Touchscreen on my EEE PC

Pat

Skilled
Hello everyone. I just managed to complete my second hardware mod on my EEE. I installed a touch-screen on EEE 701. It is completely amazing and a must-have for all EEE 701 owners IMO. Using EEE was never so fun, be it surfing or anything else. :)

The touchpanel is of absolute top quality. Sensitivity is perfect and I can use my fingers on the screen instead of a pen or stylus without any issues.I have fallen in love with this little beauty all over again. A picture is worth more than a thousand words, a video is worth probably a million

Here are two not-so good quality videos of my EEE with touch-screen. I wonder how playing games on touch-screen would be like.

YouTube - EEE 701 with a touchscreen

YouTube - EEE PC 701 with a touchscreen

One more interesting part about using a touchscreen is that the display can be inverted 180 degrees and can be used like a pure touch device with the display part resting on the lap. This is what I mean:

One thing that I am very excited about is that the panel manufacturer also provides linux drivers. Looking forward to installing arch on this babe. Its gonna be my first complete linux system with a touchscreen :hap2:

Basically to perform this mod, you need a lot of guts and patience.

Here is some more information about this mod:

1. Touch-panel bought from a reputed seller on ebay (fidodido). Note that he ships from taiwan. As I am not in India currently, I was quite sure that customs people wont be a problem. If you order it from India, I am not sure whether customs people will allow it for free or not.

2. The panel cost me 31 Euros plus 16 Euros for shipping. (which is approx Rs. 3k) I dont think its too expensive.

3. For this mod, you have to completely open your EEE (i.e. void your warranty). Its not so difficult actually. This is the guide that I used.

EeeUser ASUS Eee PC Forum / EEE PC Internal Mods Guide

4. Also on the ebay sale, the seller has given clear instructions.

7" SOLDERLESS Touch Panel Screen Kit EeePC/Eee PC MOD bei eBay.de: Sonstige (endet 23.07.08 11:52:53 MESZ)

5. I also saw jkks videos a lot of times and also referred to EEE PC Internal Upgrades Guide:

jkkmobile: How to add touch panel to Asus Eee Pc

Eee PC Internal Upgrades - ivc wiki

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Congrats yaar :hap2:
wow 3k
Do check for Pressure Sensitivity
Try photoshop to paint..and test it...
i don't why wacom charges so much....
i think wacom charges for 1024 Pressure Sensitivity :mad: :mad: :mad:

gaganjain said:
Congrats yaar :hap2:
wow 3k
Do check for Pressure Sensitivity
Try photoshop to paint..and test it...
i don't why wacom charges so much....
i think wacom charges for 1024 Pressure Sensitivity :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sensitivity is pretty cool if you ask me. I can use it with my fingers alone. Btw, in the second video I have opened up paint and tried to use some of its tools.

That is a very good reason for a showoff thread! A mod well done :p I get my MSI Wind in a few day(s) HOPEFULLY but I won't be in any hurry to mod it.

Repped for uniqueness

Back