TP-LINK TD-W8961ND ADSL2+ Modem Router Review

About the company
cThnO.jpg

TP-LINK Technologies CO. LTD founded in 1996 in Shenzhen, is a manufacturer of computer networking product based in China. Product includes router, switch, ADSL MODEM router, Wireless router, 3G Modems and network adapters for PCs. They also produces IP cameras, power line adapters, print servers, media converters for end user.
Since entering the international market in 2005, TP-LINK products have been deployed in over 100 countries. In India also we can find wide variety of TP-LINK products.

PLMlQ.jpg

Main Feature

• High speed DSL modem, NAT router and wireless access point in one device providing a one-stop networking solution
• Wireless N speed up to 300Mbps makes it ideal for heavy bandwidth consuming or interruption sensitive applications like online gaming, Internet calls and even the HD video streaming
• Easy Setup Assistant with multi-language support provides a quick & hassle free installation
• SPI and NAT firewall protects end-user devices from potential attacks from the Internet
• WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK encryptions provide user networks with active defense against security threats
• Easy one-touch WPA wireless security encryption with the WPS button
• Wi-Fi On/Off Button allows users to simply turn their wireless radio on or off
• QoS enables smooth IPTV streaming and lag-free online gaming
• Port VLAN binds specific LAN ports and PVCs for differential services
• Annex M doubles the upstream data rate
• Auto-reconnect keeps user online indefinitely
• Backward compatible with 802.11b/g products

Product Specification

Pros:

#Low price
[URL=http://www.techenclave.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 00MBPS[/URL] router/modem with Dual-Antenna
#Supports wireless HD video streaming
#IEEE 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b Wireless standard
#Wifi On/off button inbuild
#Exceptional Wireless Performance
#WPS One Button Security
#Easy to setup
#Supports WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK encryptions
#QoS enables smooth IPTV streaming and lag-free online gaming
#Backward compatible with 802.11b/g products
#All required accessories included.
#3 year Warranty

Cons:

#No USB port

The Package:

dcITS.jpg

The BOX

6HZpp.jpg

dIYzX.jpg

Accessories

The box it came with is square in shape and blue-white in color combination. The main feature of the product is written all over the box with one big picture of product on right corner of the box. On back side it shows the typical network diagram and feature and benefits of the product.
The box contains another hard box which contains Wireless modem/router, small CD, ADSL splitter, 2X RJ11 wire, LAN cord, other product information booklet and product manual.

Design:

Nowadays most of us have broadband connection. Our ISP does provides modem for connecting to internet but modem doesn't came up with premium feature like Wireless router-modem does. The main big advantage of this product is that it comes with modem inbuilt. So, we don't have to use old modem anymore. In that way we can save power, space and money.

This new wireless router-modem from TP-Link looks like a Submarine. Really never seen a unique thing like this. It comes with vent all around its upper body to dissipate the hot air. Yeah this design works very well. You can use this 24X7X30X365 only because of this design.
On front it comes up with 9 light indicator.
G2DQY.jpg

On back side of the device it has four Ethernet port, one RJ11 port, power port, wifi on/off button, WPS, reset and device on/off switch.
This product also comes with dual 2X3dBi for transmitting the wireless signals.
qvMnh.jpg

Configuring the device

Note: Please use only wired network connection to configure the router.
GaC5V.jpg

(A) Connect Ethernet cable from your computer (LAN port) to router port (Ethernet or LAN port no-1). Then,
(B) connect splitter to the wall jack using a telephone line( for broadband connection) then use the other telephone line directly connect it the ADSL port on the router and the modem port of the splitter, also have the phone port of the splitter connected to a telephone.
(C) Plug the power adapter and put the power on button there on the back of the router.
Now insert the CD and give the username & password of your connection ,and VPI and VCI number and you are done and connected to the internet. :)

T-LINK Modem Router Settings for BSNL Broadband connection

WAN Connection Type: PPPoE
VPI [0-255]: 0
VCI [32-65535]: 35
User Name: XXXXX
Password: XXXXX
Network Name (SSID): ABCD
Network Security Type: Most Security (WPA2-PSK)
Network Security Key: XXXXX

Verdict:
PLMlQ.jpg

If you want affordable solution for your broadband connection then this is the product for you. It comes with every feature that you needed to run your small home network. The looks, range, feature and performance of this device is best for bucks. There is no dropout in connection at all. Signals strength is always full in my 1200 sq. feet flat thanks to dual-antenna. So, I am totally satisfied with this product and will recommend every others to buy it.

Other recommended product:

TP-LINK TD-W8951ND
da4Ax.png

TP-LINK TD-W8968
JHiU8.png

TP-LINK TD-W8960N
XCXwq.png

Your comment about DSL2750U is wrong. I have used it for about 4 months and it is a breeze to setup and absolutely no connection dropping issues.

Tenida i must say that you've got a knack of reviewing new stuff quickly. kudos!
your experience is the same with this beautiful-looking and great performing router as of another user of it, manu1991.

I have a local broadband connection which is connected to laptop directly by lan cable(Rj-45)... will this model work to create a wi-fi ??

If not suggest VFM wi-fi modem/router about 2k...

Thanks.

I have a local broadband connection which is connected to laptop directly by lan cable(Rj-45)... will this model work to create a wi-fi ??

If not suggest VFM wi-fi modem/router about 2k...

Thanks.
You mean you have cable broadband connection?

Its a modem cum wireless router and for your connection normal wireless router will do fine. You can buy Asus RT-N10E @1.2k from flipkart dot com.

