Storage Solutions the younger sibling tries to take the revenge too!

so , well, part 2 continued from here : http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/this-what-i-call-hdds-revenge-152953.html

So last evening my brother shuts the computer off.

After around 30 mins or so , I start the computer and boom, blue screen staring at me and says -

"howdy?!".

I'm like - "Yea, fine whatever"

So the usual cycle starts -

1) Swap RAM chips

2) Disconnect - Reconnect the HDD

3) Safe Mode

4) Last good known config.

None of the above helps, I'm like - "Ok, here we go again"

So, I pop in the windows disk for a repair, and it says the "Partition is Invalid and the usual jingle"

I try to load using the bootable partition manager cd (cant remember the name as of now). It gives some sector read / corrupt errors and stops.

Having learnt from my past experience, I had the data backed up from the hdd to my new external backup device.

So well, whats killing my HDD's ?

First the 320, which completely went dead and now the 250 which out of the blue ended up with lost and corrupt partition tables.

2 possibilities -

a) Its just a coincidence

b) The PSU (VIP 400W Gold) is up to some thing!

I don't see any other reason which might have caused this.

PS: I used Ubuntu too , in order to see if the partitions mount. 2 partitions mount and 1 doesn't, which is the boot partition.

What next ?

the partion which is not unmounted propertly in windows will not mount under ubuntu.... that is... if it's NTFS.

do the chkdsk /p (or chkdsk /f) from xp/dos botable for that partition.

then try to mount it in ubuntu incase windows doesn't boot.

I feel it's the HDD's fault.......my 320 kept on giving me blue screens repeatedly after trying to install xp many times....finally it went kaput and the disk wouldn't spin...
But i experienced nothin like dat with the 500's.....so try gettin an RMA.......

anfjavid said:
try using a diff. PSU for sometime and see. IMO the PSU must be the culprit

me thinking the same.

stalker said:
I would bet on the power supply as well. How old is it?

its ~3yrs old.

Rockfella said:
Does ur mobo dual boot?

yes it does

jeffrain123 said:
I feel it's the HDD's fault.......my 320 kept on giving me blue screens repeatedly after trying to install xp many times....finally it went kaput and the disk wouldn't spin...
But i experienced nothin like dat with the 500's.....so try gettin an RMA.......

my concern is with the 2 hdd's going kaput back to back......lets see...

was too tired of trying anything last night...will check it out in slave today.

No offense, but a glance at the thread title + a glance at the content inside told me something on the lines of your-brother-taking-revenge-by-killing-harddisk. :D

Mobos that dual boot damage hdds. A friend of mine had Ip35E all his hdds died gradually and much sooner. Change ur mobo and PSU if u can. If u are on Intel LGA 775 Giga G31 is ur best best and in PSU Seasonic 380W :baby:. rma these drives asap.

Rockfella said:
Mobos that dual boot damage hdds. A friend of mine had Ip35E all his hdds died gradually and much sooner. Change ur mobo and PSU if u can. If u are on Intel LGA 775 Giga G31 is ur best best and in PSU Seasonic 380W :baby:. rma these drives asap.
sounds like
FUD

Back