To download 24x7.

Rockfella

Playing BFV
ex-Mod
Hi,
As it says I want to buy a laptop/netbook/any new contraption to download 24x7. VFM and cheap.

Please throw in your suggestions.

Tia.

some cheap tab/anything that can download would do.

Getting tab running windows at ~7k is difficult. Also I m not sure how much easy it is to get a device at this budget with USB3. You may look at a display dead laptop - which can be connected via VGA.

If running windows is not a must, you can also have a look at routers with USB ports & custom firmwares.

Asus N13 + USB stick would suffice. One N13 is for sale in the TE for sale section. Have a dekko.

This will also keep your power consumption down (if it matters...)

Power consumption is top priority. Infact the reason why I can't download 24x7 on my desktop is because of crazy power cuts in Gurgaon. Even the inverter drains out sometimes. Thanks for posting.
Asus N13 + USB stick would suffice. One N13 is for sale in the TE for sale section. Have a dekko

This will also keep your power consumption down (if it matters...)

You can give this a read. I use this system "now" to surf / and DL. My gaming rig is gathering dust.

http://www.techenclave.com/communit...th-intel-d425kt-a-basic-24-x-7-dl-rig.120143/

Am sure you can find a mATX with USB - 3 now. Should be cheaper, overall too..!

Thanks for posting. This won't suffice. I need something with internal battery. Something like this (despite being over my budget)

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/Eee_PC_1025C/overview/

:p[DOUBLEPOST=1402540494][/DOUBLEPOST]
Getting tab running windows at ~7k is difficult. Also I m not sure how much easy it is to get a device at this budget with USB3. You may look at a display dead laptop - which can be connected via VGA.

If running windows is not a must, you can also have a look at routers with USB ports & custom firmwares.
Running windows is not a must, i just want a device for 24x7 downloading without keeping my desktop on. Linux would do as well.

why you need windows for 24x7 downloading. a router(with USB storage)+external hdd is enough.

my 24x7 download setup:
RT-N16 (TomatoUSB Shibby Mod) + Airtel ADSL router (Zyxel) + WD 500gb blue in transcend case with fan.

USyPPzD.jpg

_

Thanks for posting. This won't suffice. I need something with internal battery.

I was in similar situation about a month before, looking for lowering power consumption of my desktop. I was looking for something which could do surfing, playing HD movies & general document viewing stuff.

However in your case downloading is all what you require. Option with internal battery are tablets and notebooks, AFAIK. A 1st gen Core i3 display dead laptop should be just under approx ₹10,000.

Running windows is not a must, i just want a device for 24x7 downloading without keeping my desktop on. Linux would do as well.

Assuming devices are on low power consumption and can run on your backup power;
One of your option here is Raspberry Pi or Pogoplug sort of devices or routers with USB port and custom firmwares as mentioned in earlier post which are most VFM.

There is also a Intel Celeron based solution which consumes approx 30W at max with 1 HDD - Gigabyte CA1037U. It costs approx ₹5,000 with Celeron 1.8GHz but lacks USB3. Adding a 2GB RAM stick, Pico PSU and local cabinet would cost somewhere around ₹4,000 more - assuming you already have HDD. This will total out to ₹9,000 but will be full fledged desktop with Windows support, HD movies capability and casual games like CS.

am a old hag at this. consider this... whichever device u chose will almost always have to be behind the internet router, so best it to get a decent router with dd-wrt/tomato and let it download away at lowest power consumption.

why you need windows for 24x7 downloading. a router(with USB storage)+external hdd is enough.

my 24x7 download setup:
RT-N16 (TomatoUSB Shibby Mod) + Airtel ADSL router (Zyxel) + WD 500gb blue in transcend case with fan.

USyPPzD.jpg

_
What's this? Can you throw some light?

What's this? Can you throw some light?
the black one is the ADSL modem (zyxel brand purchased from Airtel), the white one is the Asus RT-N16 wifi router, below the adsl modem is the transcend ext HDD case (with 80mm fan at the bottom) connected to the RT-N16 via USB. a WD 500gb blue hdd is there inside the case. the 3 LAN cables connected to the RT-N16 are my desktop, IP cam and TV.

the tomatousb custom rom in the RT-N16 will automatically spindown the HDD if there is no activity for long time. it is the best rom for downloading torrents (it has transmission torrent client) and customisation. the ipcam stores pics and videos in the HDD whenever it detects motion.

_

Back