To BB or not to BB?

Speedz

Adept
Clichéd Title I know, but really in a fix.

Looking for a phone around 20k, almost locked in on the Bold 2 or 3 provided I could stretch, but then I am at college right now, and as of now my phone bills are in the sub 200 range, but the BIS plans start at freaking 299, plus the Phone and Text bills.

Main reason why I was looking for the BB was mail access and the BBM obviously, plus the fact that I am still kinda stuck with real keys than touch screen.

Now I am really in a fix, is the recurring expense of the BB worth it? Also, any other alternatives in the same price range with a nice full QWERTY keypad?

Thanks...

unless or untill u can spend or u really need it. its not worth going for 300 additional for bbm and mails as mails u can get on other phones too. but u have to sum up first buy phone for 20k then spend minimum 300 to use it else its a junk so overall 3600 a yr just to make that phone live. I am saying all this even after i am using bb from last 7 yrs now but i am using due to mails not bbm and secondly bills paid by office

unreal_ishan said:
well, all curent BBs are obsolete anyway...with the BB OS 7 coming...no point wasting so much money...rather, get a qwerty from Nokia and use Whatsapp for Chat
yea correct +1 but new bb with os 7 will be above 30 or so anyways out of budget

Only you can answer this question.

You need to decide what you want/need:

1. A good phone (then you can't have BB)

2. A BB

3. Both

If you need both which is what I would recommend get a BB Curve 8520 for BB and spend the rest on the best phone you can buy.

Even the most advanced BBs can't complete with a 8-10k non BB phone for non BB purposes.

You only need to buy a BB if you have enough contacts using the same, and if you deal with some amount of messaging. But you still need to buy a regular Android alongside.

And there is no point for BB if 400 a month on BB pinches you. Then you are better off with an android :) Sorry to be harsh but BB is only meant for people who belong to the elite or can afford two decent phones. The others are just idiots :p

Thanks for the replies so far,

I have a reasonable number of bbm contacts, plus main reason I am looking towards the BB is because of mails/sms and because of the QWERTY which I feel is the best among any phones around. Used friend's BB for about a month.

And not that 400 a month is gonna pinch me, but just because I can afford it doesn't mean I should right?

Two phones is not an option for me, tried once, just feels too much of a mess.

So, if not BB, what are the alternatives with QWERTY? Maybe one of em will make me opt out. :)

rite said:

2. A BB

3. Both

If you need both which is what I would recommend get a BB Curve 8520 for BB and spend the rest on the best phone you can buy.

Even the most advanced BBs can't complete with a 8-10k non BB phone for non BB purposes.

You only need to buy a BB if you have enough contacts using the same, and if you deal with some amount of messaging. But you still need to buy a regular Android alongside.

And there is no point for BB if 400 a month on BB pinches you. Then you are better off with an android :) Sorry to be harsh but BB is only meant for people who belong to the elite or can afford two decent phones. The others are just idiots :p
i dont agree that using bb will make anyone elite. I am using from last 7 yrs does not make elite. infact value of bb goes low to down even 17yrs old using bb lol what elite in that

Speedz said:
So, if not BB, what are the alternatives with QWERTY? Maybe one of em will make me opt out. :)
Do have a look at the Nokia E series phones (E5, E63, E72). They are pretty good with their QWERTY, and you get better multi media capabilities as compared to the BBs.

There is no point buying just a BB as one phone. You need to get a good phone like Android 20k plus too. So total 30k a year is for the elite.

Also, non-Elite doesn't really need BB much and will miss out on many android features by going for a BB alone!

rite said:

2. A BB

3. Both

I don't understand general people's mindset BB= elite + status symbol

with BB curve available for just 10k I see people madly getting crap BB phones over android

Speedz said:
Nokia is the second last thing on my get-list, just above Samsung.

Would prefer an HTC or Sony Ericsson, if not the BB that is.
The only HTC QWERTY I am aware of is the Desire Z. And I was not impressed with the key pad. It felt clumsy and hard.

Ok just to be clear on this,

I have been using a 2k sony phone with vga cam and no bluetooth for the first 2 years of my college, just because I bought it as a temporary replacement and got comfortable with it and saw no reason to switch. Now I find myself mailing everyday with regards to college as well as freelance work, and it's a pain to do so on the college wifi honestly, since I stay in a hostel.

So, I don't give 2 cents to elite status, nor do I want a host of features. I just need a reliable phone which is comfortable to do most of the work a phone is really supposed to i.e. calls. message and emailing. BBM is an added plus, for rest I have my Ipod, though I understand getting an Android will combine the 2 into one.

So, is BB actually that crap? And does any of what I said above changes the context in anyway? :)

Comparing to an Android, BB is crap. Get an android. Except if you want BB. And BB isn't what every other person needs, except if everybody in your friend circle has one, then it is a status symbol, and only elite people keep status symbols.

Other than BBM, Android is better for everything including using the internet, emailing etc.

No good android with qwerty. The only option under 20k is Milestone 2 which has outdated hardware and perhaps software too. Check desire z as already pointed out. but great non qwerty options in 20-30k android range, the cream in fact

rite said:
Comparing to an Android, BB is crap. Get an android. Except if you want BB. And BB isn't what every other person needs, except if everybody in your friend circle has one, then it is a status symbol, and only elite people keep status symbols.

Other than BBM, Android is better for everything including using the internet, emailing etc.
you seem to be deluded for all your mind.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Speedz said:
Hmm, then which is the best Android with a QWERTY around 20k?
samsung galaxy pro--12k

i use nokia e series with nokia messaging and it is still free,

2 yrs or so i am using it,fantastic service,10 accounts and all free and all works over simple gprs and you dont need any special plans like blackberry messaging and bis.

their is nothing elite about blackberry.

its common thing now.

keeping two phones does not make anyone elite.

in fac having 2 mobiles is nothing great.

even hamaal's also have mobile phones.

so stop the elite =blackberry

elite= two big phone costing more than 30k

Get any phone that pleases you... Go get a micromax for like just 4k or somethin... It doesnt matter and mostly am sure u use google as ur accoutn and there is an app for it. But if u want to receive push messages than go for the BB... Dont think too much u are just buying a phone...

BBs are no longer meant for Elite people... Even the bhajji wallas are now buying BB... It probably will show that u are following common trends nothing else...

@rite: For a guy wearing 5k jeans and 2k shirts am really surprised that u find BBs are meant for ELITE people... I thought VERTU was ELITE for the HNI group but am glad to know that I use a phone which is preffered by the ELITE class... Thanks for making my day...

Back