Android Touch repsonse stopped working

Hi,

A Samsung M21 phone was bought in 2020. Screen was broken after 2 months and replaced from service center by paying 4800. It worked very well. Yesterday all of a sudden touch stopped responding or touch response was very late. Removed glass guard. Now touch is fine in the middle screen but on top and bottom the touch is 99% not working or is working once after pressing 10 or more times. Phone did not fell or did not get any water damage. Last ota update was in December. Usage is normal at home usage. No gaming. Service center said motherboard replacement is needed which will cost 8200 including service charges plus gst. Previously users of this phone complained this
Any ideas? @Kaleen Bhaiya @Emperor @nRiTeCh @tech.monk @Ankit2306

Thanks

Try getting a quote from a thrid party. Getting a Mobo replaced for that price is pointless as you can easily get a new phone with some additional money.
Don't want to say but be prepared for a new phone should it cost a lot to repair it or if there are frequent issues with the device.

Hi,

A Samsung M21 phone was bought in 2020. Screen was broken after 2 months and replaced from service center by paying 4800. It worked very well. Yesterday all of a sudden touch stopped responding or touch response was very late. Removed glass guard. Now touch is fine in the middle screen but on top and bottom the touch is 99% not working or is working once after pressing 10 or more times. Phone did not fell or did not get any water damage. Last ota update was in December. Usage is normal at home usage. No gaming. Service center said motherboard replacement is needed which will cost 8200 including service charges plus gst. Previously users of this phone complained this
Any ideas? @Kaleen Bhaiya @Emperor @nRiTeCh @tech.monk @Ankit2306

Thanks
Quoting mobo replacement is pretty common. Its actually digitizer/display issue. Had face these issues with my sony phone twice and got display replaced once within warranty from service center and after warranty they quoted me to replace entire assy- mobo/display etc. bombing me some 18k. Got it replaced outside for just 2k back then.
If you are using phone in back pockets etc. then its the primary cause for such sudden failures.

Since you got the screen replaced just 2 months back from service centre, it should still be in warranty. You will have to ask them to show you that it is a mobo issue and not a screen issue, by connecting a new screen first.

Sounds like a problem with the digitizer , unfortunately the display and digitizer is a single unit , can also be a issue with the flex cable , visit the service centre , changing the mobo should be the last choice .

@Kaleen Bhaiya @rdst_1 @Ankit2306
Thanks. The phone was bought in 2020, the screen was broken when it accidentally fell in 2020 itself and got it replaced from the service center. They quoted a 6 months warranty afaik. Anyways it worked fine. It is used at home. It stays at home always and is never put in the back pocket. Have horrible experience with after market shops so will stick with the service center.

@nRiTeCh @Ankit2306
The digitizer/display issue that you guys have mentioned, what causes that? Can that be repaired? If not then what is the alternative screen replacement or mobo replacement?

Mainboard=mobo?
This phone has a plastic back but they have mentioned glass back on their website.

A digitizer is a layer of glass that’s designed to convert analog signals into digital signals, and it’s connected to an LCD by a flex cable. The Digitizer+LCD unit is a separate unit than the Motherboard of the phone , the service centre would be able to isolate the issue , if its the Display unit thats faulty or the Mobo of the Phone ..
And yes Mainbord = Mobo

the service centre would be able to isolate the issue , if its the Display unit thats faulty or the Mobo of the Phone ..
This. They are adamant that mobo needs replacement, period. Not even willing to listen. The problem is that there is only one service center here :( They won't even provide the replaced part back

This. They are adamant that mobo needs replacement, period. Not even willing to listen. The problem is that there is only one service center here :( They won't even provide the replaced part back
Ask them to show you that by attaching a new display or attaching your display to another phone and showing that it isn't faulty. You will have to deal with them tactfully and make them understand that their attitude won't work with you. Most smaller cities have only 1 service centre but that doesn't mean we are at their mercy. You will have to stand for your right because you are paying for the service.

Ask them to show you that by attaching a new display or attaching your display to another phone and showing that it isn't faulty
Bhai I tried this thing but they were like displays come in sealed packets once opened we cannot pack it back and some God level excuses. Contacted Samsung customer care for the first time, they are also next level idiots. "Sir service center theek keh rha hoga"

Followed this

The phone shows passed like the video but unfortunately still facing touch issues like before + @Ankit2306
Received a call from the service center 2 minutes back after I complained to Samsung, they said they will install software provided by samsung. It will format the phone, if the touch starts working then good otherwise screen needs to be replaced. Software cost 1000+gst. They said customer is not allowed in their back office So, I can either wait there for 4-5 hours or drop the phone there with them for the software thing.

Last edited:
They said customer is not allowed in their back office So, I can either wait there for 4-5 hours or drop the phone there with them for the software thing.

