Thermal body warmer issues

ashish

Adept
Hi
Given the ongoing chilly cold throughout country this is the first time we thought about opting for body thermal wear.
We bought jockey as well as amul however reael usage is simply zero!

The thermals cant even withstand 6-8c temperature and the body still feels cold as if one is wearing only tees pajamas.
I'm seriously pissed off on this. Bought them from a nearby local garment shop not online.

Would like to know reviews from other users here.

Why do they even advertise in snow "सर्दी में भी गर्मी का एहसास"?
I found this simply fake.

Hi
Given the ongoing chilly cold throughout country this is the first time we thought about opting for body thermal wear.
We bought jockey as well as amul however reael usage is simply zero!

The thermals cant even withstand 6-8c temperature and the body still feels cold as if one is wearing only tees pajamas.
I'm seriously pissed off on this. Bought them from a nearby local garment shop not online.

Would like to know reviews from other users here.

Why do they even advertise in snow "सर्दी में भी गर्मी का एहसास"?
I found this simply fake.
Aren't you wearing anything on top of them? IIRC, you live in Mumbai so you are probably just not used to such temperatures. Wearing multiple layers is the solution and not just the thermal capabilities of the cloth. I make do with just 2 layers of the cheapest fleece tshirts from Decathlon, here in Himachal, but this tolerance developed over a period of 3-4 years.

Aren't you wearing anything on top of them? IIRC, you live in Mumbai so you are probably just not used to such temperatures. Wearing multiple layers is the solution and not just the thermal capabilities of the cloth. I make do with just 2 layers of the cheapest fleece tshirts from Decathlon, here in Himachal, but this tolerance developed over a period of 3-4 years.
In Pune since few weeks and here to stay for a month. Of course I wear thick tees and also a jacket.
How's the fit ? loose won't work so well.
Tight not extreme but comfortable fit.
My question is why do they advertise so fake that only wear the warmer single piece and roam freely.

I bought Uniqlo when i was abroad and they could handle subzero temps quite well. They are in India. Check out their range. They come in different levels of heat protection

In Pune since few weeks and here to stay for a month. Of course I wear thick tees and also a jacket.

Tight not extreme but comfortable fit.
My question is why do they advertise so fake that only wear the warmer single piece and roam freely.
Then it's all about tolerance in your case. You are not accustomed to these temperatures. Also, if you tend to sit at one place, you will feel more cold as blood circulation also becomes slow, i.e. why our extremities are the first to feel cold.
The ads will always have an 'asterisk' and everyone knows that and they even say how 'thermals' are an under-layer. Just like undergarment ads show people without upper clothes, same is true for thermals ads. It won't be much of an ad if the guy would be wearing something on top.
Of course there are better quality thermals available like Heat-tec from Uniqlo as someone pointed above and Columbia and other companies, even cheap Decathlon offerings of mountaineering base layers will be better. But you will still feel cold because this is more about tolerance and what you are used to, in this case.

This reminds me of a funny incident. My roommate from college got his first job in Mumbai. One weekend he and his colleagues planned for a trip to Mahabaleshwar. All the Mumbai folk made him buy a couple of sweatshirts because, according to them, it would be very cold. When he reached there, he was so disappointed and all his colleagues were surprised that he could roam around in his t-shirt and asked for a fan when they were all using sweatshirts and blankets. He couldn't put those sweatshirts to use until he returned to Delhi 5 years later. Most of us northern kids of the 90s, would be in school in 5 degress sitting in nothing but a shirt and a sweater and nowadays winters have become a joke. I never needed a 'razai' after 2006, until I shifted to Himachal in 2014. And again didn't need it here this year because now body has become accustomed to this cold and we have become accustomed to wearing 2-3 layers of light fleece clothing.

The feeling of cold and winter itself is relative. As someone living in WB I do get that we never really experienced true cold, but then again we have experienced rather hot and humid climate and to us, even 15 degrees is cold. 12 degrees or below is super cold. Here I am typing this while my room temp is around 20 and my fingers and knees are frozen like. Thank god only couple more weeks of this despicable season.
I do have a query though. Do them electric blankets work efficiently? Do they have any negative effect on our health? I am asking for mum who being a senior citizen sometimes shivers at night time. If you use one and can recommend please link to a product.

One of my old friend always tells me that a person is never cold just doesn’t have the technology. Btw, for you feel cold in the extremeties like hands and feet you can get battery heated inserts for gloves and feet which run off of battery bank. But i would say get used to the cold. Otherwise your home will become a prison.

Btw, my flying jacket is arc’teryx. Very highly recommended if you want absolute protection. I trust it with my life and have used outdoors below -20C. I would say arc’teryx base and mid layers would be my recommendation.
I do have a query though. Do them electric blankets work efficiently? Do they have any negative effect on our health? I am asking for mum who being a senior citizen sometimes shivers at night time. If you use one and can recommend please link to a product.
I use electric blanket too. They are good but you should get one that shuts off after 3 hours. But for Indian climates where the temperature doesn’t go below zero a comforter filled with synthetic down could be a good solution. They are lighter and trap all the body heat so one will feel warm after 15 minutes and temperature is exactly what your body needs.

