To Space and Speed

YoGi-Sama

Skilled
After reading WD640's deal from Prime ABGB for many days, today I finally gave in. I was around lammy, and though the visit was mostly casual roaming and checking rates for one of my friend... I returned home with WD640 drive.

But that wasn't all that I bought today. To put WD640 to good use I needed something more than USB2.0 enclosure... I needed eSata... and luckily I got one. Let the pics do the talking...

The Packaging

The Goodies

The Enclosure

The Drive

The Connectors

The Damage

WD640 : 3850/- from PrimeABGB (Many thanks to Eazy sir, for special deal to TE members)

Transcend StoreJet 35 Ultra : 1700/- from Plug-n-Play

I still have to run file transfer and check the speed and stuff... but looks like Switch has already saved me the trouble.
I noticed his review after I bought the enclosure.

Check his short review on the same combo here : http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/very-brief-review-transcend-esata-casing-116822.html

[Thanks a lot man!!]
:D

So anyone looking for good eSata enclosure for their WD640 (any big drive), this sure is good choice. Although I feel price could have little less, when I compare to another similar eSata enclosure from newegg which I previously had thought of getting, I think the cost is also quite same.

Thx... :)

Yeh... it was indeed a good choice, though I just took a chance. I've used couple of transcend enclosures for 2.5" drives before; and while they were good enough... I wasn't sure how good this one would be. Had I read your review before, I would have grabbed it without blinking. Nevertheless, I am happy that I got lucky.

Only problem... I couldn't get hot-swap working on eSata on my P5KC board. Not a big problem, but would have been better to have hot-swap. I tried AHCI but for some reason hot-plugging didn't work and file transfer got slow. Anyway Not enclosure's fault, but my board's.

All in all, good stuff... eSata is notoriously fast, as good as internal drives. But it feels much better when you consider this for external drives.

Congrats iGo. :)

Can't we enable/disable HDDs via disk management in Windows or something of that sorts to allow hot plugging of eSata devices?
Are our regular SATAII HDDs/mobo headers supposed to be hot pluggable/swappable too?

I don't know and have not tried and always switch off rig before connecting/disconnecting HDDs as i am too chicken with stuff. :ashamed:

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Can't we enable/disable HDDs via disk management in Windows or something of that sorts to allow hot plugging of eSata devices?

Are our regular SATAII HDDs/mobo headers supposed to be hot pluggable/swappable too?

I have not been able to disconnect an eSATA HDD from my system with the Intel 775 MoBo but my A8N-E allowed this when I installed the Nvidia IDE Drivers.

I did a search just now and came across this program "HOTSWAP" , maybe this will do the job. Download from -

HotSwap Download - Softpedia

The HotSwap! application was designed basically to help you remove devices from Device Manager. But the user interface is much friendly as compatible with the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the notification area and it is much safer as it prevents the drive being removed if the drive is in use. With this software, you can use SATA/eSATA drives as even better removable drives than USB/IEEE1394 drives. Here are some key features of "HotSwap": · Compatible user interface with the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on Windows XP. · Confirms all volumes assigned to the drive are not in use before...

EDIT: @iGO ... NICE CASE !! .... and SUPER pictures !!

EDIT 2 : @Bikey - came across this thread with good info on "SATA Hot Plug Problem" (got the link for the HOTSWAP program from this thread) ..... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246032-32-ich9r-sata-plug-problem

Back