The Aam Admi Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Party Monger

Skilled
Well, what can I say, a viable option to conventionally trashy political options in the country, has arrived.

Delhi is a hung assembly, with AAP eating both into BJP and congress's established vote shares and getting 28 seats, just 4 away from the BJP. The kind of candidates they feilded and the the reception these candidates got from public is just amazing.

I am inclined to think, irrespective of whether they get power, they will even make an awesome effective opposition too. At this rate, you cant rule out AAP getting some 50-70 seats in the National parliament too.

At this moment it seems unstoppable. Partly thanks to BJP and congress cause their voting demographic is people tired of corruption and both these parties have ensured that everystate in the country has had some kind of serious corruption. It might be funny, but BJP and Congress (and their corruption) is the biggest gain for AAP.

I am hearing some people say that AAP is too rude and immature for not accepting alliance with either of the big (read corrupt) parties. Well, if it is so, why don't BJP and Congress join hands and form the government? An effective opposition is far fruitful than being in a ineffective ruling alliance.

I think this is more anti-Congress than anti- big parties as many are making it out to be. Look at the thrashing Congress got in Rajasthan too. If there were any AAP members, they surely would have won too. I guess most of us are sick of Kangress.

PS:Btw, dint we already have a thread on AAP and Kejriwal? Just wondering why not continue there instead of a new thread.

I don't think this is just against the Congress. The BJP has bathed itself in plenty of corruption scandals. Who can forget Tehelka Scandal in the 2000-2010 ? Check Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehelka And then there is the famous rate hike of BSNL call rates to accommodate Reliance into the telecommunication game.. I think its time for these parties to reap what they have sowed with decades of corruption.

While China finishes very big and ambitious infrastructure projects well before time, in my own city a prominent flyover project is still being built at a snails pace for more than 15 years at significant multiples of the cost predicted earlier.

The BJP is a part of the same rot. There is no denying that. But some of the more conservative people will prefer the 'atleast not as bad as Congress' party ie. BJP over AAP till they are firmly established. In Delhi, the BJP very curtly changed its CM candidate in Delhi who had a criminal background and brought in the current candidate as a saving grace. Unless you arm twist even the BJP is not willing to be honest.

Had AAP had been here longer say 2-3 years, they would have swept the floor clean off both BJP and Congress.

Had AAP had been here longer say 2-3 years, they would have swept the floor clean off both BJP and Congress.
The same thing happened when the BJP/Janata Party rose into prominence after the Emergency. They had honest leaders and were rising on the anger against the congress. Now, as you say, it is part of the same rotten core. What's to say AAP will not fall into the same rut after Kejriwal?

The same thing happened when the BJP/Janata Party rose into prominence after the Emergency. They had honest leaders and were rising on the anger against the congress. Now, as you say, it is part of the same rotten core. What's to say AAP will not fall into the same rut after Kejriwal?
As far as I know they have made enough Checks and balances regarding party candidates. When there is transparency and accountability there is a chance that the unwanted elements be kept out.

What I don't understand is why aren't the AAP folks trying to form a govt if someone gives them the support? Surely some of their candidates won't like this 'stance'..

Although I'd like to think that I see where this is going - it's all the game of who blinks first at the expense of the exchequer:
AAP got all the votes bashing the 'rotten system' - now with the hung assembly, if the BJP tries its hand at Operation Lotus, then they can scream again about corruption so the BJP won't do anything. And I don't think Kejriwal himself expected to get such huge numbers so he's kinda confused (pu$$ying out?) on how to go forward - if he becomes the CM and doesn't walk his talk, he's screwed too..
Congress has no say in it - the central govt. will just wait and watch I suppose..

For once I'm excited to see this how this political game pans out..

That was totally different. The person who led the movement was a freedom fighter who went back to his village after defeating congress. Dont see Arvind Kejriwal going anywhere.

And more importantly, that wasnt corruption that was against Indira gandhi and her autocratic rule.
What I don't understand is why aren't the AAP folks trying to form a govt if someone gives them the support? Surely some of their candidates won't like this 'stance'..

Although I'd like to think that I see where this is going - it's all the game of who blinks first at the expense of the exchequer:
AAP got all the votes bashing the 'rotten system' - now with the hung assembly, if the BJP tries its hand at Operation Lotus, then they can scream again about corruption so the BJP won't do anything. And I don't think Kejriwal himself expected to get such huge numbers so he's kinda confused (pu$$ying out?) on how to go forward - if he becomes the CM and doesn't walk his talk, he's screwed too..
Congress has no say in it - the central govt. will just wait and watch I suppose..

For once I'm excited to see this how this political game pans out..

