CPU/Mobo The cheapest build

Vulc4n

Adept
Hi Guys,

My requirement is fairly unique so would be grateful for suggestions specific to it.

(1) I have to build a PC which will basically be a DC++/FTP server over LAN. The number of people accessing it at a time would be around 100 but the number of upload/download slots will be capped at around 10-15 to ensure good bandwidth.
(2) The most important thing for component selection is PRICE (provided it meets the requirements specified below), followed by RELIABILITY and last of all PERFORMANCE. This is because the system will not run any taxing applications and the money available is public money so have to be thrifty with it.

In the light of these circumstances please suggest a good build along with the best price for each of the components (from sources who will ship out)

(A) The System (except storage)

Motherboard - The primary requirement is the number of SATA ports. Some motherboards have 6 (that is the minimum there should be). Are there any with 8 say? The system will never be overclocked, and should have basic graphical capabilities since a graphics card will not be installed.

CPU - The most basic dual core that can be got. Am inclined towards C2D but may look at AMDs as well.

RAM - Minimum 4 GB, preferably standard/non-performance provided it will last.

Power supply - Enough to run those 6-8 hard disks and a bunch of fans. No graphics card. Was thinking of a CM 600W.

Cabinet - This has to be really good. It should be able to house those number of HDDs, should be well ventilated and should be able to carry a bunch of fans. Am prepared to spend for a good cabinet.

Monitor - A good entry level LCD.

Optical Drive - A good entry level one

Rest of the peripherals (keyboard, mouse etc)

(B) The storage
The most important dimension here is storage capacity vis a vis the cost and not performance. So dont go suggesting Raptors :hap5:
Given the prices currently which is more VFM - a 750 GB or a 1 TB. In other words does it make sense to buy 4*750 GB or 3*1TB.
Also which company? I was thinking 7200.11 but willing to look at WD or Hitachi as well.

Thanks for your patience

Vulc4n,
Would there be nothing running except dc++ and ftp server? These activities are largely I/O bound rather than CPU bound i.e. bottleneck is never the CPU whether you have one client or a thousand clients. So I don't see why you need a dual core.

Similarly for RAM. Assuming you have a few terabytes storage and clients can ask for any file on any disk at any time, 4GB RAM will not improve the performance at all above 512MB RAM. Even 512 is only needed if you insist on running windows, and hence antivirus. 4GB RAM would help if it is overwhelmingly certain that most of the clients would be accessing the same file again and again; and a large part of of the storage is unused.

Single core sempron/celeron will cost you about 1400 and be as fast as phenom/nehalem for your I/O bound purposes. Atom is even cheaper but you would not find an Atom motherboard with 6 SATA ports. 512MB RAM would go nicely with these low profile processors.

Yeah well there would almost certainly be nothing else running on the server. So yeah theoretically I could go for a single core proccy as well. Depends on how much the difference is between a single core and the cheapest dual core. If its around 500-1k might as well go for a dual core.

And RAM, ya come to think of it 4 GB is an overkill. 1-2 GB would be more suitable (512 is psychologically dissuading i think :))

The difference is about 1300-1400 in both AMD and Intel families. See TheITWares - Processors (CPU Intel , AMD). This difference might come down in some months, not sure.

I have a eeepc here for similar purposes (though my storage requirements are very low, and portability requirements are a bit high). It is using 131 MB out of 512 MB RAM. It uses 20% of its 630MHz single core processor to serve data at its full network speed (100Mbps).

Well then can I have a config with a good single core and alternative dual core (with corresponding motherboards)?

Come on guys, waiting for your recommendations...

question 1 Motherboard - nope u need good motherboard without graphic card

many normal motherboard come with 4 sata or 6 sata

but u need high end motherboard such DFL lan party p35 or x38 or

gigabyte p35 or asus p45 with 8 sata

question 2 cpu for dual core is better recommend e7200 or e4500 intel duo 2 or amd 4800 with amd MSI K9A2 Platinum AMD 790FX Motherboard mo but performance are not same

question 3 ram are u using 64 bit os for future proof :p

2 gb dual channel is enough it help u fix budget if u want value or heat spread ram any brand are cheap

question 4 psu cm 600 watt is not enough it has some heating problem and noise problem

even corsair can handle over 6 hard disk it come with 6 molex power for sata connect it has 12 v at 32 amps single rail

Welcome to Corsair :: VX Power Supply Product Information

question 5 cabinet coolmaster 690 it is best cabinet with lot of good air flow

so no brainier ;) Virtual-Hideout | Cooler Master CM 690 ATX Enclosure Review

question 6 Monitor for budget 9-14 k dell 19-222 owner

but u need basic gpu card such nvidia 7100 gs or ati 3450 with hdmi ready

question 7 optical driver u need good sata samsung dvd r+w for 1k only ;)

another brand has same performance no confused

Motherboard - The primary requirement is the number of SATA ports. Some motherboards have 6 (that is the minimum there should be). Are there any with 8 say? The system will never be overclocked, and should have basic graphical capabilities since a graphics card will not be installed.

Best mobo with onboard gfx and will be 780g :eek:hyeah:
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H for 5.5k (5 sata ports)
Asus M3A78-EH for 5k (6 sata ports) :hap2:

Onboard gfx is good for good entry level LCD....

CPU - The most basic dual core that can be got. Am inclined towards C2D but may look at AMDs as well.

Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.1GHz 1MB L2 cache for 2.8k (most basic)
Athlon 64 X2 5200+ for 5.8k (recommended)

RAM - Minimum 4 GB, preferably standard/non-performance provided it will last.
Transcend 2gb x 2 for around 4k

Power supply - Enough to run those 6-8 hard disks and a bunch of fans. No graphics card. Was thinking of a CM 600W.
Best bet will be a VX450 for 3.5k
CM600 is also good for 3.1k

But for ur requirements I would recommend CM460 for 1.9k
Cabinet - This has to be really good. It should be able to house those number of HDDs, should be well ventilated and should be able to carry a bunch of fans. Am prepared to spend for a good cabinet.

Cm690 for 4k :hap2:

Monitor - A good entry level LCD.

Dell 19" 9.5k

Optical Drive

No brainer here
Samsung 20x SATA SH-203B :hap2: 1.2k

Thanks guys for the help. Reps added.

However a few follow on questions. Looks like the motherboard suggested by ajayarun is the best bet if they have some graphics capabilitites (for the 8 sata ports) with the rest of ronnie_gogs suggestions good as well.

However i would like some idea about the prices.

Also the all important storage. Is seagate the only thing i should luk at? 750 GB or 1 TB hard-disks?

Back