Last edited:
As everyone mentioned, it's all about tolerance. When I first moved to Delhi, being a Mumbaikar, I could see death due to cold in front of me as I was not accustomed to such severity of 5C. Later with time, I became accustomed to the extremes and would go on workouts at 5am with just a woolen cap on head.
Point is, our body takes time to adjust to such extremes. Even right now in Mumbai, I am wearing a jacket because now I am accustomed to the weather of Mumbai.

Also, these advts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. If we take example of underwear and start comparing how those models look in undies viz a vis comman person, more than half of male population would die of inferiority complex.

Uska toh bada accha dikhta hai... Mera toh kuch dikhta hi nahi!!
I am asking for mum who being a senior citizen sometimes shivers at night time.
Get a good quality Razai... It might be a bit heavy but it won't allow any body heat to escape.
Or if her body has difficulties managing the thermals, get an oil-based electric heater.

Last edited:
Is this statement based on science or personal experience?
Personal experience of course!

To give some context; i fly paragliders. So I constantly get exposed to natural elements like cold and hypoxia. For the math; i think it gets roughly 4 degrees colder for every 1000ft elevation gain. Imagine flying at 18k ft msl with nothing but jackets and gloves between you and nature. Also, i live in a cold place.

Last edited:
Personal experience of course!
Ok, Not everyone will have same level of tolerance.

Anyways I'm not here to pass judgment, but reason why I quoted your reply is, my personal experience doesn't seem to align with that thought. I had a option of settling in a Scandinavian country, but abruptly ended and returned back to hometown after spending around 2+ years. Reason is, serious health issue and unfortunately still I'm suffering. And I blame extreme temperatures only, but then science may not coincide with that :D

Ok, Not everyone will have same level of tolerance.

Anyways I'm not here to pass judgment, but reason why I quoted your reply is, my personal experience doesn't seem to align with that thought. I had a option of settling in a Scandinavian country, but abruptly ended and returned back to hometown after spending around 2+ years. Reason is, serious health issue and unfortunately still I'm suffering. And I blame extreme temperatures only, but then science may not coincide with that :D
Agree! Since childhood I'm sensitive to cold! Anything under 14-15c and I'm liable to catch fever. During childhood my exposure was equal to both extreme colds and summers but every body is different and my body chose to accept heat..
So much that I can easily survive 50c happily rather comfortably without any inch of health issues. So I prefer to chill in summers and something above 20c.

Coming back to the point, I live in Pune and this time my house is situated between valleys and open forest like zone so whatever temps news channels or newspapers predict, the temps in my area are easily 4-5c below by default (this season every week it touches 3-4c easily)
Never in the life we felt the need but this time we had to opt for thermals which imo is a sheer waste as the winters are so prickly and harsh that only thick woolen clothing will save you.
I was even going to buy a room heater but my parents decided to shift back to Mumbai home so I dropped the plan but again it was a tough battle between Air vs Oil heaters + budget investment. But come next year I will surely be buying one as my current location is my permanent base for lifetime.. Survival is important not adjustment..

Last edited:
@booo Which electric blanket do you use? Or which ones are considered to be good ones? And for synthetic comforter too would like a suggestion.
His suggestions won't be of much help to you unless you think you can source from US. I've always bought polyfill razai, which is called comforter these days from local market. You can go and check out the options there and choose accordingly. I had even bought some stuff which was actually blanket material filled with polyfill and that was extremely warm and comfortable. I had sourced them from the city of blankets - Panipat at that time.

Coming back to the point, I live in Pune and this time my house is situated between valleys and open forest like zone so whatever temps news channels or newspapers predict, the temps in my area are easily 4-5c below by default (this season every week it touches 3-4c easily)

Have you checked these temps with a local thermometer. Asking because these are the temps we get here in Himachal, where there is snow on the mountains behind me. I use a 7k bucks worth digital thermometer and hygrometer in my cow shed and lowest temps we have seen till date are 2°C. On most days it doesn't drop below 4. So it seems a little odd that Pune would have the same temps as us.

I was having this discussion with my brother as well. A lot of news sources had said that Hyderabad was witnessing a cold spell and temps were 7-8°C and when I asked my brother who was living there, he told me he was using fans while wearing t-shirts. So it seems they were telling temps of some remote location in the Hyderabad district rather than the city.

I was having this discussion with my brother as well. A lot of news sources had said that Hyderabad was witnessing a cold spell and temps were 7-8°C and when I asked my brother who was living there, he told me he was using fans while wearing t-shirts. So it seems they were telling temps of some remote location in the Hyderabad district rather than the city.
I was born and raised in Hyderabad. The temps everyone talking about are probably around at midnights. Winter day temps are usually in the 20+c which is basically summer where i live now. Actually i am a bit scared because i am going to spend march in Hyderabad summers before heading to bir this April. @rdst_1 Let me know if you want something.

I feel these tight fits don't give good feeling to skin so prefer a loose one but not so much as I would wear something about it.
I believe thermals are supposed to be close to your body as possible to prevent loss of body heat. I think they are elastic so shouldn't be that uncomfortable. I brought one from offline market and used it for just one season as it didn't meet my expectations.
I got a good sweater from Marco Polo and it was far more effective in dealing with the winter. If you know how to search for good ones, you can get one from local market at a far better rate.

Back