WTB Trade - R9 290 Tri-x with a GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakesh_ic

ex-Mod
Hi Guys,

I am looking to trade my perfectly working R9 290 Tri-x with a GTX970 (preferably a MSI gaming/ME or Gigabyte gaming G1 edition). Since my card is under warranty, I would love to have some warranty on 970 coming in :p

Not interested on the strix edition from Asus though.

Not planning to trade but just curious as to what is wrong with the strix? I have one that runs at 1460/7800 24/7 in my secondary rig since I the day I bought it. Runs really quiet and cool too. What's the drawback?

Not planning to trade but just curious as to what is wrong with the strix? I have one that runs at 1460/7800 24/7 in my secondary rig since I the day I bought it. Runs really quiet and cool too. What's the drawback?
I am worried about its life due to the strix method of not running the fan until 60 deg.
This also gives another level of thought on the air circulation within my pc (I got a closed loop CPU water cooler) as its greatly reduced since there are no other sources of air circulation for my mobo.

May be I am thinking too much, but I cant take chances :)

I am worried about its life due to the strix method of not running the fan until 60 deg.
This also gives another level of thought on the air circulation within my pc (I got a closed loop CPU water cooler) as its greatly reduced since there are no other sources of air circulation for my mobo.

May be I am thinking too much, but I cant take chances :)

Even the MSI runs fanless till 60 degrees. To be honest its not an issue - the GPU idles at 35 degrees on the desktop and when you start a game, the fans kick in almost instantly.

The max temps I've seen with those overclocks is 72 which is well within the 85 degree threshold of throttling. This is within a cramped Bitfenix Phenom M case and the top fans pointing down onto the GPU.

The CPU is liquid cooled and the fan of the radiator acts as an exhaust at the bottom. So does the fan of the PSU. However this setup is still not airflow optimal. In a better case you'll see lower temps.

There isn't much between the MSI & Asus to be honest. Here's a direct comparison

https://techreport.com/review/27203/geforce-gtx-970-cards-from-msi-and-asus-reviewed/5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back