Torrent ratio

Hello all,
I use uTorrent client for downloading. And usually if the ratio goes above 1, I will stop seeding the same. Is this a right approach? Or should I seed more than this level?
let me know.

depends if you're on a public or private tracker or your wish.

I do it according to availability of the files on a whole:

if i am on a public or private tracker i seed till 1.5 or greater if there are less than 7 seeds. once i had to seed till 5+ ratio since i was the only guy left seeding on a public tracker. finally stopped after some 4 seeds came.

for greater than 10 seeds i seed till 1.5 only.

a 1:1 seeding rule is fine with all trackers. if you want to go higher than that, it is totally up to you. personally, I keep every torrent seeding till at least a 2:1 ratio or two weeks, whichever comes first. that negates any possibility of getting banned by either ratio requirements or any time requirements.

+1 to above posts

And ,

IT's totally up to you if you are on public tracker.

But general practice would be to maintain 1:1 at least. And IMO 1:2 would be very good, unless you are not using any private tracker.

If you are using any private tracker then it's always better to seed as long as possible. Means atleast maintain 1:2.

I have torrents seeded for months :p

As the peeps have sugegsted it all depends on the tracker....
If its public i seed nothing :p
But for some private tracker like hdbits I seed for months just for the bonus points

yes, IT's public tracker. Where ratio of down:up is not counted. And It's not Mandatory for you to register with the site, and Log in each time.

For example: TPB, mininova, seedpeer,....

Where else in Private tracker it's compulsory to register, maintain ratio of down:up as well as follow individual site's rules. Otherwise you may be banned.

For example: demonoid, iptorrents, torrentleech, etc etc

kjd_1122 said:
yes, IT's public tracker. Where ratio of down:up is not counted. And It's not Mandatory for you to register with the site, and Log in each time.
For example: TPB, mininova, seedpeer,....

Where else in Private tracker it's compulsory to register, maintain ratio of down:up as well as follow individual site's rules. Otherwise you may be banned.
For example: demonoid, iptorrents, torrentleech, etc etc
thanks for the info. So to get into private trackets, do I need to get invitation? rite? Is private trackers are faster than public?

salluks said:
^^ but still u should seed as long as possible if ur on unlimited connection,

never mind yaar
i dont seed on a public tracker :p

anyways the day of http torrents are just coming direct downloads

ab ratio gayi tel lene!!

Yes , You need invite to join any private tracker.

In most cases it does not make any difference for speed. Unless you are having internet connection of more then 4-8 Mbps,

Finally the whole funda is P2P, so Speed will depend on the peer who is seeding the file.

And your int conn.

So Like 10 people are seeding the file of 10 MB at upload speed of 100kbps. So total speed right now given is 1 Mbps, BUT BUT BUT, you can only optimize the total speed 1 Mbps unless your int conn is capable of downloading files for that speed.

IMO it's better to join private tracker coz,

1) You will get clean content in 99% of cases.

2) You will get things faster then on public tracker

3) In most cases speed is benefit while downloading from Pvt.tracker ,and also uploading

4) Less chances of Hit and Run. So file availability would be good in comparison of Pub. Tracker.

More advantages can be added also

Now I am bit confused...

1. If pirate bay is not private tracker...how come the files are scattered and they resides in private people's computers right? Only the link is in PirateBay site...

this is waht I Understood.

In case of private tracker what is the difference than this? there is no website like Piratebay.org for these?

And Private tracker downloads will happen only if the other party turned on and upload?

ie, in case of Private, I need to checkout the availability of other people in the network (peers) and connect?

^ you got it all confused.

A public tracker is the one where you dont need to register on its website to have access to its tracker.Whereas a private tracker is where you need to register at some site.Only after registering you will be given access to "its" torrents.

So basically on a public tracker anyone can come in, download the torrent,and leech/seed it.But the torrent download page itself is not available for public on a private tracker.Just like I cannot use gmail without registering myself with gmail.You get it !! :)

The way the torrents function is pretty much the same on both the private as well as public trackers.But there is difference.... on public tracker how much you downloaded or uploaded is not recorded on the site,but on a private tracker it is.Hence the above discussions regd ratio and such.

@anand

Private and Public are types of trackers and torrenting is a technology where the files are scattered on many computers and this information is available with the trackers. So just do not link the fact that files are stored on 'private' computers and all.

In public trackers, it does not matter if you do not seed back. Have you ever registered to download a torrent from piratebay ?? No right ??

Now try visiting iptorrents.com and see if you can register. Even if you find a registration link you wont be able to register as this is a invite only tracker. Most of the private trackers are like that. Here the volume you download / upload is tracked and if your ratio falls below certain limit you are warned and if still there is no improvement, you are banned. This simply means you now have no access to that website (private tracker) of yours. This is like forcing you to seed what you have leeched.

You can expect better speeds in private trackers than public trackers (IMO).

Take this scenario:

1. You download a torrent from piratebay and download its contents.

2. You download a torrent from IPT (registration required) and download its contents.

Now you are seeding both of them, but the difference is that one is using a private tracker(IPT) and another one public(Piratebay). See both the files are on your 'private' computer right ?? So that thing is out of question. 'Private computer' and 'Private Tracker' are not to be associated in any way.

Back