User Guides Temperature difference between 500RPM and 1700RPM

Hey guys, So i bought an AIO for cpu cooling during winter with RGB fans, when i ran the fans they were very noticeable because of low noise floor, so i set the fan speed of them down to 500RPM, even at that speed the overclocked 8700k CPU ran extremely cool. So then i wondered how much more cooling performance will i get if i run them at full speed. I was lazy so I took time to do the comparison and now its summer already.

I will be comparing fan temperature difference between stock fans of GAMMAXX L360 V2 AIO and then swap the fans with EK-Vardar F3-120 (1850rpm), i will run both of them at 500 and at max speed, its summer so i kept ceiling fan off even when sitting in a sauna i mean my room.

System specs
  • Case : AKDesigned Open Air X
  • Cpu : Intel i7-8700K @ 4.7/5.2Ghz base/turbo (Deledid, LM, Resealed)
  • Cooler : Deepcool GAMMAXX L360 V2
  • Fans 1 : 3x Stock fans of GAMMAXX L360 V2
  • Fans 2 : EK-Vardar F3-120 (1850rpm) (came with S360 kit)
  • Motherboard : MSI Z370 SLI Plus
  • RAM : 4x8GB Gskill trident Z RGB @ 3600mhz cl16
  • GPU : Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC
Test videos

Stock fans
EKWB fans

Results

result.png

Conclusion
So with stock fans we saw a difference of upto 3.9'C between 500RPM vs 100% speed which is very low considering almost 3.5x faster fan speed. And with EKWB fans we saw upto 9'C difference between 500RPM vs 100% speed, this is probably because they have lower air flow rate at low RPM.
It is clear that stock fans performed way better at 500RPM test than EKWB beating EKWB by 5.6'C, and similar performance at max fans speed. This is probably because EKWB fans are designed for high static pressure which is useful when there is restriction in path of air flow, but since the test was done in open air case so the only restriction was low fin density radiator so EKWB's advantage wasn't handy here. I kept the ceiling fan OFF during test as the difference between 500RPM and 100% speed with stock fans was turning out just 2'C with ceiling fan ON.

Back