Every service centre does this, including for car service etc. One time a supervisor at the car workshop, asked me that do you enter operation theatre as well. He was equating himself to a brain surgeon. I don't budge and eventually they have to carry out the repair or service in front of me. But it definitely is a hit or miss. You are in a fix. If I were you, I would tell them to show that the display they gave is alright and it is not your headache how they do it because it is under warranty. They can give multiple reasons but you will have to argue your case that you don't trust their diagnosis unless they show and explain to you how they have come to the verdict that the display is fine and the motherboard is bad since prima facie it is a screen issue and that too with one you recently got installed from them.

Sounds like the Samsung CS or Service centre is not sure what the problem is , ether Software or Display or Else The MainBoard , if the service centre providing a job sheet , with the problem Written in it ?
Giving you some secret codes for testing the Device ...check if it works and you are able to find any Clue ..
*#*#0*#*#* - LCD test
*#*#2664#*#* - Touch-Screen test
*#0*# Test Mode
Check Below Video For Reference

Last edited:
Every service centre does this, including for car service etc. One time a supervisor at the car workshop, asked me that do you enter operation theatre as well. He was equating himself to a brain surgeon. I don't budge and eventually they have to carry out the repair or service in front of me. But it definitely is a hit or miss. You are in a fix. If I were you, I would tell them to show that the display they gave is alright and it is not your headache how they do it because it is under warranty. They can give multiple reasons but you will have to argue your case that you don't trust their diagnosis unless they show and explain to you how they have come to the verdict that the display is fine and the motherboard is bad since prima facie it is a screen issue and that too with one you recently got installed from them.
They have agreed to change to change the display but at our ownr risk, if it doesn’t work then it is not their fault. They are charging 1500 extra than the cost of display as per samsung site which includes labor and gst. They said that as per rules they won't be giving back the existing display.

I would tell them to show that the display they gave is alright and it is not your headache how they do it because it is under warranty
You mean that I should ask them to show me the new display before fitting it into the phone? Will it have Samsung's internal serial number for knowing about its authenticity?
P.S. The exisiting display was changed last year so it is out of warranty.
Sounds like the Samsung CS or Service centre is not sure what the problem is , ether Software or Display or Else The MainBoard , if the service centre providing a job sheet , with the problem Written in it ?
Giving you some secret codes for testing the Device ...check if it works and you are able to find any Clue ..
*#*#0*#*#* - LCD test
*#*#2664#*#* - Touch-Screen test
*#0*# Test Mode
Check Below Video For Reference
Thank you sir. All these codes show that the device is fine, besides one test please check next post, and *#2663* is the code for tsp which already showed passed when I tried it yesterday https://techenclave.com/threads/touch-repsonse-stopped-working.204912/post-2350465

Just a stupid question, as these codes are showing that the touch/screen is okay then could this be a mobo fault? + @rdst_1

Last edited:
P.S. The exisiting display was changed last year so it is out of warranty.

Just a stupid question, as these codes are showing that the touch/screen is okay then could this be a mobo fault? + @rdst_1

I am so sorry that I read your OP wrong. All my advice was based on thinking that the screen was changed 2 months ago and was in warranty.
This is a U-turn from me and if they are saying that screen is alright and it's the mobo that is damaged and replacing it will solve the issue for sure, then that is a better choice.

Edit- Sorry missed this test *#0*# >>>> touch sensor test. Just slided my finger on the boxes and the first result is

Individually clicked on white boxes multiple times and the result is

it means mobo is ok and screen needs replacement? i think *#2663# just calibrates the screen or something that is why it show passed.

The screen replacement cost is 1500 more than the price quoted by exchange on flipkart and amazon.as screen was replaced one year ago also so is it okay for internal parts if it is exchanged again? @Ankit2306 @rdst_1

Well the Result is infront of you bro , its clear you touch is not working fine .
Thank you so much sir. I owe you all a cup of coffee.
The screen replacement cost is 1500 more than the price quoted by exchange on flipkart and amazon. As screen was replaced one year ago also so is it okay for internal parts if it is exchanged again? Pardon me for asking this, if touch has gone kaput then whole display will be replaced, right?

^^ Now a days local repair guys are able to replace only digitizer as well for as low as 700-1200. Give it a try, I have got it done twice myself and they work really well.

^^ Now a days local repair guys are able to replace only digitizer as well for as low as 700-1200. Give it a try, I have got it done twice myself and they work really well.
700-1200? Not here. They do a good job but with time the problem becomes worse or it creates another issue, speaking from my personal experience.

700-1200? Not here. They do a good job but with time the problem becomes worse or it creates another issue, speaking from my personal experience.

check with local but OLD/Reputed Repair shop and not with shops that are (on illegal land/road side/ or in grey area) also avoid shops that are mostly run by Tapori/Rowdy type guys

Back