The new TL-WR1043ND would have more range than my RT-n13u?

coolraghav

Skilled
The new model has arrived at flipkart http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-...1,,,c,,,,,,,&gclid=CN-Lp4_jtLwCFWkB4god-BAANw

I have been using RT-N13U since last 3 years i suppose and I have tried upgrading to wd n600 dual band or tp-link wdr4300 both had less range than RT-N13U in 2.4ghz..

Has anyone tried this new model or knows how much tx power I can pull out of it? with rt-n13u I can pull around 23dbm easily without any distortion or noise which is the best part. So if I want to upgrade to single band or dual band router which allows me max tx power of like 24-25dbm easily which one you would suggest?

Source :-
http://www.tp-link.com/common/Spotlight/TL-WR1043ND.html?siteid=1
http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-...43ND&ref=b8dcb826-3508-4552-8e1c-9d471dac0fc0

TL-WR1043ND is not a new model. I have been using it for last 5-6months and guess it came it to the market much much earlier.

I got it for mostly the gigabit LAN part. I use the wireless connectivity but its not very important for me. But this is what I have noticed -
Compared to Buffalo WHR-G300N (with DD-WRT and some tweaking on tx power) that I had earlier -
1. Wireless range is much better (I live in a house with 14" thick walls). But I am not sure what a good range is. For me, its around 20-25ft that I have used.
2. It is much more stable. The wireless on the buffalo used to drop connections (around once an hour). I dont see such issues with this.

I guess DD-WRT firmware should give more control over tx power. I am still on stock.

EDIT:
Sorry, the link has a new model. But the model no is exact same. So, my opinion is based on the older model.

Everything is the same as with TP Link 1043, only the exterior design of the model has changed.

This is a single band router, also the max Tx is 20, even after installing DD-WRT on it there is really no option to push above 20.

I would ask you to drop TP Link 1043, and get something better.

hmm, so have you guys found out anything better? I still manage to get out 200MW noise free tx power out of rt-n13u which is still better than the tp-link 4300 i bought which is dual band three antennas what not. Infact I actually hate 5ghz band it surely gives you more bandwidth but its not meant for indian bungalows which have huge thick walls and not wooden homes like in US.

@ coolraghav, is there any utility to check the transmission potential of a wifi router ?. Seriously i require one because so long i relied upon reviews alone to buy them. Can you en-light me on this ? what is tx power and that MW blah blah. Sorry i am very weak in electronics ....

@abracadabra - I have the 1043nd old version which has 3 x 3 dbi antennas, but the new version has 5dbi antennas. Isnt there supposed to be a noticeable difference between the old and the new version due to the antennas ? or its just a gimmick to lure people to think this is better than other brands ?

@jinvidia If you increase the dBi, you increase the antenna's range, but you lose the amount of total area it covers. This is the trade off with antennas. If you increase the total gain, you decrease the total area covered. It doesn't matter how much power you put into it either. The 3dBi antenna will be better at covering a wider amount of total area, but won't pick up on those weaker signals; whereas, the 5dBi antenna will have less total area coverage, but will be able to reach those weaker signals.

So you mean, the 3dbi will cover more area but weak in penetrating walls and the 5dbi vice versa ?

I was under the impression that, a device whose signal can penetrate walls is good at covering wide area.

I cannot comment on how well the signals penetrate through walls, but you need to look into where you place your router and how much of a distance that it has to cover.

with rt-n13u I can pull around 23dbm easily without any distortion or noise which is the best part. So if I want to upgrade to single band or dual band router which allows me max tx power of like 24-25dbm easily which one you would suggest?
can you explain where/how you got that 24-25dbm figure from ?[DOUBLEPOST=1393051375][/DOUBLEPOST]
I still manage to get out 200MW noise free tx power out of rt-n13u which is still better than the tp-link 4300
Same again or the 200MW noise free tx power ?

If you increase the dBi, you increase the antenna's range, but you lose the amount of total area it covers. This is the trade off with antennas.
Increase dbi, increase range.

If you increase the total gain, you decrease the total area covered. It doesn't matter how much power you put into it either.
That's because the signal distorts with gain. You are pushing the transmitter beyond its designed level.

The 3dBi antenna will be better at covering a wider amount of total area, but won't pick up on those weaker signals; whereas, the 5dBi antenna will have less total area coverage, but will be able to reach those weaker signals.
Difference of 2dbi is slight. To notice a difference you need at least 6dBi.[DOUBLEPOST=1393051627][/DOUBLEPOST]
I cannot comment on how well the signals penetrate through walls, but you need to look into where you place your router and how much of a distance that it has to cover.
signal loses anywhere from 5-10dBi crossing a wall. If you upgrade your antenna say its a 3dbi to a 9dbi then the signal will cross one extra wall. You will get more range if its open area but we don't tend to have to much open area in homes. We have lots of walls.

i find router range estimates to be useless in estimating range for a given router, as these measurements are usually conducted in open areas in more or less ideal conditions. Better to mention number of walls and their thickness.

Back