The best metal vocalists

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
Please name 3-5 of the best vocalists in hard rock/ metal in your opinion (any genre except cookie monster vocals and completely /mostly falsetto like King Diamond)
For me...1. Rob Halford 2. Bruce Dickinson 3. Ozzy ( he will always be number 1 for me) 4. Chris Cornell
Must include James Hetfield ( fully aware of his limitations, but simply love his ending of words style)
Who are yours?

Not much into rock/metal these days. Some of these may fall under Rock n Roll/ Soft Rock. I enjoyed listening to the following vocalists' Brian Johnson, Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie James Dio, Phil Collins, and Axl Rose.

Oh!! How could I forget Dio!! Axl sounded really powerful in his prime. Never mind the genre, any rock act is welcome. In fact I also don't listen to newer heavy metal bands.

jorn lande, david coverdale, sebastian bach, phil anselmo, besides some that the others have mentioned like dio, dickinson & cornell.

ozzy is a strange choice. I think it's just that his voice is something we are used to hearing on those particular songs? A bit like mustaine?

bonus: popular singer that I dislike - james labrie from dt.

@red dragon - there are youtube videos by rick beato on some of cornell's songs where he plays the vocal parts without the instruments. one really gets to appreciate the power in those!

Last edited:
Chester Bennington is my favorite. I always end up singing along. and of course freddy mercury.

Last edited:
jorn lande, david coverdale, sebastian bach, phil anselmo, besides some that the others have mentioned like dio, dickinson & cornell.

ozzy is a strange choice. I think it's just that his voice is something we are used to hearing on those particular songs? A bit like mustaine?

bonus: popular singer that I dislike - james labrie from dt.

@red dragon - there are youtube videos by rick beato on some of cornell's songs where he plays the vocal parts without the instruments. one really gets to appreciate the power in those!
Huge fan of Beato here, got his book too. Yes, I have heard those. And have stems of many Soundgarden songs ( That's what he play..those are unmixed stems of recordings) Oh yes, Chris Cornell was possibly the best in that genre along with Layne Staley IMHO.

Last edited:
Floor Jansen, Kristyn Hayter, Emma Ruth Rundle, Anneke van Grisben, Agnette

Mike Patton, Mikael Akerfeldt (pre 2005), Aaron Turner, Ken Andrews, Serge Tankian, Chuck Schuldiner, Nate Newton, Dan Swano, Maynard James Keenan

ERR covering Cranberries:

Last edited:
Ken Andrews? One of the best? Nate Newton? Thought he's a bass player. Never knew Dan Swano has fans here!! That's a rather unique and very diverse group of musicians.
Thanks a lot for the very unique cover!!
sebastian bach

I've not heard much of Skid row, but the vocals in 18 and life is really insane!!
I absolutely love Chuck Schuldiner's guitars but not really into that kind of vocals ( but totally understand how difficult it is technically)
Same with Akerfeldt...used to love the entire Blackwater Park album and have listened to it thousands of times, but now it gives me headache at times ( don't know what the hell is going wrong with me, can't even listen to Slayer anymore!!! And I WAS A METALHEAD for sure and played bass with number of metal bands for close to 25 years..now I don't even practice regularly and play keyboards with pop musicians online!!)

Last edited:
Back