The 1990s / Early 2000s IndiPop Scene

raksrules

Elite
This forum has people from all age groups, right from teens to full grown uncles in their late 40s and may be even 50s. Many of us have been fortunate enough to see the transition of this country from what it was before liberalization to the advent of getting cable tv, then internet and exposing us to what was there outside.

This was the golden era (as we like to believe and feel it is true as well) of Indian music. Be it Bollywood or the parallel music industry of the Indi Pop scene which was growing in India.
Be it the "Chadti Jawani remix" which was considered Borderline p0rn (and didn't have guts to watch in front of dad or mom) or awesome remixes of DJ Suketu or the first time when we fell in love with someone on screen when we saw the "chui mui si preeti jhangiani". Songs like "The Ketchup Song" which you did not understand at all but loved it somehow or Raghav's angel eyes where the only thing you cared for when he sang the hindi part.

What is your fondest memory of the indipop scene in India from the 90s and early 2000s? May be tag you favorite one from youtube.

The best part for me was that each song was a story in itself. It was not the mindless jumping or half naked women in bad raps like today. It was genuinely good music, story and simple and relatable people in the tastefully done videos.

I was expecting this thread to be opened by the now banned Mr Dr Expert red dragon.
Anyways, I belong to that era and the songs be it pop or movies are still evergreen to hummm & hear.
DJ aqeel, shaan, pankaj udhas, some new singer faces who vanished after pop culture poped off in early 2000, sukhbir, Bally Sagoo, Bombay Rockers, Euphoria, Lucky Ali, Annamika, KK, Raghav, Stereo Nation, Shibani Kashyap, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Strings and many more..

Last edited:
Same here
Shweta shetty
Alisha Chinoy
Biddu
The great debut of Mika in Saawan mein lag gai aag
The awesome Afreen Afreen by NFA KHAN
and the Real King of original and remixes
Ballly sagoo
Then Malkit Singh
Many more

It is unfortunate that Bollywood killed the scene completely. It is ironic that despite the diversity of India, the country as a whole is so one-tracked in its appreciation of entertainment; be is sports, music or movies.

Back