The myth about Siemens washing machines

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
I had bought a Siemens washing machine after reading several positive comments about its sturdiness and long life. On how it has lasted people 10 years and counting. The machine is nice I wont deny that. But after less than 4 years of usage it has stopped working. The service center guy said that the Logic board needs to be replaced and it will cost me 10K to get it done. On top of that the new board will have one month of warranty only.

Thats too much for a machine I bought for 22K in the first place. I might as well buy a new machine instead of getting it repaired from them.

Anyway the point is that I should probably stop believing in the reliability of an electronic good coz its from a particular brand. Siemens is not an exceptional brand compared to IFB, Samsung, LG etc. I guess just like laptops it depends on your luck. And that you should say your prayers when the warranty runs out.

So any recommendations on getting it repaired locally for much less?

Get the model number etc of the logic board, search it on ebay, you most prolly will get it. If its logic board, you can change it yourself

Half the times they arent even sure, try another guy and check exactly what he has based the diagnosis on. There was a loose connection near the drum on our machine and the guy said the logic board must have burnt. My mother insisted he check the drum connection, he did and found a loose connection. So make sure the diagnosis is correct, and get the logic board number as mentioned above so you can source it yourself. Pay the guy later to fix it for you or call them and ask the guy they send to do it for you for some extra money.

On how it has lasted people 10 years and counting.
this is the thing that most people overlook... people wrongly compare latest models with their decades old versions. long time back, things were made with passion and had good quality components. machines were much simpler.

things aren't built the same way today. one shouldn't rely solely on the past performance of the brands. there are few exceptions though, such as Miele.

can you take out the logic board and check for the issues? it's repairable as long as the IC is fine. if you are not into DIY then buy the board from Chinese sites. you can find all the popular models on aliexpress and the likes.

I am currently on the lookout for a washer dryer combo front loading machine. I visited the Siemens showroom at CMH road, Indiranagar Bangalore two days ago. I was quite disappointed to note that they have only one washer dryer combo model that is made in China.

Also, they have two classes of washing machines i.e. those made in India and those imported from Germany. The ones sourced from Germany are double the price of of the ones assembled in India.

Their dryers are all made in Germany though and the cost of the basic model is comparably reasonable (35-40K I think. I don't remember exactly).

I am sharing this information for those on the lookout for a washing machine at the moment.

Anyway, I will be settling on an LG washer dryer combo machine which I'm told are completely imported from Korea. LG also has direct drive (belt-less) drum rotation which I believe reduces the characteristic wobble of front loading machines.

These washer dryer combo machines cost a bomb though. I am getting a best price of 56K for the 8/6 kg model(luxury silver) and 73K for the 9/6 kg model(red). There is another 8/4 kg model but the price difference between that model and the 8/6 model makes the 8/6 model a better value for money proposition.

I've had a good experience with an LG Tromm washine machine purhased for my father in 2009. I'm hoping that that the quality hasn't gone down since then at least for the high-end models.

Last edited:
I had bought a Siemens washing machine after reading several positive comments about its sturdiness and long life. On how it has lasted people 10 years and counting. The machine is nice I wont deny that. But after less than 4 years of usage it has stopped working. The service center guy said that the Logic board needs to be replaced and it will cost me 10K to get it done. On top of that the new board will have one month of warranty only.

Thats too much for a machine I bought for 22K in the first place. I might as well buy a new machine instead of getting it repaired from them.

Anyway the point is that I should probably stop believing in the reliability of an electronic good coz its from a particular brand. Siemens is not an exceptional brand compared to IFB, Samsung, LG etc. I guess just like laptops it depends on your luck. And that you should say your prayers when the warranty runs out.

What did you do in the end ?

The service center guy said that the Logic board needs to be replaced and it will cost me 10K to get it done. On top of that the new board will have one month of warranty only.

Elsewhere i saw a guy facing a bill of 15k. he opened the machine looked at the board, replaced some bulging domed capacitors and its working fine.

Total cost: Rs.100 :) (equivalent)

This replace bulging caps thing i've seen been done on numerous other aging devices. PC's Tv's etc. Who knew.

Last edited:
Should add that doing this sort of fix works on non-weathered boards.

if its weathered, ie they coat the entire board with resin to extend the life, it can be harder to do a DIY fix. These would be for machines sold in the tropics.

you ain't updated us on your status yet..

have you picked up a new machine or what ?

Back