Monitors The LCD Jargon Thread

! 0 t A

Skilled
Have read umpteen threads on high res monitors , on what to purchase and in what range. Too many specs and too many terms making me go crazy.:S

So wanted to get some of the "Technical" terms clarified. Also seeing many TE members too are in need of such guidance.

So lets get started.

1. What difference does it make if you have a 16:9 and a 16:10 monitor resolution pertaining to price and the viewing pleasure for both gaming and movies.

2. The HDMI/DVI drama : Now a lot of people are demanding HDMI ports [even more than one in some cases] without actually knowing its application. Now i know that quality for DVI/HDMI is same , only that HDMI has audio bundled in it. But what is the applicability ? Which port do the PS3/Xbox 360 consoles require ?

3. The popular Samsung P2350 is listed as 23 inches while the DELL S24WFP listed on TE is listed as 23.6 inches [ being 16:9] so are both sizes the same or what ?

4: How does a 720p video look on a 16:9 Full HD monitor which is made for 1080p resolution ?

Clarifications from experienced TE members will go a long way in simplifying the purchase process for the 24" monitor segment which has recently become very affordable.

Don't worry Iote, I'm here to clear all your doubts (though I know you still won't be satisfied). :D

1. What difference does it make if you have a 16:9 and a 16:10 monitor resolution pertaining to price and the viewing pleasure for both gaming and movies?

If you consider only games, nowadays all games come with the option for 16:9 resolution i.e. 1920x1080.

Movies, as you very well know are a different matter altogether. Most of the movies and the series nowadays are in 16:9 format. So, you will not get black bars, no cropping required and hence a better experience. As far as I know, there are no differences in the quality of the print if viewing at different resolutions on a similar sized monitor. People can correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't know the exact reason, but 16:9 monitors are cheaper to build than similarly sized 16:10 monitors. Thus, a 24" 1920x1200 monitor will be much more expensive than a 24" 1920x1080 monitor, if other factors like screen panel etc are kept constant.

2. The HDMI/DVI drama : Now a lot of people are demanding HDMI ports [even more than one in some cases] without actually knowing its application. Now i know that quality for DVI/HDMI is same , only that HDMI has audio bundled in it. But what is the applicability ? Which port do the PS3/Xbox 360 consoles require ?

HDMI and DVI offer the same video quality. PS3 provides HDMI as well as as analog output so no worries there.

3. The popular Samsung P2350 is listed as 23 inches while the DELL S24WFP listed on TE is listed as 23.6 inches [ being 16:9] so are both sizes the same or what ?

Should be same. Wait for a response by an actual owner.

4: How does a 720p video look on a 16:9 Full HD monitor which is made for 1080p resolution ?

It will look the same. It will play at 720p. You will not know the difference. Tried this on the Benq T2200HD and my own LG W2252S.

Obviously, 1080p will look better than 720p, (when you are sitting inches away from the screen) but 720p will look the same.

Sei said:
Don't worry Iote, I'm here to clear all your doubts (though I know you still won't be satisfied). :D

HDMI and DVI offer the same video quality. PS3 provides HDMI as well as as analog output so no worries there.
Yup, both offer same quality. With HDMi you can connect headphones to your monitor for best quality headphone outs. Most monitors dun offer 6/8 channel outs from HDMI unlike HDTVs, as far as i know, HDMI on monitor is somewhat waste, but surelly worth if you have PS3/X360 coz it has slight better quality than analog for sure. But not at all worth if you plan to connect to your PC only.

It will look the same. It will play at 720p. You will not know the difference. Tried this on the Benq T2200HD and my own LG W2252S.
Obviously, 1080p will look better than 720p, (when you are sitting inches away from the screen) but 720p will look the same.

Yup, both are almost same if you view from atleast 2.5 foot away from screen, on a 22" screen. You will start finding difference more quickly as the screen size increases. You can notice the diff quickly on a 32" full HD and above size screens, but not that easily on a 22" or 24" screen.

! 0 t A said:

Both should do OK on a monitor.

There are hdmi-dvi cables available. You will have no loss in quality.

If two ports exist on a monitor, it just makes things easier so you can have both sources (console + computer) connected at the same time and select which source in your monitor menu.

whatsinaname said:
Both should do OK on a monitor.
There are hdmi-dvi cables available. You will have no loss in quality.

If two ports exist on a monitor, it just makes things easier so you can have both sources (console + computer) connected at the same time and select which source in your monitor menu.

Wow thanks for clearing that UP !!:clap:

Sei said:
Don't know the exact reason, but 16:9 monitors are cheaper to build than similarly sized 16:10 monitors. Thus, a 24" 1920x1200 monitor will be much more expensive than a 24" 1920x1080 monitor, if other factors like screen panel etc are kept constant.
It is so because, the screen real estate i.e total area of the screen for 16:10 monitor will be more than a 16:9 monitor. The diffrence in case of true 24" (not 23.6") monitors is less but it is substantial in case of 22" 16:10 and 22" (actually 21.5") 16:9 monitors.
Sei said:

Should be same. Wait for a response by an actual owner.
No they are not, but actual difference is hardly noticeable. DellS248WFP is 23.6", same as Benq G2412HD ( I realised it later that Benq G2412HD is 23.6", the indian site lists it as 24"). Dell S2409W is a true 24". Sammy P2350 is true 23".

^^ I just mite come !

The first market survey made by me today revealed the followinf things :

1. Local Pune dealers know shit about monitors.

2. They dont intend on keeping anything above 22' in stock

As for the prices :

1. BENQ E2400HD @ 11.8k @ Mahi Computers, MG

2. Samsung P2350 @ 12k @ Karan Solutions, MG

Both prices without bargain.

I am now confused between :

1. Benq : E2400HD : Cheapest [11.8k] but dont want speakers, sad ergonomics.

2. Dell : s2409W : Expensive [12.75k] but Better

3. Samsung P2350 : MID [12k] but 23"

F1 ! F1 ! [ Read Help :p]

SO most prolly buying the Samsung P2350.

Is it wise to get the DVI cable as well along with it ?

How good/Bad will it be with the converter ? My card has a DVI port so was wondering if it makes a good choice to get a cable.

The computer shop quoted a price of 350/- bux for the cable . How is the Pricing ?

Back