Because Because Because Because Because they promosed their voters that they would not support or take support from anyone else, before the elections itself. Here's a party that keeps its promises :)
And makes strategic sense to me. Most of the other parties are established drenched in corruption. How do you fight corruption by being a supported by a corrupt party ?

Let the people vote them into complete majority and then they'l form the govt. And that makes the most sense.
Because

^^Yes, they are not standing to challenge the law of "power corrupts everyone." They are just trying to disrupt the established supremacy of corrupt parties, who think the public will just suck up and accept either one in cycles. They will become one of them after some years? Maybe. But until then, it is very cynical to not even give them the chance.

Because Because Because Because Because they promosed their voters that they would not support or take support from anyone else, before the elections itself. Here's a party that keeps its promises :)
And makes strategic sense to me. Most of the other parties are established drenched in corruption. How do you fight corruption by being a supported by a corrupt party ?

Let the people vote them into complete majority and then they'l form the govt. And that makes the most sense.
Because

Wonder what those who've won the elections will have to say about getting into another election. They may very well think that Kejriwal is trying to up his stock at the expense of the others.. 6 months later if elections are held, what's the guarantee that AAP or any one party will get absolute majority? If there's another hung assembly, go for another election? Surely that's not in the interest of everyone involved.

^^Yes, BJP and Congress should think about it and form an alliance, and the government too. After all, for how many years more will they fool people claiming that they are at loggerheads while still being two faces of the same coin?

Why is only AAP being held responsible for being satisfied sitting in the opposition? It is their logical choice considering the fact that they don't have the numbers. At least they are not changing their promise of not allying with other corrupt parties, who also happen to field many candidates facing serious criminal charges. How will they fight against these kind of people if they join with them?

In the end money corrupts all . So will the aap .
I have a theory, its goes something like this:- "Those who have already been corrupted by money, think money corrupts all. Corruption lies in the heart of people, if you are corrupt, money will corrupt you, if not, its just means to an end."

Wonder what those who've won the elections will have to say about getting into another election. They may very well think that Kejriwal is trying to up his stock at the expense of the others.. 6 months later if elections are held, what's the guarantee that AAP or any one party will get absolute majority? If there's another hung assembly, go for another election? Surely that's not in the interest of everyone involved.
Even those who won promised the same deal. If they lose, they lose. Whats the big deal? Even with 10 seats AAP will affect the govt in so many ways. You cant be corrupt on the watch of a party that wins vote bank on anti-corruption agenda! :)

AAP got all the votes bashing the 'rotten system'.
meaning AAP votes were protest votes ?

They got those votes because they were not somebody else rather than what they are which given their short life remains to be seen.[DOUBLEPOST=1386693852][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, reminds of the swatantra party.

Lets leave AAP out of the picture for a minute - in the larger picture of a democracy, how should such hung verdicts be resolved?
Form an alliance or go for re-elections.

A worthy example: Italy 2013 general elections, and the Five Star Movement party (closely resembles AAP's ideals). I haven't read much about it, but the results seem to be in favour of the people at large, which is what a democracy is about.

Form an alliance or go for re-elections.

A worthy example: Italy 2013 general elections, and the Five Star Movement party (closely resembles AAP's ideals). I haven't read much about it, but the results seem to be in favour of the people at large, which is what a democracy is about.

Ok so now in the context of what happened in Delhi, what do you think should happen?

(I haven't read the link you posted - will do once I have time)

Ok so now in the context of what happened in Delhi, what do you think should happen?

(I haven't read the link you posted - will do once I have time)
If it is an alliance, the BJP being the largest party should extend/ask the support of Congress to form the government; the same applies to Congress too, having shamed themselves in the election. AAP has already told that they are happy sitting in the opposition, as their main goal is to fight against the corrupt parties, not form government with them.

This is democracy at its finest, but some people are still irrational, just seeing the end goal in sight, and not the process by which you reach there. The best part about the hung verdict is that a party which is known to "horse-trade" MLAs in other states doesn't want to do that in Delhi, because the people have also voted for a party which stands against those practices. Just imagine, the parties are afraid of what the people might think about such practices. Suddenly, BJP wants to be an effective opposition, while all these years they played gloves in hands with Congress. And Congress, haha, not even worth talking about them now.

If no alliance is possible, then going for re-elections is the last resort. Delhi will be safe in the hands of president rule for 6 months, or even a year; after all, the CM in Delhi is virtually useless as far as running the state is concerned. Most of the development and law and order tasks are handled by the lieutenant Governor, and the municipal corporations do the rest of the civic duties.

Even if AAP loses a few seats in the re-election and allows BJP to form the government, they would still have won a major victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back