Benq G2320HD monitor x 2

Corsair CMPSU-600G GS600 Power Supply

budget 1.25 lakhs approx

plz help guys i,m plannin to make this buy asap

cheers

jerk001

jst wanted to add a couple of quick questions,,

under what circumstances if any at all, should i get a more powerful PSU,,

i,ll be using this pc to run vfx sims,, will tht be a reason to go for a psu >600W

also i,ll be gettin a surge protector,, will i need to get a UPS too? any recommendations?

thanks again guys

jerk001

Welcome to TE jerk001 .... err It's always best to make use of the "Template" for your needs

Just a few suggestions
1] Motherboard - Go for Asus Sabertooth X79 - the best of the X79 boards [rock solid performer; check the user forums for this legendary board]
2] Not sure if the Corsair GS series is the best ..... let other's chip in (I may be wrong) ... tagging ALPHA17 . Also what shoud be your min PSU ..... methinks 650W
3] GPU - Go for the 660 Ti version - a lot more additional CUDA cores (1344 vs 960 of the GTX 660) + a better GK104 board (same as used in the 670 & 680 series) so overall better rendering performance
4] Surge protector is never an assured device/protocol to protect an expensive RIG. You have to go in for a smart UPS
5] I am not familiar with "vfx sims" system requirements, does it relate to Houdini ?

Cheers
Terry

Welcome to TE jerk001 .... err It's always best to make use of the "Template" for your needs

Just a few suggestions
1] Motherboard - Go for Asus Sabertooth X79 - the best of the X79 boards [rock solid performer; check the user forums for this legendary board]
2] Not sure if the Corsair GS series is the best ..... let other's chip in (I may be wrong) ... tagging ALPHA17 . Also what shoud be your min PSU ..... methinks 650W
3] GPU - Go for the 660 Ti version - a lot more additional CUDA cores (1344 vs 960 of the GTX 660) + a better GK104 board (same as used in the 670 & 680 series) so overall better rendering performance
4] Surge protector is never an assured device/protocol to protect an expensive RIG. You have to go in for a smart UPS
5] I am not familiar with "vfx sims" system requirements, does it relate to Houdini ?

Cheers
Terry

thanks for the replies,,

My main work is in Rigid body dynamics (RBD) and fluid/particle simulations across softwares(houdini/maya/max/TP,FumeFX,realflow), along with a vray,nuke,PS,mari

here is my updated rig

i7 3930k

Asrock X79 Extreme6 Motherboard or Asus P9X79 PRO Motherboard PCIe 3.0 or asus x79 sabertooth (cant make up my mind)

:hail: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011

Gskill RipjawsZ 16GB RAM

GigaByte GeForce GTX 660 Graphic Card CU II /660ti CU II (waitin for the price quotes to make a decison)

:hail: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD

NZXT Phantom 410 Crafted Series Cabinet (anythin else u can recommend)

PSU Seasonic 660W Modular Power Supply (SS-660KM) i think its quite up to da mark

will be starting this build in da next few days so please help guys

cheers

jerk001

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Intel q6600
Motherboard - na
GPU - na
RAM - na
Monitor - benq g2420hd
SMPS - na
(please mention the rest in above format)

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping

HDD- seaget 1tb internal
cd rom drive - samsung

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy

CPU - Intel i7 3930k

Motherboard - Asrock X79 Extreme6 Motherboard or Asus P9X79 PRO Motherboard PCIe 3.0 or asus x79 sabertooth (cant make up my mind)

GPU - GigaByte GeForce GTX 660 Graphic Card CU II /660ti CU II (waitin for the price quotes to make a decison)

CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D14 SE2011

PSU Seasonic 660W Modular Power Supply (SS-660KM)

SSD - OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD

RAM - Gskill RipjawsZ 16GB RAM

Cabinet - NZXT Phantom 410 Crafted Series Cabinet (anythin else u can recommend)

