All OS Thoughts on switching to iPhone 13 mini

kvn95ss

Adept
I'm currently using LG G8x. The new update has only slight improvements in performance, but the phone still lags a lot if I don't restart the phone once a week or something. The dual screen is also nice but too bulky for the time being. (Side track, wish it had some silicon overlay so I could play DS games with the gorgeous AMOLED screen).

I do tend to drop my phones, but I made an observation - when I had Redmi 2S, I dropped it only 4 times in 3 years, whereas all my other phones I have dropped it at least 4-7 times a year (Mi A1, Redmi Note 5, Redmi Note 6 Pro and even LG G8x). All phones (apart from LG G8x) eventually ended up with broken displays. I feel all phones were troublesome to use with one hand. I wanted to buy an iPhone SE (1st gen) but ended up with LG G8x.

So I thought of opting for iPhone 13 mini. Checked the phone in store, and it does feel great for one handed usage. However, I'm slightly concerned if iPhone 13/14 would be better options.

Not looking at Z flip due to the display not being glass, plus can't afford to replace the back glass often lol. Asus Zenfone 9 isn't yet released here, so out of question.

13 mini has similar battery life to iPhone 12 as per the videos I've watched, granted iPhone 13 has higher capacity and should last longer. I do plan to replace battery in 2 years.

IMO not much point of asking, not like Apple has any alternative to 13 mini, if you want something that small. I personally feel that the size of iPhone 13 is also fine, so just check it in store & take your call.

I'm also dropping my phone a lot now because my S20FE is a much larger phone, I didn't want to spend money on S21 back then because of poor SoC. I had S8 earlier & that size was great. Hopefully, I can switch to a good smaller phone next.

Galaxy s22 is also a great one hand phone. If you can visit a nearby store or have friend or family member with the phone, give it a try.

Where can I buy iPhone 13 for the cheapest? I can see the prices have seemed to increased. Any upcoming sales?
I think ~60k is the current rate online & offline with card offers & all. Check all retailers & compare the price. Like with Axis FK CC, it will be 59k effectively from FK.

Personally, the form factor of the Mini Series is amazing for one handed usage. The only concern with the phone would be the battery. Even then it depends on your usage and 13 Mini has better battery life than 12 Mini. If you use your phone lightly/moderately, the 13 Mini would be a really good phone IMO

Get the iPhone 13 instead as it has really good battery life. But, if you have never used iPhone/iOS in last few years and are used to Android, please go through some walk through videos and videos that show current issues/limitations of OS.

With Galaxy, I would not go with S22/S21/S23 due to average battery life. Get the plus variant of S22 at least. Also check Pixel 7/Pro. Stay away from every other droid.

Get the iPhone 13 instead as it has really good battery life. But, if you have never used iPhone/iOS in last few years and are used to Android, please go through some walk through videos and videos that show current issues/limitations of OS.

With Galaxy, I would not go with S22/S21/S23 due to average battery life. Get the plus variant of S22 at least. Also check Pixel 7/Pro. Stay away from every other droid.
S23 has a good battery life, esp. for a compact phone. S22/S21 suffer due to low-efficiency SoC as well (be it Exynos or QC).

OS is surely a big thing - I hope OP has done their research. I personally don't like iOS, but not a big fan of barebone stock android as well.

1676191600301.png

If you are heavy user don't think of 13 mini even though it has better battery backup then 12 mini.
I have 12 mini but i use it as secondary so for me it works for 3 days straight. If u beed more backup then go for higher model of iphone 13.

I have a 12 mini that always gets me through the day. Even otherwise, always carry a MagSafe battery pack which is slightly smaller than the phone and can charge it up to 80% wirelessly.

I have been using iPhone 12 mini for about two years and now contemplating to switch. As mentioned on this thread the battery is indeed a weak point on the mini series.With an average screen time of 3.5 to 4 hrs. This will last you a day.

I realised this when I started traveling a lot last year. The phone would go from 100% to 87% within a hour while commuting by using taxi hailing apps. Same duration, my k20 Pro drops about 3%

The phone would stop charging due to over heating while using apple car play. I do not see this issue with an iPhone XS or any other Android device i have.

Barring the above two issues. It's a brilliant little phone, can take abuse (with case on) being thrown around or dunk it in water, takes brilliant photos, rarely hangs up, and runs like it was day one (other than battery issues)

If you like it, buy it with a case that comes with a battery bank.

A friend of a friend owns iPhone 13 mini and iPhone 13 (his brothers). He claims the image output from 13 and the mini are different. While I could not find any strong claims about this online, does it have some merit?

Frankly, the only problem I would have from Android would mainly be using Revanced and the headphone jack . For the second point, I'm using KZ AZ09 already, so I've kinda gotten used to the tws lifestyle (Might switch to neckband or something with a smaller case down the line).

I'm still torn. My main usage revolves around browsing, listening to music, and Youtube, unhealthy amounts of it actually. BTW my phone eats through 15-20% of battery overnight (10% if I restart just before sleeping).

12k for apple power bank and 3-4k for belkin one, man I'm already starting to feel hesitant. The accessories cost more, everything costs more!

Guess that's Apple.

I'm the guy who was happy he got a 10,000 mAh for 800 bucks lol. It's still good, so would just use that instead. Is it early for me to adopt to apple? I can't throw money at them

12k for apple power bank and 3-4k for belkin one, man I'm already starting to feel hesitant. The accessories cost more, everything costs more!

Guess that's Apple.

I'm the guy who was happy he got a 10,000 mAh for 800 bucks lol. It's still good, so would just use that instead. Is it early for me to adopt to apple? I can't throw money at them
Apple is a luxury product manufacturer & everything costs more for it - remember that.

Guess that's Apple.

The costs have crept up for everything over the years with even budget brands of yesteryear like OnePlus and Mi expecting to sell their commodity phones for 50-60k. In that sense, Apple has at least maintained control over the way it does things from the SoC, cameras to 6-7 years of OS updates which makes it worth it at the premium range, especially during sales.

Otherwise, comparing specs or VFM will never convince you to get an iPhone. I had purchased my 12 mini for 33k back during the 2021 sale and for that price, I wouldn't have opted for any Android equivalent. A MagSafe battery pack that you can carry in your pocket or use along with the phone are a matter of huge convenience and hence will be at a premium compared to generic products.

I agree on the longevity of iPhones and their software support, which is a good selling point for me. My mom is using iPhone 7 Plus, and it has crap battery. Else would've started my iOS journey from that phone.

Back