Linux The Linux Mint Thread

Do you use Linux Mint?

• Arch ftw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rootyme

Adept
Linux Mint is one of the most recommended Linux Distros by newcomers and veterans alike particularly because of its stability and ease of use. The User Interface features a traditional taskbar coupled with a start menu that every Windows user is extremely familiar with. This familiarity breeds the ease of transition.

The_Linux_Mint_Logo.svg.png

Today, the Linux Mint developers have finally released Linux Mint 22 after rigorous bug fixing over the course of multiple weeks. It is based on Ubuntu 24.04 and will be supported till 2029. Ubuntu, in turn, is based on Debian - the age old and dependable de facto Linux Distro. If you prefer the Debian package base instead of Ubuntu, Linux Mint has a pure Debian based Distro named LMDE. LMDE stands for "Linux Mint Debian Edition".

Coming back to Linux Mint 22, among the most notable features of this release are:
  • Linux Mint 22 ships with modern components and the new Ubuntu 24.04 package base.
  • Cinnamon 6.2
  • To guarantee better compatibility with modern hardware, the kernel is version 6.8 and Linux Mint 22.x point releases will follow the HWE series.
  • The default sound server switched to Pipewire.
  • The Software Sources received support for the new Debian DEB822 format.
  • Themes were updated to support GTK4.
  • JXL support was added to Pix and a new thumbnailer was implemented for it.
  • All software using libsoup2 were migrated to libsoup3.
  • HiDPI support improvements were made in the boot sequence, in Plymouth and Slick-Greeter.
  • Linux Mint 22 comes with a preinstalled Web App called Matrix.
  • Unverified Flatpaks are disabled by default.
You can find the complete release notes here:

The entire Linux Mint website is yet to reflect this release properly. The update has not yet reached all mirrors. But you can still download it from here if you are a bit restless.

Last edited:
Have used this for several years. I think I started with the very first version and used every version till Ubuntu 20.04 came about. I got use to Gnome after that so went back to Ubuntu. Yes, I am old.

Back