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

Monitor - dell 24 inch

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Mumbai
worst case scenario if i dont find it in stores i,ll go for an online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
VFX - My main work is in RBD and fluid/particle sims across softwares(houdini/maya/max/TP,FumeFX,realflow), along with a vray,nuke,zbrush,PS,mari

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

reputed brands only,, since its a fairly expensive build

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
NA

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
NA

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

i hope the template helps.. i really need to build this rig asap,, so plz help,, the only two things i,m uncertain abt is the mobo and the cabinet, rest i,m quite confident.

thanks again guys for all the help

cheers

jerk001

Go with this-
Intel i7 3770K+Thermalright Silver Arrow OR Noctua NH-D14-22.5k
Asus Sabertooth Z77-20k OR Asus P8Z77-V-16k
Gskill RipjawsZ 8GBX2 1600mhz-6.5k
Segate 1TB 7200.14-4.3k
Msi/Evga GTX660 Ti-23k OR GTX670-28k
Corsair HX750-9k
Corsair 400R-5.4k OR Nzxt Phantom 410-5k
OCZ Vertex4 128GB-8k
Hope this helps.:)

Your first Choice should be i7-3930K on an Asus Sabertooth X79 board

Second Choice should be i7-3770K again on an Asus Sabertooth Z77 board
- Rest your fears, there is no better board than the above especially as you would be keeping your system on for long hours (rendering etc).

- To save money go for 3770 or 3770K ( which is 2 cores & 4 threads lesser than the 3930K). See a comparision of the three processors in question .... rest assured that performance would not take any major HIT.

- SSD: Ideally go for a 256GB SSD - and you would be able to install all your softwares (including Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on this one drive) - besides keeping always at least 25 percent of the SSD free for "best performance". With the 256GB you can allocate enough space on this drive itself for "caching" + SCRATCH disk ..... thus giving you tremendous speed.

- CABINET : Go for one which is stable & sturdy and using plenty of steel or aluminium (no vibrations or torque issues) - It has to take the weight of the Noctua comfortably. The Phantom that you picked is not the best. Consider the Antec DF-85 Full Tower Dark Fleet Case or Cooler Master Storm Stryker - [I am using the latter & I purchased it from theitwares mumbai] - they also have a variant "Trooper" in Black. Both these offer excellent cooling (The Antec comes with 7 fans & the CM with 4 - all top-class and totally silent). Plus ample room for adding plenty of HDD's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some thoughts & feedback based on my own RIG (it's 6 weeks young now).
All my purchases were ONLINE BASED - From Mumbai (I did not go to Lammy or visit any other shop).
Payments were made online through their own payments gateway or using NEFT ( theitwares - speak to Rahul | primeabgb - swapnil | hardwire.in - speak to Rajiv | SSD from onlyssd.com
Deliveries were made in 24-36 hrs (Only my Seasonic PSU was delayed by 4 days as hardwire.in did not have it in stock & procured it from Kolkata - It was listed on their site at the time of booking).

THEREFORE - It is best to confirm if stocks are available (before you make any payment).
It may not be possible to procure all your components from one source - availability + best pricing.
Ask for a "combo-deal" pricing on your mobo + processor

I am using the following softwares (Adobe Premiere Pro; Photoshop CS6; After Effects) + Maya and Nuke for learning purposes - also plan to Hackintosh later - and the reason I chose the Gigabyte GAZ77-UD5H-WB Wi-Fi Board over the Asus Sabertooth (which was my first preference). Of course my Home PC is purely for personal use, so I did not go for the 3930K.... (At my workplace I am using a Dual Xeon E5649 processor with 48GB RAM and 8TB RAID Storage @15000 rpm - I am using the Avid DS v11 for CGI work - mainly final assembling & color-mastering).

I also chose the Noctua NH-C12 over the grandmaster D14 as I was convinced that - the C-Type cooling was better than the traditional U-Type [My system temperatures never exceed 43 degrees ..... Of course, I have not tested it over any hard-core gaming].

