The wet shaving thread

blr_p

Skilled
Will be interesting to see what kind of respoonse this gets :D

[youtube]xjhIy9rgWQU[/youtube]

Been using a double edge for a few weeks now and quite liking it. Always thought you should never go against the grain, well you can, but you do it in three passes ie lather-shave-wash x3. With the grain, across the grain and against the grain. Time taken (with practice) is about 10 mins.

The result after is baby butt smooth ;)

Moved to using a DE a few months back. Got pissed with the bad shaves that the 3 blade and 5 blade safety razors were giving me. (Also, the cost saving per shave was huge.)

Now I use a DE razor and feather/7 O'Clock blades. Takes me five extra minutes per shave, but it is worth it.

I have also started using shaving soap instead of the foam in a can. Works much better. (Colonel Conk bay rum soap)

thank god my beard growing rate is low.. I can shave once a week.. so i am happy wid my mach 5.. though might give this thing a try sometime.. :)

whatsinaname said:
Moved to using a DE a few months back. Got pissed with the bad shaves that the 3 blade and 5 blade safety razors were giving me. (Also, the cost saving per shave was huge.)
Well 5 blades for Rs.10 is fantastic over cartridges. But once you get into this there are so many options, soaps, brushes, creams, blades etc, hehe.

whatsinaname said:
I have also started using shaving soap instead of the foam in a can. Works much better. (Colonel Conk bay rum soap)
Cool, will check out what is available in this space, might ask some friends to bring some from abroad.

Still sticking to Sensor Excel.. But that hot water tip really works.. been doing it since last few months & the cartridges work quite good. Also Gels I think are better than foam since you get better glide. But here is a tip.. lather the gel & keep it on for atleast 3mins & you will have much closer & smoother shave. Also the blades will work many times over without loosing sharpness..

Occasionally I do use the cream if gel is not available & it also works great (Old Spice).. But a brush is always there to lather even with gel or cream...

blr_p said:
Well 5 blades for Rs.10 is fantastic over cartridges. But once you get into this there are so many options, soaps, brushes, creams, blades etc, hehe.

Haha, yeah. I got some 25$ Parker razor and 10$ brush. Not going to buy anything else. (Maybe the Merkur HD, but not very tempted. :p)

The feather blades are I think some of the best around. I tried others from a sampler pack and I think I'll stick with feather or 7 o'clock. These cost 35$ for 100 blades which is around 350 shaves for me. or 1$ for 10 shaves.

Gilette mach 5, is 20$ for 8 blades which is ~80 shaves. or 1$ for 4 shaves.

That is just from the cost perspective. I also get a much much better shave from the DE razor.

I don't go against the grain. I do 1 pass with the grain and 1 at a 45 degree angle (downwards and forwards). The second stroke is a bit difficult and I cut myself a few times initially. After I got used to it, the two passes in ten minutes make me look human for 2 days. (Unless there is a meeting on the second day. :p)

Good stuff!

I'm using the Gillette Fusion Power with Neutrogena cream and Gillette After Shave Cream Lotion sometimes substituted by Fa After Shave.

Where can I get a DE Razor from? I want to try this out.

Cheers

"godrej shaving round" is the "shaving soap" referring to?

DE Razors can be costly too.I've seen one asking for 1200 or so. :eek:

prakashan said:
"godrej shaving round" is the "shaving soap" referring to?

DE Razors can be costly too.I've seen one asking for 1200 or so. :eek:

Yeah, that is a shaving soap. I'll have to remember to get one the next time I am in India. It is supposed to be very good.

Mach 3s were getting very costly for me. So I switched to Gillette disposable razors (a pack of 5 for 60 odd rupees). I can easily use each of them for at least 3 to 4 shaves. Comes to less than 3 rs. per shave. :p

I never got the concept of the Mach range of razors and seriously its not worth the moolah IMO. My beard grows fast and I have a very sensitive skin due to which I don't shave quite often and end up looking like Devdas :bleh: Me really looking at alternatives.. and the 7'o clock cartridges suck; Gillettes are good.

ajab.ghajab said:
Is Mach3 [Turbo] worth the hype and the cost? They are priced much higher than their regular stuff, say the Vector Plus and all.

