Monitors The Chronicles of a Monitor Search

Have you ever tried to change or upgrade what you may be starring the most…?
Ok I didn’t mean your girl friend or the girl sitting next to your desk, But the typical Monitor. Yes the same thing which reduces our eye blink counts apart from gorgeous girls.
Even i tried the Same after getting squinted of a 15.4 lcd (obviously it’s the Laptop), Needed a better ext monitor which can double up as a standalone for the desktop…

This started all at 4Q of 2008
The major reason is being the screen real estate for my cad cam applications (Being an Advanced CNC CAM Programmer), browsing & internet activities, put in a simple form multitasking.
As the current space was not that roomy, I needed the Monitor to be small as well. so the search was focused on 20~22 inchers.
But as with any long term idea, it grows in your mind to explore the various extensions and possibilities.
The same happened here too,
With the inspiration of Apple Led Display (Pls... it’s only an inspiration, not to be compared), started to be an extension of my current laptop, where I need to plug in minimum cables to be converted like a desktop. So the need of an USB hub, & speakers had joined my requirement list. If the pixel pitch is nearly equal to my laptop screen (a 15.4 incher 1280x800), then it would bring a better experience.
Another thought, if I get a desktop in future, may be a high end config or a low power download rig. I should not fiddle with lot of cables to switch from my desktop to laptop. So Multiple inputs was the de facto standard…
[BREAK=Page 2]
Still reading, great. Since the Display being planned 3-4 Yrs, HDMI would be great to have, not only that, connecting my laptop via HDMI would eliminate the audio cable too (Hooray, easier switching).
When the search had begun, (~Jul 2008) the 17 & 19 were the mainstreams, having 1440x900 (too little for my requirements), so I planned a 20 incher 1680x1050, 16:10 monitors were major/only available. Moreover proper 20 incher square were rare & not that VFM. Even considered Samsung t220, it was on the higher side, but waited for the dust to settle down and grab a piece.
Some time passed, maybe dec2008/jan2009. The search rose again, by the time Full HD monitors were started to be available and were affordable too. The major leader being Benq e2200, nearly finalized and if time (read recession) would have been different, I would have written the same review for a benQ e2200 (Benq Users, I just missed your league).
At that time Samsung released a full hd monitor, s2233W, with full HD and dvi +vga. When pitted against a technical weighing scale, I was ready to leave HDMI for the brand Samsung.
Was I ready to get that, NO. The backlight bleed and small niggling factors shaken my decision to the level of postponing my purchase.
Then the Acer v233h, Avoided at the beginning for the Colors & Contrast but, that made me to consider the 23 segment, once considered a premium.
Oh My god, Another Samsung, seems that they never omit an emerging segment. A P2350, great looks, DVI + VGA.
[BREAK=Page 3]
And upon search, I got the details of a dell monitor Named SP2309W, higher than full HD, HDMI +VGA+DVI, MIC+Camera, 4 USB Ports, Glossy Panel & More importantly Height, Tilt, rotary Adjustments (definitely will help a TN panel with Glossy finish).
Waited for a month and searched for the reviews, problems & niggling things. Found out the Annoying <100% buzz problem. Ok am I ready for the monitor, Definitely Yes.

Then the hurdle, The monitor was not easily available and worse not even listed in dell India site. But an Indian site reviewed it. Then determined it should be my monitor. Asked my father of Search, Google, and His advice gave me the list of dell dealers in Chennai. I always prefer Face dealing even if it costs a grand more. Finally got a guy ready to take the order, He asked 16000K INR which negotiated to 15700, and demanded 10 days for delivery with 25% advance. Gone ahead and booked it, got the delivery in 10 days. Mean time was spent in arranging my workplace to accommodate the monitor.
Checking the value with a P2350, the addition of USB Ports, Camera, Mic, Brighter display with glossy finish, a DVI Cable, and Adjustment options definitely make the extra 3k worth.
Hope this Overview was fine for a first time writer…
Your comments and suggestions Please..

Dear All,
Thanks for your replies...

@all: Will soon Update with Much more pictures of the monitors i considered.
And better Pictures as well...
@cravikum: I had planned to put a Separate full fledged review of my Dell sp2309W.
and this review is intended on the search of the monitor and How & Why i had chosen it...

Pls wait for a detailed review of Dell sp2309w Soon...

Back