The AirPods Pro 2 will soon double as hearing aids

nullpc

Disciple

Apple has announced a batch of hearing health updates coming to the AirPods Pro 2, including a new “clinical grade” hearing aid feature. The iPhone maker says the hearing aid functionality is still awaiting FDA clearance, but it expects the agency’s approval alongside other regulatory bodies “soon.”
A new clinically validated hearing test feature will also be included in this update that can help to detect hearing loss. Apple says the test requires both the AirPods Pro and a connected iPhone and can be taken in under five minutes.

1725907357869.png

I’m curious how this stacks up against the ridiculously expensive medical-specific ones in this space.

I was shocked to see the price for one of them in this forum for sale recently: https://techenclave.com/threads/hea...-r-hearing-aid-warranty-till-nov-2025.213289/

90k! There are cheaper ones for sure but I guess they might often be a lot shittier at most other aspects of an “earphone”. Definitely need a disruption and I hope this is shaping to be one.

I’m curious how this stacks up against the ridiculously expensive medical-specific ones in this space.

I was shocked to see the price for one of them in this forum for sale recently: https://techenclave.com/threads/hea...-r-hearing-aid-warranty-till-nov-2025.213289/

90k! There are cheaper ones for sure but I guess they might often be a lot shittier at most other aspects of an “earphone”. Definitely need a disruption and I hope this is shaping to be one.
I was working as a Subcon for one of these world renowned hearing aids companies implementing ERP for them. One model of their hearing aid is sold to the consumers at nearly $8,000 while the COGS (Cost of goods sold - i.e., the cost of the individual materials/parts) is around $108. I believe the stores that sell these hearing aids make close to $2K per piece, including tuning the hearing aid for the patient's needs.

Jesus, that’s quite the hefty markup. Then again, Apple is no stranger to that. But their pricing looks crazy reasonable now in comparison.

Back