The story of my rig..

AK3D

Adept
Ok, so heres the story, I'd assembled my rig and modded it early on. Looked great, and all that. But, I had to wait for the fans. Bikey helped me in my search, but 92 mm LED fans weren't to be found anywhere here. Thanks to KMD, I finally got my fans, and fitted them in today.

Current Rig
E4300@ 3 Ghz on a TR Ultra90, Gigabyte P965DS3, 3 GB G.Skill + PNY DDR2 800 RAM, PNY 7900 GS PCI-E, Creative Xfi XtremeMusic, MS Natural 4000 Keyboard, Logitech MX310 Mouse and a Coolermaster EP 600W. The monitor's a Dell E228WFP.

How I assembled the system.
With friends popping by from the US, it was easy to get the motherboard, RAM, graphics card and the sound card. I bought the processor locally. The heatsink's a long story, but I paid through my nose for it - 2050 Rs @ prime (including the extra 775 brackets).

Both the processor and the heatsink were concave!! I had to lap them both and then, the temperatures came tumbling down.

I couldn't find a case of my choice here in Ahmedabad (mind you, this was before I'd joined TE this year). After searching high and low, I settled on an iball mini server type case. While not up to the standards of the better names, its not bad at all.

I assembled all the components and had an easy OC to 3Ghz inspite of having 4 RAM modules. No hitches anywhere, everything worked.

Now, the modding bug had already bitten me, so, I got a nice 4 mm acrylic sheet, and had the side panel of the case cut neatly. I'd originally thought of doing it myself, but couldn't find a dremel anywhere here. The metal cutting cost 400 rupees, but it was well worth it. Next, I wanted some chrome screws to fit in the acrylic sheet, nowhere to be found :( . After searching a lot, I finally managed to get some stainless steel screws and they look good too! After drilling the holes in the acrylic sheet and fixing it with the SS screws, I thought it looked good.

Then, I thought I'd get a larger monitor - and since the Dell E228 seemed a great choice, I contacted Raghu about it. At the time, I thought I'd get it, but for some reason or the other, I waited longer than I should have, and Raghu closed his first monitor GO. Now, I'm very sorry I wasn't able to avail of the offer - also, because Raghu's a great chap to deal with. Someone I know is in Dell, and they were able to give me a nice price (higher than Raghu's offer, mind you) and I got the monitor a couple weeks ago. After calibrating it etc, the system was running perfectly!

All that remained were the fans. Now, Bikey helped in the search, had some of his friends go here and there to get some 92 mm LED fans, but no luck. I had to make do without them. A friend was returning from the US in the meantime, so I asked him to get the fans. As fate would have it, he had to depart earlier than scheduled, so the fans were cancelled. May-June-July.. and finally August and KMD. I asked KMD if he could get me the fans, and he very kindly did so. And there we go, with no further delay, the pics of the system!

With heartfelt thanks to...

Jigan - For the 7900+RAM
John - RAM and Motherboard
Imran - Neatly drawing the outline for the case cutting (and accompanying me on a bunch of visits to the dealers!)
PV - Helping me get great prices on the goods I bought here
Bikey - Running around and having people run around for the fans!
KMD - AS5 and LED fans.

Thanks again guys!

looks good :happy:

oh great you have wingman gamepad extreme damn I lost that piece thanks to my friend :mad: :p

dude monitor distance is too close I feel .. move it a lil farther away

gauravt said:
nice rig, where is the ccfl fan, take some time in cable management.

At the front.:p
(Nazar ke saamne, HDD ke paas.:bleh: )

AK3D- GauravT also tried looking for 92mm LED fans- so thanks to him too.:hap2:

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Congrats.:hap2:
thank XT and Chic_magnet who did all the running around.:p

Thanks for the congrats, and a thank you to XT and Chic_magnet as well :)

thebanik said:
Nice mod out there...looks nice....which ear cans r those????

Thanks! They're Labtec Elite 840 . I got them for about 1K a few years ago, very good sound for the price. I don't think they're available any longer though.

broar94 said:
looks good :happy:
oh great you have wingman gamepad extreme damn I lost that piece thanks to my friend :mad: :p
dude monitor distance is too close I feel .. move it a lil farther away

Thanks. I also have a Logitech Wingman Interceptor. Unfortunately though, both of them do not work with the new system (no game port).
The monitor is placed perfectly :) - just a bit more than a hand's distance from my seat.

gauravt said:
nice rig, where is the ccfl fan, take some time in cable management.

Thanks, the CCFL is in the front as Bikey said. A couple UV SATA and PATA cables are arriving soon, once they're here, along with the cable ties, I'll make sure that it looks neater :)

BIKeINSTEIN said:
AK3D- GauravT also tried looking for 92mm LED fans- so thanks to him too.:hap2:

Yes sir, TY to GauravT .. Its nice to know that people you haven't even met or talked to will go to so much trouble.

Back