This is War - A SCREW YOU @ UBISOFT

This is War.

Consider this a wake up call for every one of you who bought CoD: MW2, every one of you who sigh and bend over every time some ratty publisher pushes the PC version into next year, every one of you who *****es and moans about shoddy PC ports, and then go buy the sequel.

Next time you go into Game/Gamestation/wherever, and see the sad little shelf thats all thats left of the "PC Gaming" section, dont sigh and walk out. Punch the manager in the face and yell "WE DONT ALL DOWNLOAD!".

The next time you see some CliffyB type dev wank chunter on about how piracy is making PC Gaming a lost cause, dont sigh and shake your head. Blow up his inbox with abuse and scorn, boycott his software on every format and question his penis size.

This has to end, or PC Gaming as we know (and love) it WILL cease to exist. Maybe this is what the fatcats want, I dont know. But I will not go quietly into the night! I will fight for what has become my preffered way of wasting an evening.

If you buy AC2, for any reason, on any format, you are guilty of treason. Unless you already have, in which case I guess a slap on the wrist will suffice for not being clairvoyant...

Bring it Ubisoft. Heres 5 quid you WONT be getting *burns a 5 pound note* You are going down.

Disclaimer: All the above is my opinion, and as I have not had my daily requirement of caffine Im slightly wobbly. However, if any of it elicted a smile or a feeling of patriotisim, Ill consider it a success. FOR THE REVOLUTION!!!!!
Post it far, post it wide, make the gamers heard. We will no longer accept the *****ing about piracy, and the bull**** about cross platform difficulty being a reason for malignant DRM's and Poor performing console ports. THIS **** STOPS HERE.
NOte :- This is not written by me but it is to be spread as far as u can.

Link:- This is War - A SCREW YOU @ UBISOFT - Emuforums.com
Ubisoft we hate u for DRM and u should go out of business.

Nobody in India would dare to buy AC2. At least not now.

All said and done what are the chances of the AC2 servers being present after ten years if i want to play that game again. Don't tell me you wont play as i still at times play half-life.

However bad the DRM is, its proven to be effective atleast till now.

This is the first game in years IIRC that hasnt been cracked yet even after 2 weeks after release.

I hope other publishers dont come up with similar shit like this since even reputed grpups like Skidrow, Reloaded, etc have not found a vulnerability yet.

^... ^.. it will eventually crack.... You know Command & Conquer 4 has been cracked which uses similar kind of DRM by EA... It may take some time but eventually it will be..

cracking ac2 will not be that much easier.as you have to be always online while playing.and it will keep on accessing the ubisoft servers.
In this case cracking means they have to make their own installer and have to rewrite the entire saving process.

then again its just my thought.

@ the OP - it is a good rant.. but as i understand if the AC2 DRM is uncrackable, it will definetly spell big trouble for all the pc games.. well most of the high profiles neway... coz they would then get a golden formula.. and also as stated above.. it will effectively diminish the pc gaming market... but i guess ne company investing millions of dollers into an IP will want to keep it safe.. and believe it or not.. will want to earn profits... so if thats they only way left for them.. i think we will see many more such DRMs in the future... i think and i m really sure of this.. that more and more ppl will stop buying PC games coz of all the hassles and give in to the console craze.. i for once have stopped playing any kinda games all together.. heh for me its either PC .. or nothing.. its jsut market dynamics.. everyone will eventually move to where the most money is.. and today maximum money is in consoles.. what would happen when all the good games u want stop comming to PC platform all together?? man those would be dark times :p for us PC gamers neway..

Switch said:

All said and done what are the chances of the AC2 servers being present after ten years if i want to play that game again. Don't tell me you wont play as i still at times play half-life.

i bought it. the drm is absolutely transparent... zero problems with it so far. and the game is absolutely fabulous too (this coming from someone who didn't really think much of the first one). they've refined the gameplay so much, and tell me which other game lets you roam around in renaissance italy as a deadly assassin ;)

as for their authentication servers not being up 10 years from now, that's a very likely possibility. i'm assuming they will release a no drm patch for it. if not, it will get cracked. and if nothing from this happens, i really doubt i'll even be playing games at the age of 37 (in 10 years), let alone games that are from 2010. the one thing i've learned over the past couple of years is that old games are best left to nostalgia, at least for me. almost every attempt to replay a game has ended in me leaving it after a few minutes. and besides, nowadays they don't make the kinds of games you want to play 10 years hence anyway :bleh:

psyph3r said:
However bad the DRM is, its proven to be effective atleast till now.

This is the first game in years IIRC that hasnt been cracked yet even after 2 weeks after release.

I hope other publishers dont come up with similar shit like this since even reputed grpups like Skidrow, Reloaded, etc have not found a vulnerability yet.

there have been quite a few games that remained uncracked for a while. starforce games like splinter cell chaos theory remained uncracked for months. chronicles of riddick dark athena also went uncracked for a few weeks. eventually though, they all fell. as will this drm in time.

as for the op, all i have to say is..

