The Samsung Galaxy S thread

Wraith

Skilled
Got the Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile USA version of the Galaxy S). It is one stunning piece of hardware, the screen is brilliant and it plays 720p vids without a problem.

Hope it gets the Froyo soon.

Congrats, it most probably will. Did you notice any differences between the two cause the ATnT one is a bit different from S?

Does Galaxy S have front cam ?

i think we should use this thread as the definitive one for discussing Galaxy S, just like Spica one, so that all info should be in one place.

Another Galaxy S user here.

Battery life is pretty good on this phone for the kind of hardware it has, After I fully charged the phone on last Sunday evening, I forgot to switch off the WiFi and the battery drained to 50% by morning. the remaining battery still got me though the day easily enough. Anyway here are some tips to get the best out of the battery in Galaxy S. I am getting 4~5 days on a single charge for my typical usage which is 1 Hour calls every day and bit of Internet over WiFi and occasional game or vid playback by my curious colleagues checking out the phone. I charged my battery on Monday night and I still have battery left. I am charging it today, but I am pretty sure the remaining battery could have have got me though tomorrow afternoon at least.

1. Use a dark (preferably with a lot of black) wallpaper/live wallpaper. I am using NexusMod Live wallpaper with the dark setting. This save's a lot of battery life on a AMOLED/S-AMOLED screen as compared to something dandy like the Aquarium.

2. Remove home screens that you don't need. Don't add widgets that you don't use. More importantly don't use the Samsung widgets. I have only 3 home screens with the widgets I need.

3. Goto Settings->Wireless and Network->Mobile Networks and enable "Use only 2G Networks" when you are not going to use 3G. Indian users might definitely want to enable this.

4. Install Advanced task killer and kill any apps that you are not going to use regularly.

5. I have left screen brightness on Auto Adjust, but people might want to keep it manually at a low setting.

Saw the review on Technoholik and very impressed especially with price point with only 25k in India; whats the price in Mumbai ? Technoholik says its better than iPhone4

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Which is better when compare to Samsung - I9000 Galaxy S ?

I had to return my Vibrant because the retards at T-mobile charged my card twice and i was also charged overlimit charges by the bank!! Returned the phone, cancelled all transactions. Will have to wait till the end of the month to get this mess sorted out.

Cant wait to get my hands on the Vibrant again!

dinjo said:
Saw the review on Technoholik and very impressed especially with price point with only 25k in India; whats the price in Mumbai ? Technoholik says its better than iPhone4

^^ Hardware wise Galaxy S represents the best there is right now (except for a few things of course). So it boils down to the OS. Android does not have the maturity of Symbian (which was quite evident even within a few days of use) nor the simplicity of use/consistency that iOS achieved though deliberately dumbing down the UI and being restrictive at hardware and software levels. Android is all about customization and choice. You can change the look and feel of the OS in ways that goes way beyond simple themes that you see on most other phones. At the same time it would make you would feel like you are the system administrator of a Linux server. Its for people who would like/willing to mess around a lot with their phones. Ideal for geeks I would say. There would be a lot of people who would not find Android appealing, but to be fair Touch Wiz 3 goes a long way in making Android accessible for non-tinkerers.

^^ How much you paid for your Galaxy S ?

I'm not to find and get the demo of this phone here in Bangalore :( Any Bangalore friend could help me, I want to try this tomorrow :)

dinjo said:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Where do you get it for 25k? :O
@Parv, I could possible help you get one, PM if you need one tomorrow =)

Parv said:
^^ How much you paid for your Galaxy S ?

I'm not to find and get the demo of this phone here in Bangalore :( Any Bangalore friend could help me, I want to try this tomorrow :)

its available for demo at the Samsung shop in garuda mall. I checked it out there. they were selling it for 28

@Parv- Yup, buddy I own all those four ones. And each one is a excellent device :) I bought my Galaxy S for 26.8k. Dont pay anything over 27k as its easily available for 27k. Navi mumbai prices that is :)

For the past few years all the gadgets I have bought, only these smartphones are the ones which I use to the fullest extend. Hence decided to get good devices only ..

Lord Nemesis said:

1. Use a dark (preferably with a lot of black) wallpaper/live wallpaper. I am using NexusMod Live wallpaper with the dark setting. This save's a lot of battery life on a AMOLED/S-AMOLED screen as compared to something dandy like the Aquarium.

Ill add that red seem to be most power efficient color for amoled screens.

Jeff Sharkey

Back