TP link Archer A6 - Network speed capped at 10 MBPS

Model: Archer A6
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20220923 rel.62166(5553)

So i got a router from a fellow member yesterday and configured everything. But my network speed (between the ONU and router) is capped at 10 MBPS on both wired and wireless connection.
I have tried everything but it never crosses 10 MBPS. I upgraded the firmware (latest one), reset the router , changed the cable , and everything else. But nothing worked. The same connection gives around 50MBPS when connected directly to laptop / desktop. My ISP is saying that the router is at fault and I also suspect that its an issue with the router.

But need your valuable suggestion if I am missing something or other.

@Zino @nRiTeCh
@enthusiast29

Attachments

• image_2023-04-23_120346459.png
    image_2023-04-23_120346459.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 183
  • image_2023-04-23_120418090.png
    image_2023-04-23_120418090.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 178
Set the negotiation speed to Auto, if that's a setting.
Try connecting laptop to router via LAN and see if that negotiates at 1Gbps.
Try with different cables.
Try different ports on ONU.

I noticed you connected ONU to router via WAN. That'll put you in double NAT mode if not using bridge mode.
My suggestion is to set ONU to bridge mode and then connect ONU LAN to router WAN.
If bridge mode is not available then connect LAN to LAN but do put a static IP in router which is in the same subnet as DHCP in ONU and disable DHCP of router.

If all else fails and you're daring enough then flash a custom firmware like OpenWRT on this and try again.

Set the negotiation speed to Auto, if that's a setting.
Try connecting laptop to router via LAN and see if that negotiates at 1Gbps.
Try with different cables.
Try different ports on ONU.

I noticed you connected ONU to router via WAN. That'll put you in double NAT mode if not using bridge mode.
My suggestion is to set ONU to bridge mode and then connect ONU LAN to router WAN.
If bridge mode is not available then connect LAN to LAN but do put a static IP in router which is in the same subnet as DHCP in ONU and disable DHCP of router.

If all else fails and you're daring enough then flash a custom firmware like OpenWRT on this and try again.

->It was initially set to auto. I manually changed it to 1000 MPBS full duplex.
->Laptop to router negotiates with full speed ie 1 GBPS
->Tried with 3 different cables. All cables negotiate at full 1 GBPS when connected between router and LAN port of laptop.
->There is only one port on ONU. My ISP already swapped it another ONU. But the issue persists.

Is there any issue if i am under double NAT? The ports are still open and I did a port check and works fine. i have connected router and ONU using LAN cable and that seems to be the bootleneck in the network.

Attachments

• image_2023-04-23_125113428.png
    image_2023-04-23_125113428.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 172
Do you have any other router to test? See if that negotiates at 1Gbps.
Else it could be the WAN port on the router. In that case talk with seller.

Maybe you have a local friend who can check the router for you.

100MBps = 1Gbps and 100Mbps = 10MBps
The capitalization matters.
I hope you're aware you're writing the wrong units all along even if you mean right.

Anyways, does the 100Mbps router negotiates at full bandwidth?
You have to get the new router checked elsewhere in that case.

You seem to have tried almost every steps suggested by @enthusiast29 which would have been suggested by others too. So ask the seller what LAN speeds he was getting and for evidences.
Or best bet is to borrow a friends 1gbps port router and test.

Ideally if its set at Auto-nego it should take 1gbps by default depending on the lan cable type capabilities between ONU-Router.

The ONU is at fault here and not the router. The internet port negotiation speed needs to be changed to 1000Mbps Full Duplex on the ONU.

Last edited:
Any idea how to access it directly ?
Is your ONU in bridge mode?
If not, try 192.168.1.1 (or just copy any connected device's IP and put 1 as last part) in browser.
Otherwise connect laptop to ONU via cable and check the gateway in network settings. Try that in browser

Edit: Does connecting laptop via cable to ONU's port show up as 100mbps or 1000mbps in ethernet settings on the laptop?

Is your ONU in bridge mode?
If not, try 192.168.1.1 (or just copy any connected device's IP and put 1 as last part) in browser.
Otherwise connect laptop to ONU via cable and check the gateway in network settings. Try that in browser

Edit: Does connecting laptop via cable to ONU's port show up as 100mbps or 1000mbps in ethernet settings on the laptop?
Connecting the ONU directly to the laptop shows as 1 Gbps connection. So i doubt that the ONU is at fault here.

Btw, tried with another old DLINK 100 Mbps router. And guess what, the link speed shows as 100 Mbps . And i am getting like 30 Mbps speed. Not ideal. But much better than earlier one. My internet is a 50 Mbps connection so i can live up with that for the time being. My ISP is going to a replacement router (which i was avoiding as they give Chinese SYROTECH router with inbuilt ONU) in 2-3 days.

I had tried to upgrade the router as most of the ports are blocked in the SYROTECH router. And i simply could not open ports even with a plethora of fiddling with that device.

Seller told that he never faced any such issues. Anyway I am returning the router and calling it a day.

1. is link /pppoe terminated on ONU/ONT? please confirm this.?

2. if yes . connect the laptop to onu directly. ONU ports have 1g ports mostly. ONT has one 100 and one 1g. dual band ont has mostly all four ports as 1gbps.

and post the result here.

Back