I am sure the Seasonic X660 would have sufficed for my needs [I chose the X760 - and the internal fan has never had the ocassion to start rolling as yet - The Seasonic Modular series inbuilt fan kicks in only once threshold limits are crossed]. I already have 2 HDD's (2 + 1TB) and will keep adding as the need arises

Cheers

EDIT: Just updated & emphasised a few things jerk001

why dont you then slowly get the stuff instead of getting them altogether if money is a problem , because once you set up a system , it be a while when you upgrade

:O

ok,,, this is wot happned,

i got to abgb ,, gave swapnil the details,, . he tells me they sold a 3930k sabertooth combo, jst before daserra,, and there is no display,, i mean nothin... they updated the bios,, and ran the usual checks but still nothin,, :O

now since as the ground beneath my feet has shifted, i,m thinkin of goin bck to my i7 3930k combo Asrock X79 Extreme6 Motherboard 52700 or Asus P9X79 PRO 55800
as compared to the sabertooth 57000

rest is
asus 6600 ti
corsair 400 r
noctua NH L12
vertex 4 256 gb
sasonic 660 w
gskill ripjawz 16gb
apc 1kva ups

so ya jst tell me wot to do abt the mobo ,, my budget will be completly maxed out with any of the mobo combinations ,,, but i,ll b happy,, for now

i,m goin to call him in da mornin to tell him my choice and will pick it up later in da day,,

so ya,, could really use sum help,,right abt now

thanx

jerk001

If there is trouble with X79 Sabertooth then go for Asus Z77 Sabertooth,Also instead of Seasonic 660W get Corsair HX750,It's a solid PSU than X660.Everything else is fine.
ok,,, this is wot happned,

i got to abgb ,, gave swapnil the details,, . he tells me they sold a 3930k sabertooth combo, jst before daserra,, and there is no display,, i mean nothin... they updated the bios,, and ran the usual checks but still nothin,, :O

now since as the ground beneath my feet has shifted, i,m thinkin of goin bck to my i7 3930k combo Asrock X79 Extreme6 Motherboard 52700 or Asus P9X79 PRO 55800
as compared to the sabertooth 57000

rest is
asus 6600 ti
corsair 400 r
noctua NH L12
vertex 4 256 gb
sasonic 660 w
gskill ripjawz 16gb
apc 1kva ups

so ya jst tell me wot to do abt the mobo ,, my budget will be completly maxed out with any of the mobo combinations ,,, but i,ll b happy,, for now

i,m goin to call him in da mornin to tell him my choice and will pick it up later in da day,,

so ya,, could really use sum help,,right abt now

thanx

jerk001

i,m not a big fan of the gigabyte LGA 2011 boards. and Asus Z77 Sabertooth ??

so kinda still lost abt tht,,

also i,m reconsidering the 660 ti option,,and goin for the base model ,, i dnt really knw for my kinda wrk, an overclocked card will make any difference,,

so if u have any thoughts on tht..plz do let me knw

again i appreciate all the help,, thnx guys

jerk001

I am not sure which CPU you're going for,If it's 3930K then X79 is the best option,If 3770K then Z77 Sabertooth.For GPU either GTX660Ti OR GTX670 would be a good fit for you since you're going to use partical software's like Nuke and Real flow.Hope this clears things.
i,m not a big fan of the gigabyte LGA 2011 boards. and Asus Z77 Sabertooth ??

so kinda still lost abt tht,,

also i,m reconsidering the 660 ti option,,and goin for the base model ,, i dnt really knw for my kinda wrk, an overclocked card will make any difference,,

so if u have any thoughts on tht..plz do let me knw

again i appreciate all the help,, thnx guys

jerk001

I am not sure which CPU you're going for,If it's 3930K then X79 is the best option,If 3770K then Z77 Sabertooth.For GPU either GTX660Ti OR GTX670 would be a good fit for you since you're going to use partical software's like Nuke and Real flow.Hope this clears things.

cool 660 ti, it is then,,, last thing i want is my simulation to lag..

as for the mobo i,m goin for the 3930k for sure,, so are u suggestin the asrock?

Back