TRAI Classifies 512 Kbps As Broadband Internet

SrkOnline

Disciple
There is some bad news for fixed line Internet users in India.Telecom Authority of India (TRAI), which is the nodal agency for everything related with telecom has taken India into the dark ages in terms of Internet access.

In their latest notification which was derived after much consultation and meetings, TRAI says, “Broadband is a data connection that is able to support interactive services including Internet access and has the capability of the minimum download speed of 512kbps to an individual subscriber..”

Cellular Operators Association of India and Association of Unified Telecom Service Providers of India, which are powerful lobbies of telecom service providers, had strongly campaigned to convince TRAI that 512 kbps would be too much for Indians, and telcos should be allowed to throttle speed below that.

Fortunately, TRAI didn’t change 512 kbps minimum speed, but neither did they increased it to 1 mbps, which was what actually needed for a fast growing country like India. Telecom operator’s pressure tactics certainly worked here, as they ensured that minimum speed doesn’t go beyond 512 kbps

https://goo.gl/PexjoJ

Is it possible BSNL again going back to 512kbps which they just upgrade to 1 mbps for all user in this year 15th Aug 2016.

Last edited:
There is some bad news for fixed line Internet users in India.Telecom Authority of India (TRAI), which is the nodal agency for everything related with telecom has taken India into the dark ages in terms of Internet access.

In their latest notification which was derived after much consultation and meetings, TRAI says, “Broadband is a data connection that is able to support interactive services including Internet access and has the capability of the minimum download speed of 512kbps to an individual subscriber..”

Cellular Operators Association of India and Association of Unified Telecom Service Providers of India, which are powerful lobbies of telecom service providers, had strongly campaigned to convince TRAI that 512 kbps would be too much for Indians, and telcos should be allowed to throttle speed below that.

Fortunately, TRAI didn’t change 512 kbps minimum speed, but neither did they increased it to 1 mbps, which was what actually needed for a fast growing country like India. Telecom operator’s pressure tactics certainly worked here, as they ensured that minimum speed doesn’t go beyond 512 kbps

https://goo.gl/PexjoJ

no body needs more than 512kbps ...... but we definitely need a "bullet train" ......... by the way don't buy Chinese products and Bharat mata ki jai.

IINM, trai was really formed to protect bsnl and the coai's job is to protect other operators. No one is really looking at the interests of the consumer here. and it may seem to some that jio is pro-consumer, and in a sense the competition is shaking things up, but they're one of the biggest companies in india and whatever benefits may seem to be stemming from their trial offers in the short term, they will obviously be looking at their own bottom lines. in short, what i'm trying to say is trai could have been a govt regulatory body which functions in the interests of fair competition and consumer interest, but they have been failing and will keep doing so...

^this

i get unlimited 2mbps for 499/month and download about 250-300gb. 4mbps is Rs. 650. I don't see anything matching the price/performance/cap ratio. not even jio fiber etc

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just great. Tell them to ************ with that minimum speed. In today's HD content thriving Internet age, TRAI needs a huge wake up call to revise the definition of minimum broadband. If it weren't for Local cable's Fiber connections, I'd be screwed at these speeds and with Airtel's FUP.

Last edited by a moderator:
so blazing
very fast
much hd
Jesus Christ man, I have been hearing about this since last decade. 128 -> 256 -> 512, looks like TRAI wakes up every 4-5 years, doubles the speed, pat themselves on the back and go back to sleep.

^this

i get unlimited 2mbps for 499/month and download about 250-300gb. 4mbps is Rs. 650. I don't see anything matching the price/performance/cap ratio. not even jio fiber etc

Its been an year since I've moved away from reputed cos Broadband plans. D-Vois has sure hit a sweetspot with me.

I'm on their 10Mbps plans & the speeds that it gives as a standard is full 10Mbps sometimes it even touches up till 70Mbps on torrents & YouTube with 3 simultaneous 1080p streams.

Further these guys are reducing the prices even more. I've paid 12k for 15 months, Now they have made it ₹7500/- for 12 months. I expect to reduce the prices even more at my time of renewal of the plan.

Its been an year since I've moved away from reputed cos Broadband plans. D-Vois has sure hit a sweetspot with me.

I'm on their 10Mbps plans & the speeds that it gives as a standard is full 10Mbps sometimes it even touches up till 70Mbps on torrents & YouTube with 3 simultaneous 1080p streams.

Further these guys are reducing the prices even more. I've paid 12k for 15 months, Now they have made it ₹7500/- for 12 months. I expect to reduce the prices even more at my time of renewal of the plan.
To which broadband you have subscribed?

I tried upgrading from 2mbps to 4mbps once and found i just wasn't using it enough. same 250-300gb/month. decided to stick with 2m from then on. The 'boosted' speeds on google services and torrents are like 8mB/s on even the 2m connection so anything above that is just wasted for me. Only issue with getting a long validity pack is they keep reducing the rates of the monthly packs! which means you're stuck with the old rate till it's over.

yeah it really sux for people without access to local isps

Back