I can't tell the difference. I've purchased both Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo and the Turbo seems like a gimmick to me.

Shaving after a bath or a shower can give you a wonderfully smooth shave. Even old blades work much better(though I would recommend that you replace your blade if it's old as the consistency of sharpness varies along the length of a dull blade). You just need to take care to go slow if you're using a brand new blade.

Currently i shave like once once in 10 days or so, but that was kinda helpful, but most of the things they mentioned aren't available in my region afaik.

Yeah, its the Gillette Fusion, get the Fusion Power, its battery operated and vibrates for a better shave. I've been using it for the past 2 years now, pretty awesome.

My question still remains unanswered, where can I get a DE Razor in Delhi/India?

I have been using a plastic double edge, bath soap combo for my shaves close to 2 years now. usually I usually just use cold water becuase I bathe late in the afternoon by which time it gets a hit hot. I enjoy shaving and do it 2 times a week.

However, watching this video makes me want to switch to the smoother kind of brush. I am using one that has plastic bristles and it annoys me.

Can someone tell me if I will get a badger hair shaving brush in Mumbai and if so, where?

HailStonE said:
Also Gels I think are better than foam since you get better glide. But here is a tip.. lather the gel & keep it on for atleast 3mins & you will have much closer & smoother shave. Also the blades will work many times over without loosing sharpness..
One word, hydration. You don't get that out of a can. As i went through mantic59's clips, thats the one word that sticks in my mind.

HailStonE said:
Occasionally I do use the cream if gel is not available & it also works great (Old Spice).. But a brush is always there to lather even with gel or cream...
Actually i'd only used foam/gel out of a can before I came back, but here its so costly that i switched to creams. I'd never even seen a cream before let alone used one, abroad no one even thinks about using it. Heh, I used to rub cream in my hands and apply until that hydration word cropped up.

The brush makes a difference, i never used one before i started with DE's.

whatsinaname said:
The feather blades are I think some of the best around. I tried others from a sampler pack and I think I'll stick with feather or 7 o'clock. These cost 35$ for 100 blades which is around 350 shaves for me. or 1$ for 10 shaves.

Gilette mach 5, is 20$ for 8 blades which is ~80 shaves. or 1$ for 4 shaves.
Feather's are Japanese and supposed to be very sharp and thin. I'm not sure sure how it works yet with thick or thin blades. The Brit wilki's are thicker than the Indian ones but they feel smoother so far.

350 shaves out of 100 blades is 3.5 per blade. I think you can double that to 6 as thats the rough statistical average but I think you'd have to do it every day and defnitely after a hot bath.

[youtube]D4MAZIKeNHQ[/youtube]

whatsinaname said:
I don't go against the grain. I do 1 pass with the grain and 1 at a 45 degree angle (downwards and forwards). The second stroke is a bit difficult and I cut myself a few times initially. After I got used to it, the two passes in ten minutes make me look human for 2 days. (Unless there is a meeting on the second day. :p)
The barbers in the shop do what you said with a straight razor but I think its possible to get as good at home with a bit of practice, getting to know the lay of the land. Cannot go against the grain until the across bit is done. And across at 90 degrees rather than 45. The neck area is the tricky bit.

SharekhaN said:
usually I usually just use cold water becuase I bathe late in the afternoon by which time it gets a hit hot. I enjoy shaving and do it 2 times a week.
You want to start with hot water as this will soften the beard and make for an easier shave. And end with cold water to close the pores and a mosituriser to finish it off. If you can't use much hot water then a hot towel wrapped around your face for a cpl of minutes will do the same.

The other thing is you want to try with a heavier razor than plastic as then you let the blade do the work instead of pushing at it. The good razors tend to be heavier than the rest.

SharekhaN said:
Can someone tell me if I will get a badger hair shaving brush in Mumbai and if so, where?
Upmarket shops in the malls would be my guess.

Back