You mean you have cable broadband connection?

Its a modem cum wireless router and for your connection normal wireless router will do fine. You can buy Asus RT-N10E @1.2k from flipkart dot com.

The product is a Wireless router with Modem built in, I know this.
I have the same question can i plug in a RJ45 cable connection and enable Wifi Sharing to use it with my Laptops, also is it possible to connect LAN enabled to access the Internet on the Desktop?

Im not looking for Router without a modem as I would be making a shift to another Service provider very soon and thought of getting this device.

Hey Guys,

I have two desktops, a couple of wi-fi cellphones and a android tablet. I access them from mtnl 410TC1 MTNL DSL modem cum router (my speed is 1mbps unlimited up/down in ISP) which is attached to a old D-LINK DIR-300 Wi-fi router. My house is a small duplex, with the desktops are upstairs and the cellphones and android tab is downstairs.

I'm getting very pathetic speed and signals on all my devices downstairs and upstairs we use the wired lan connected to the D-Link router on the desktops to stay connected.

I've always wanted to upgrade my Wi-fi router as its pathetic, not because it is. But because its a very old model thats discontinued. Over 5 or 6 years old and maybe a 2003-2004 model type.

So, I see this review now and I like that if i can get rid of my old D-LINK Wi-fi as well as this pathetic MTNL 410TC1 DSL Modem Router (has no wi-fi) , Its really not so nice for me to have wires all over my desk from the phone and the DSL modem and the lan cables from the WI-FI router, Plus i have to keep two devices on at a time, which is not reliable as a loose connection problem always happens once in while to disconnect me.

Anyways, I like this solution of TPLINK of DSL modem + Wi-Fi + Lan all in one solution.

I may be buying this from ebay.in today for 2399INR, additionally I'm also planning to buy a pair of TPLINK 300Mbps PCI wi-fi network adapters to put them on the desktops, so i can get rid of the wires.

Will this work with MTNL, Will it work to give me good ping in steam multiplayer games just like having the wired LAN connected to my router/dsl modem on Desktop WI-FI? Will it be faster than the 100Mbps wired Lan as these pci wi-fi adapters as well as Modem Router of TPLINK boast of 300Mbps, which is obviously sounding like 3 times faster than the 10/100 Mbps wired Lan.

My usual applications is the following

Stock trading - Reliability
Torrent Downloading - Bandwidth
Steam Multi-player gaming - Response time in Ping
Sharing the hard drives and data of the desktops pcs with each other via LAN - Local Area Network speed

Will all these needs be fulfilled as well as be better than what i have ?

Going to cost me about 1140INR x 2 for a pair of PCI Wi-fi TPLINK adapters for desktop and 2399INR for the TPLINK Modem + Router. Total of 4679INR.

So let me know, if theres anything i need to know before i hit the buy button on ebay.in

Thanks,
Nick

- - - Updated - - -

Your comment about DSL2750U is wrong. I have used it for about 4 months and it is a breeze to setup and absolutely no connection dropping issues.

I was opting for the same Dlink DSL 2750U model too , just because it has a USB slot which i thought can work for portable hard drive sharing or for using my backup reliance netconnect+ dongle. But the d-link website FAQ says it only works for printers after downloading some software from them and it does not support any kind of USB dongle of 3rd party except a D-link USB dongle, that too of a specific one model only.

So this TPLINK seems better to me, better design and ventilation. Plus may surely be compatible with my PCI 300Mbps TPLINK Adapaters for desktop and also it has something special called Annexture M or something that can make the upload speed of INTERNET upto 3.5 Mbps fast, or if not i may be sure it may be compatible with higher upload speeds in the future internet plans. But d-link i think is maximum of 1Mbps in upstream. So i think this TPLINk is better that way. However if network printing or storage is a necessity, now a new model is upcoming the 8968 TPLINK, I'm trying to search on Ebay for local sellers, but it seems no one listed it and may not be available, don't want to order it from USA because it's gonna take a few weeks and the price is also not as cheap, just for a USB addition that i don't really need.

Till now have suggested DSL 2750U to 5 friends. 3 of them where Dead on arrival. Imagine their quality control. The rest 2 I had problems configuring by the CD. The software could not find the router for configuration had to do it from the web interface. I am not suggesting 2750U to anybody again.

I bought this item quite recently after 4-5 days of seeing reviews,forums. I think I made a mistake.

Eventhough I changed the channel ,sometimes at 5 feet even when there is no wall, I get only three bars!!!
Barely 25 feet , with one wall, I get two bars!!!
On 2nd floor terrace, i.e. two walls, I get one bar or nothing at all.
I had also hung this on a hall, made a parabolic reflector of aluminium,changed to 802.11n and removed any mirrors. No use.

This is horrible for a wifi modem router having dual antenna.

Kindly avoid purchasing this product which costs so much!!!It is waste of money.

I bought this item quite recently after 4-5 days of seeing reviews,forums. I think I made a mistake.

Eventhough I changed the channel ,sometimes at 5 feet even when there is no wall, I get only three bars!!!
Barely 25 feet , with one wall, I get two bars!!!
On 2nd floor terrace, i.e. two walls, I get one bar or nothing at all.
I had also hung this on a hall, made a parabolic reflector of aluminium,changed to 802.11n and removed any mirrors. No use.

This is horrible for a wifi modem router having dual antenna.

Kindly avoid purchasing this product which costs so much!!!It is waste of money.
sir which one >??

Back