Too many windows

ajha

Disciple
Hi Folks

I am able to boot my pc by help of you guys. thnaks a lot !

I m now facing another poblem. I have 40 Gb harddisk with 4 partitions og 10 GB in all. Initially I was having two O/s Win XP prof. and Win 98. After sometime my win xp prof. o/s get corrupted and I installed another O/s thios time XP home. It was working fine but sometime it also failed andresulted in non booting of my pc which you guys suggested and i worked it by geeting pc booted through .

I tried to repair to previous XP home installation but it asked for administrative password which I was not having. ( I have never used one). Hence I installed a new o/s Win xp home in another partition.

Now on starting of computer my screen shows four o/s.
1. WIN XP HOME ( Working)
2. WIN XP HOME (Corrupt)
3. WIN XP PRof. (Corrupt)
4. Win 98 (Working)

As you see these o/s are useless and are just acquiring memory and space on harddrive, kindly sufggest how to remove these installations.

A valuable help is required

You will have to edit your boot.in file .

Open it with notepad and remove the 2 and 3 entry of win xp home n prof. Dont delete anything else.

Or just paste your boot.ini file here we will tell which lines to remove.

As you see these o/s are useless and are just acquiring memory and space on harddrive, kindly sufggest how to remove these installations.

Their presence in boot.ini is not requiring any memory / resources.

But still better to remove the entries.

I ma able to locate boot.ini through msconfig but unabkle to find actual file so that i can open in notepad. A search for file shows four to five entries of backup of file.

On opening these file through notepad these files are diffreent that what is in msconfig

Kindly help

go to c:\ ( first uncheck 'do not show hidden files and folders' in folder options ) . click on boot.ini ( select notepad if it shows what app. to open it with ) .

uncheck 'do not show hidden files and folders' in folder options

Boot.ini is treate as a protected OS file, and not as a hidden file, so here we go:

- Go to windows explorer,,,click on >Tools>folder options|View>Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

- GO to C:\ now you'll see a file called boot.ini

- Edit and remove the unrequired options...

Also, if u think that the leftover files from the previous corrupt installations are still on ur comp, (most probably they aren't), just closely check the path shown in the invalid (corrupt ) entries in ur boot.ini, then go check the location they are pointing to...In all probability, they would be invalid locations, but just in case they are pointing to Folders like win.000 /win.001 etc, just shift+delete those folders altogether

-

heres the long way to edit your boot.ini file

no need to remove the read only property either ;)

Back