Time for some Popcorn Hour?

Quad Master said:
Popcorn look perfect with the features , but howz the build quality and the components.

Hope its long lasting.

build quality is decent. definitely not the most expensive looking, but it's not an eyesore either ;)

can't comment on the quality of the components though since i'm no electrical engineer.. but judging by comments from users who have received their units, have not come across anyone with hardware failure or dud units yet :)

As far as i know the only disadvantage of popcorn hour is currently dolby digital and DTS are in pass through mode and it can't decode these audio encodes. Most of the mkv movies have audio in these formats....
So you'd need another decoder (??) to decode these streams so that they can play on your speakers. How are u managing that?
Also no support for 5.1! Just stereo analog audio....
Could you elaborate on mkv playing? No need of decoding? is that right! Just off the shelf mkv files having mp4 video and ac3 audio won't work....it needs to have both mp4 avc video and mp4 aac audio in mkv to work....your opinions?

awesome ...buy. man ..this thing is der on ma wish list now ...!!

by da way can u tell me how u stream videos from ur PC to the player ??is it done wirelessly ?..if possible please explain in brief ?

rPOk said:
As far as i know the only disadvantage of popcorn hour is currently dolby digital and DTS are in pass through mode and it can't decode these audio encodes. Most of the mkv movies have audio in these formats....
So you'd need another decoder (??) to decode these streams so that they can play on your speakers. How are u managing that?
Also no support for 5.1! Just stereo analog audio....
Could you elaborate on mkv playing? No need of decoding? is that right! Just off the shelf mkv files having mp4 video and ac3 audio won't work....it needs to have both mp4 avc video and mp4 aac audio in mkv to work....your opinions?

well, there's not much point for the popcorn hour to have audio decoding for surround sound, since it's not meant to be hooked up directly to speakers, except for stereo analog setups.. for surround sound, most of us would prefer to use an AV receiver, which is what i'm doing.. the audio streams will be sent to my cambridge audio AVR via HDMI for decoding.. the popcorn hour also has SPDIF out for those ppl who have older AVRs that don't have HDMI inputs..

i don't quite understand your question on the mkv.. the popcorn hour decodes the mkv codecs and plays it directly.. mkv is just a container, so as long as the media files are encoded using h264/x264, the popcorn hour plays them just fine.. i've tried mkv files with AC3, DTS audio and they are all working just fine..

faheem_m said:
awesome ...buy. man ..this thing is der on ma wish list now ...!!

by da way can u tell me how u stream videos from ur PC to the player ??is it done wirelessly ?..if possible please explain in brief ?

the popcorn hour has an ethernet port.. how i've gotten wireless streaming on it is i have a buffalo router in bridge mode in my living room, which is then wirelessly connected (WDS) to another buffalo router attached to my home server... the popcorn hour (plus my xbox360, HTPC & NAS) are all connected via hardwire ethernet to the bridge router, so these devices are also able to access the content on my home server wirelessly.. i'd draw a schematic to illustrate, but i'm a little lazy now.. hope it's not confusing ;)

the popcorn hour has an ethernet port.. how i've gotten wireless streaming on it is i have a buffalo router in bridge mode in my living room, which is then wirelessly connected (WDS) to another buffalo router attached to my home server... the popcorn hour (plus my xbox360, HTPC & NAS) are all connected via hardwire ethernet to the bridge router, so these devices are also able to access the content on my home server wirelessly.. i'd draw a schematic to illustrate, but i'm a little lazy now.. hope it's not confusing ;)

naah you dont need to draw and illustrate.

looking at ur killer rigs and other setup ....i would better come to ur place and experience some awesome HD moviez..:p and see the whole setup..

all da gadgets and stuff connected wirelessly sounds really kewl.

so tell me when are u free ?:rofl:

^^ its fine...so you will need an A/V receiver.....to decode the AC3/DTS streams....

which cambridge model btw? cost? what speakers it drives?

Pictures as promised :)

package.jpg

size.jpg

backpanel.jpg

remote.jpg

rPOk said:
^^ its fine...so you will need an A/V receiver.....to decode the AC3/DTS streams....
which cambridge model btw? cost? what speakers it drives?

am using the cambridge audio 540R V3 receiver, paired with 2 x B&W 805S front, 2 x Usher S520 rear bookshelves and an old B&W centre speaker (can't recall the model number).. bought the 540R V3 from S'pore, cost me about S$1.2k (Rs 33k)..

burnz said:
am using the cambridge audio 540R V3 receiver, paired with 2 x B&W 805S front, 2 x Usher S520 rear bookshelves and an old B&W centre speaker (can't recall the model number).. bought the 540R V3 from S'pore, cost me about S$1.2k (Rs 33k)..

holy smokes (looking at B&W speakers) !!!

This has been in my wish list for long! You are very lucky to have gotten it so soon, its not easily available anywhere. Enjoy and post more pics!

^^ LOL ..bikey..u keep visiting every1's place kya .??...J/K

.kabhi hamare darshan bhi karao...though i dont own any gadget worth drooling..

Back