Monitors TFT or LCD monitor!!

BIKeINSTEIN

Skilled
Hello everyone,
I sincerely have no idea on this!!:ashamed:

What is better in a Display panel- TFT or LCD??

Which is newer Tech??

And if i wanna Buy a 17" or 19" monitor for 3dsmax, which one??

I read here on TE about MVA/PVA, IPS- thanks Chaos, but i am still like "DUH"!!:ashamed:

Super noob questions but i guess by now, you'll are used to such gems from me!!:rofl:

My knowledge about this may be pretty noob-ish....so, neone plz feel free to correct me if im wrong.

afaik. TFT aka "Thin Film Transistor" is a technology used in current generation LCD panels aka "active matrix LCDs". So, according to this theory of mine all TFT panels are infact LCDs & that is why they are reffered to as "TFT LCD Screens".

Further, I think, that the older LCD (non-tft) panels which I think were also know as passive matrix panels (which had pathetic response times btw) are not available anymore.

@joess is correct.

TFT (Thin Film Transistor) is a variation of LCD technology known as active matrix (where LCD is passive), so one could say they're roughly the same thing. TFT is superior in both resolution, colour reproduction, response times and viewing angles over standard LCD technology and has become de rigueur within the market.

TFT is superior technology because it is different in the way colors are displayed. I could post some technical info with diagrams if that could help ??:D :D

You can get TFT, HPA, DSTN, STN, or CSTN to describe the TYPE of LCD you are looking at.

You cant actually buy anything other than a TFT in the shops nowadays, as the other technologies are so inferior. Older laptops (and we are talking 486's and monochrome screens here) used the DSTN or one of the alternatives, and some early desktop screens did too, but they have been long since phased out in favor of TFT.

So, suffice to say, if you go out and buy a flat screen PC monitor. It will almost certainly be a TFT. (unless its a plasma but thats a whole other kettle of fish) If a shop lists the screen as a LCD and not a TFT, they are most likely confusing their terms, or just using the term the manufacture uses. Ive seen shops that sold "PCs" and "Personal Computers" in seperate sections too due to manuf descriptions, despite being the exact same thing.

So in LCD and TFT LCD both of those are definatly TFTs, but they are referred to as LCDs as the generic term.

Back