair deduction and if they still don't refund the full amount, then guess Consumer Commission is the only way to go. Just highlights the awful state of customer service with Tata Sky and I would never recommend getting a connection from them.

To update my saga, I kept escalating the issue for a month and finally had a call from the CEO's desk whereby they told me that they cannot resolve the "compatibility issue" with my TV and hence offered an option to either switch to their dumb box or get a refund.

I opted for the refund and was told that I will get the remaining balance refunded to the provided bank account. Accordingly, they deactivated my connection the same day and collected the box a couple of days later.

However, to my surprise, the CEO desk then dropped me a mail stating that they will deduct 2499 from my balance as I had terminated the connection prior to 6 months which as per their T&C is what they are liable to do for early termination.

I have now filed a separate complaint on NCH about unfair deduction and if they still don't refund the full amount, then guess Consumer Commission is the only way to go. Just highlights the awful state of customer service with Tata Sky and I would never recommend getting a connection from them.
WTF. what kind of evil thing is that ? Yikes.
I am never getting a TATA sky connection.

WTF. what kind of evil thing is that ? Yikes.
I am never getting a TATA sky connection.
Seriously, once it went to the CEO's desk, I was expecting a professional resolution. It seemed that way until for whatever reason, they decided they can make extra money off a departing customer.

Had asked them to process the full refund after they sent the deduction mail, but yet to hear back from them. Hope they respond, come Monday, but the entire experience has left a sour experience.

It is impossible to basically trust them with large payments in advance because it seems they can come up with various charges at the time of disconnection.

I had a similar experience with act stream box, it's better to buy firestick for its smooth performance relative to the junk given by this service providers.

NCH closed my initial complaint from early June stating company has responded when their response was "informed customer about cancellation process". Registered a grievance last week for unfair deduction for the 2499 that said they will deduct for early termination and another one this week for refund not credited.

No response from their CEO ID for a week. Guess this isn't going to be fast. Saw the e-daakhil processes but guess that is more involved requiring affidavits in specific formats and upfront payments to take the case to court, so probably a last resort.

Back