Camera To buy Nikon D5300 or D7100 ?

CeDrIc

Adept
Confused between buying D5300 or D7100.

Somewhat inclined towards D5300 since it has the movable screen.

Which one to go for?

Are you going to AF older -D lenses? Do you want dual control dials (D7100)? Do you need the better AF system on the D7100? Can you afford the price difference?
In all respects,the D7100 is the better camera, if your budget can stretch to it, go for it..

Which one to go for?
If you can afford it (even by streching your budget by little) then go for D7100 blindly. Best of the new releases from Nikon in the prosumer series. Dont even think twice about this.

Which one to go for?
D5300 vs D7100???
Come on... You should be knowing more about these two cameras than just the fully articulated screen. If not, you better do a little research before buying.

If & only IFF you are open for Canon.... have a look at Canon 70D.
But still of the two I prefer Nikon D7100 for its amazing low light performance.

P.S: I am Canon 700D user and love canon. But the D7100 is just too good :)

go for cheaper camera and a good lens rather than costlier camera with kit lens. buy body only and then use the rest of the money for buying a good prime lens.

Which one to go for?
Buddy, unless you specify what exactly you want from your camera and what is your possible future plan with upgrade, people will suggest many different camera and they are all great cameras.
Please tell us what is your budget (current and down the line) and what you want to do with your camera :)

I just went in for the D5300 this weekend, after some thought and I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive. I was considering the D7000 but with a decent lens, it would still be more expensive. The D7000 is a pretty old camera now, and the D7100 is too, to some extent. The performance difference between the D5300 and D7000/D7100 really isn't very obvious. I mean you see more differences between the D3000/D3100 and the D3300. The D3300 for example, is really impressive for its price, especially when you're clicking ISO1600/3200 shots.

There have been many improvements on the processor and image quality that make the D3300/D5300 worth it. Besides, the D5300 has WiFi which is limited, but there are 3rd party software that let you control aspects, and possibly transfer data directly to your PC. I'm not banking on that, but if it works, great. There's also 1080p60 video recording which both, the D7000 and D7100 don't have. The D7100 costs a lot more, and you can go in for the D5300, and use the money you saved on more glass.

Only real reasons to spend that much more for the D7100 are two memory card slots, two jog dials, dedicated lit screen at the top. The D5300 is some 44k with a kit lens, the D7100 is over 70k as far as I know, for just the body.

I just went in for the D5300 this weekend, after some thought and I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive. I was considering the D7000 but with a decent lens, it would still be more expensive. The D7000 is a pretty old camera now, and the D7100 is too, to some extent. The performance difference between the D5300 and D7000/D7100 really isn't very obvious. I mean you see more differences between the D3000/D3100 and the D3300. The D3300 for example, is really impressive for its price, especially when you're clicking ISO1600/3200 shots.

There have been many improvements on the processor and image quality that make the D3300/D5300 worth it. Besides, the D5300 has WiFi which is limited, but there are 3rd party software that let you control aspects, and possibly transfer data directly to your PC. I'm not banking on that, but if it works, great. There's also 1080p60 video recording which both, the D7000 and D7100 don't have. The D7100 costs a lot more, and you can go in for the D5300, and use the money you saved on more glass.

Only real reasons to spend that much more for the D7100 are two memory card slots, two jog dials, dedicated lit screen at the top. The D5300 is some 44k with a kit lens, the D7100 is over 70k as far as I know, for just the body.
Both of those cameras really cater to two different types of users.
D3xxx or D5xxx are Nikon's consumer series and hence you'll see the latest tech, better video capability and other things like flip screen etc.
D7xxx series on the other hand are meant for the wildlife/sports and/or prosumer users who need the vastly superior AF system, much better ergonomics, legacy lens support, better VF, dual card slot etc.
Like they say, horse for courses :)

Seconded @sabby

OP should weigh his options.
D5300: If he/she has no camera experience and wants an easy to use camera with a lot of functions to make his/her lofe easier
D7100: If he/she has camera experience and is looking to get more out of their camera and can tough it out with a few lesser innovative functions.

But in my experience, if you love photography, you will take to it as a fish to water. In the end you might find yourself outgrown from the beginner wheels provided by the d5300 and ending up yearning for the advanced functionality of the d7100.

Another important thing to consider is the budget. If you can stretch it a little or wait for a while to expand it a bit, you might find the d7100 rewarding. But if otherwise, d5300 it is.

Plus you what the pros say, the body is not what matters, what you should always invest in is the glass!!
And the greatest say, what matters more than the equipment is the actual photographer!!

Sorry if I digressed too far..
Hehe

Back