2q8qzv5.jpg

it's easy to think you have a majority opinion based on feedback from the internet, but the fact is, it's not because no one really cares ;)

For those who are asking what will happen after 10 years to the game servers, Ubisoft have officially announced that they would release a game so that the game could be played offline. That's not likely to happen for another 4-5 years though. :p

Anybody read about the EA official blogger who kept getting disconnected while playing C&C4 and kept losing progress? He even wrote about it in the blog concluding that this kind of DRM does not work.

When I say 'Does not work' I dont mean it's cracked. The thing is, it is annoying for the paying customers to get disconnected again & again during a play session and having to reconnect again. I mean, I was playing Bioshock 2 today and my connection(BSNL) decided to act up. I kept getting disconnected and every time it got disconnected, the stupid GFW overlay would come up saying lost connection. Stupid thing doesnt even pause the game before doing that. One time I got disconnected just before a Big Sister showed and the stupid overlay came up. With the game still running in background, needless to say, I got creamed and had to lose progress :(.

Switch said:

LOL there are plenty of them who have been playing AC2 on the PC since the launch in India. Prashant himself has sold quite a number of copies on the forums itself.

As for the DRM, I share spindoc's comments - it may eventually be cracked. For those who are ranting about it, very well, keep doing so!

pretttt said:
Anybody read about the EA official blogger who kept getting disconnected while playing C&C4 and kept losing progress? He even wrote about it in the blog concluding that this kind of DRM does not work.

my understanding is that the implementation that ea have used for c&c4 is very half assed. the game got cracked before release itself by redirecting to a proxy server at the localhost. apparently, they are suffering lots of problems and outages of the service.

ubisoft on the other hand seem to have some very talented people working on their system. the reason it hasn't been cracked yet is because some of the game logic resides server side and is obtained every time you play. also, they have implemented save states where ever the connection is lost, whereas c&c4 won't save any progress and won't even tell you about it in your game session. and finally, they have had minimal server outage since the game went live (the server has been down a total of 2 times).

if the drm servers keep going down and the companies are unable to provide proper service, then yes, the drm will be a disaster. so far though, ubi seems to be doing a decent job of maintaining their end. ea, however, is messing things up.

Desecrator said:
LOL there are plenty of them who have been playing AC2 on the PC since the launch in India. Prashant himself has sold quite a number of copies on the forums itself.

As for the DRM, I share spindoc's comments - it may eventually be cracked. For those who are ranting about it, very well, keep doing so!

But for us with unreliable net connections i don't think we can even dare to play this type of a drm buggy game.

Switch said:

Ubisoft have already mentioned that they will release a patch to remove the drm if servers are taken down.

spindoctor said:
i bought it. the drm is absolutely transparent... zero problems with it so far.
Me too..
I have a 256kbps bsnl connection..the download speed is around 30kbps max..I took the gamble and bought the game and started playing today..I have been playing for 4 hours now without any issues..to play this game one doesnt need a faster connection..just a reliable connection will do..and the ubi servers too seem to be running fine now..also there is an option to not store the save-files online..
But i am confused why people are still unable to play this game abroad..a lot of people are still complaining in forums about not being able to play..when i can play easily in my 256kbps connection, people abroard should also be able to play..their net connection should be in Mbps range i guess..
Anyways so far so good for me..just hoping ubi servers dont go down again due to ddos attacks..

And the game is totally awesome :clap: ..i loved the first one..and this one is more better..

P.S. Still i hope, this drm is cracked soon so that they will remove it in future games..

Switch said:
But for us with unreliable net connections i don't think we can even dare to play this type of a drm buggy game.

how unreliable are we talking? anyone can have bad luck and have their net go down a couple of times when they wanted to play the game... but if you are staying away from the game because you are sure that you will suffer downtime while playing (to the point where it becomes a real problem), then i'd like to know how bad your internet stability is.

My personal opinion is that "Something is better than nothing".

What if Ubisoft never releases a PC game due to piracy ? Would that be any better than putting up with these DRM issues ?

In today's world mostly everybody who can afford a video card would be having some type of internet.

In India with our wonderful un-reliable connections and lack of internet penetration could pose some challenges but Piracy is also rampant here and I am not sure if Ubisoft would even care.

Do note that we are getting PC games much cheaper than international equivalent and thus revenue per piece would also be less.

I dont see why it matters whether AC2 gets cracked or not. If you've bought the game, it shouldnt really matter to you. Anyways, have Ubisoft ever publicly promised that they will remove the DRM once it gets cracked? I highly doubt that.

Ubisoft is actually spending a substantial amount of money on this DRM. They seem to have created a whole infrastructure around it, since they are going to use this in all of their forthcoming PC titles. I dont think they will so easily remove the DRM from the game and let all that investment go to waste.

Also, afaik, most people (I know I am) are concerned not of the state of Ubisoft's servers. I'm actually concerned totally about my connection. It is a BSNL connection and obviously it disconnects a LOT. Sometimes it disconnects every 2-3 mins, sometimes it wont disconnect the entire day. The point is, it is unreliable. You could say that BSNL connection is bad get a stable Airtel one. But, is it really required to change your ISP just to play a game??

Anyways, I'm not going to buy this game (not due to DRM. I hated the first one). So, I'm actually have no reason to be posting here. But what worries me is if other companies start emulating this. That would be scary :(.

Back