The Perfect iPad Stand (((DIY)))

Switch

Skilled
Made this today in my workshop. Stole the idea from the net itself. Time taken to build the stand 30 minutes. Value priceless. The wood used is Steam Beach before anybody asks. I guess this one deserved a showoff. iPad is one of the rare gadgets which wowed me. So definitely deserved the stand.

Aaaah the techie carpenter with awesome skills. :D !! The finish is amazing !

Also I hope you have some cushion / soft material at the bottom to avoid scratches on your iPad. Implementing an ipod cable from the bottom would make it the perfect dock ;) You could be famous selling them on ebay or something . Just out of curiosity , how much does it cost approximately to make one ?

PS : It just struck me since you are into this field , can you tell me if its possible to get something like this made in India itself.Wooden cups for the headphones , measurements same as stock ones.

If you guys notice closely I use the iPad with a silicone case cover. So no tension of scratches. Also I don't need to make a hole for the sync cable as there is no correct way to hold the iPad. What I mean is that I can place it upside down and still use it while the 30pin connector is on the top :).

Regarding the cups... Well first I need one physically to get the perfect fit.

Thats a great work dude..
But some suggestions...
It is made of a grooving on a plank wood. which makes the load of the ipad rest on the frame edge. Since the CG of Ipad is far higher than the support point, the stress on the edge (bottom in contact with the wood groove) would increase.
I would suggest a support block at the back to support the ipad near CG. will yield much better stability and support

just a words of a manufacture & design engineer and a heriditary carpenter...

thirumalkumaran said:
Thats a great work dude..

But some suggestions...

It is made of a grooving on a plank wood. which makes the load of the ipad rest on the frame edge. Since the CG of Ipad is far higher than the support point, the stress on the edge (bottom in contact with the wood groove) would increase.

I would suggest a support block at the back to support the ipad near CG. will yield much better stability and support

just a words of a manufacture & design engineer and a heriditary carpenter...
Something I was wondering as well.

Congrats on the great work there! Looks neat

Taken that into consideration. That's why the reasone I mentioned I used steam beach. I could have used teakwood which is easily available or for that matter even rubber wood for the lighter color finish which I wanted but I still chose to use steam beach. Why cause it's much denser as compared to teak wood.

Also the thickness of the plank is almost 1.5" which is more then the usual. Also if you notice closely the stand follows the same principals of a original iPad stand. The weight of the iPad is balanced by the spread of the wood at the back.

I have tried playing games/typing/browsing on the thing and it feels pretty solid all the time. The only problem which I am facing is carrying from office to home so I just might end up making one more. Maybe then I would try a different design on the thing.

Also if your concern is about the contact points of the iPad with the stand which are basically the bottom edge and the lower section of the back then they too are pretty secure. The depth of the groove is almost 20mm which provides a good support from the back coupled with the fact that I use it with the silicon case cover which saves the lower edge getting damaged with too much weight being balanced on that edge.

Finally here is the source of the original design DIY wooden $5 iPad Dock / Stand I have actually gone overboard with the suggested sizes. Mine is 5" x 5" x 1.5" and I feel the pad is pretty secure on that thing...

P.S. I wrote the whole post on the iPad with it being rested on the stand.

Back