Storage Solutions Transcend portable hdd vs. rest

kritarth

Disciple
Hi

I have a dilemma here. I wanted a 500GB portable hdd. So I checked out reviews and liked the Adata NH92 which is apparently extremely and well-performing.
reviews - A-DATA NH92 External Hard Drive Review
and Techtree.com India > Reviews > Basics > Hard Disks > A-Data NH92 320GB [Review]

However it is not available in Bangalore and I got CH91 which I didn't like as much.

I had seen some issues with Seagate warranty honoring here or elsewhere so was sceptical about that. Shopkeeper said Seagate takes a month to replace drives and such and said there would be issues in getting warranty exercised.

He also said that Transcend is a very good option and can be replaced very fast in like 5 days or so in case of issues. Although I didn't like the Transcend storejet 25 design as it is a bit larger, it apparently is very rugged with MIL compliance and all. It also has good CNET review here - Transcend StoreJet 25 Mobile (320GB, red) Laptop Hard Drive reviews - CNET Reviews

Now I have the Sorejet with me but I can return it as I have not opened it yet.

As Adata is not much of an option and WD is similar to Seagate with lesser warranty, the choice is between Freeagent Go 500GB (5yrs warranty) and Transcend SJ25M (2 or 3 yrs warranty not sure - box says 2 yrs as I checked now, shopkeeper had said 3 yrs)

Please let me know your recommendation ...

Seagate might take time to honor warranties but i haven't seen them failing much and are more reliable, so i would stick to it.

kritarth said:
Hi

I have a dilemma here. I wanted a 500GB portable hdd. So I checked out reviews and liked the Adata NH92 which is apparently extremely and well-performing.

and Techtree.com India > Reviews > Basics > Hard Disks > A-Data NH92 320GB [Review]

However it is not available in Bangalore and I got CH91 which I didn't like as much.

I had seen some issues with Seagate warranty honoring here or elsewhere so was sceptical about that. Shopkeeper said Seagate takes a month to replace drives and such and said there would be issues in getting warranty exercised.

He also said that Transcend is a very good option and can be replaced very fast in like 5 days or so in case of issues. Although I didn't like the Transcend storejet 25 design as it is a bit larger, it apparently is very rugged with MIL compliance and all. It also has good CNET review here - Transcend StoreJet 25 Mobile (320GB, red) Laptop Hard Drive reviews - CNET Reviews

As Adata is not much of an option and WD is similar to Seagate with lesser warranty, the choice is between Freeagent Go 500GB (5yrs warranty) and Transcend SJ25M (2 or 3 yrs warranty not sure - box says 2 yrs as I checked now, shopkeeper had said 3 yrs)

well, transcend has a dealer based warranty. so in case you move out of town, you willl need to ship back to the guy from whom you bought. add to that usually i have seen transcend with only 2 years warranty. if you really trust the dealer and dont plan to move from the city, keep it, else i would suggest get the seagate freeagent

I would suggest WD passport. 3 yrs warranty and very reliable.

Have one for nearly a year and no issues wat so ever. Good performer and very good looking too.

Karthi007 said:
I would suggest WD passport. 3 yrs warranty and very reliable.
Have one for nearly a year and no issues wat so ever. Good performer and very good looking too.

Hey, WD my passport also doesn't seem to be available here, something by the name of WD elements was available which again I had not heard of but seemed like the same 2.5 inch drive ...

mediahome.in said:
^ wrong transcend no more has a dealer based warranty all warranty is now by accel frontline

the length of the warranty is lesser issue and two years might just be ok i guess. The lack of all india warranty (and only dealer based warranty) would have been a deal breaker. Checked accel frontline site, and it seems like a reasonable solution.

In this case, if the warranty issue is resolved, it seems to me that given its ruggedness (3 stage shock protection n all) , transcend might actually be worth keeping ?

I've been using the 250GB storejet 25 for months. And I'm really happy with it. Good speed and moreover the best part is that its really rugged. It fell 4-5 times from about 3-4.5ft and yet nothing happened. It looks good too. Mine one has probably 3yrs of warranty. :)

kritarth said:
Hey, WD my passport also doesn't seem to be available here, something by the name of WD elements was available which again I had not heard of but seemed like the same 2.5 inch drive ...

the length of the warranty is lesser issue and two years might just be ok i guess. The lack of all india warranty (and only dealer based warranty) would have been a deal breaker. Checked accel frontline site, and it seems like a reasonable solution.

In this case, if the warranty issue is resolved, it seems to me that given its ruggedness (3 stage shock protection n all) , transcend might actually be worth keeping ?

well, in case both seagate and transcend are both serviced by accel frontline, then wont it be a better idea to go for seagate just bcoz of the two additional years of warranty.

and could someone confirm if accel requires bill for transcend hdds ? i have a 1 year old disk with me bought in kolkata. now am in pune and it is dead since last six months coz nobody is ready to accept it for RMA and i have not made the effort to ship it back to the dealer. will visit accel in the weekend and check, but still if anyone could confirm the info then it would be great

If you are looking for a rugged HDD, transcend all the way. Otherwise I would say WD or Buffalo. I have been using one and its read and write speeds are awesome. Upto 35Mb write speed and 68Mb read speed. Warranty of 3 years from Accel Frontline

Dude check out this poll, 28 persons have voted, this will definitely give you an idea of wats best available in the market
http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/which-is-best-external-portable-hdd-153383.html
kritarth said:
Hi

Hi

First of all, thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions, they really helped me a lot. I have opened the Transcend drive and it is quite nice :) The build does seem solid. The read and write speeds I'm getting are 32 MBps and 24 MBps respectively.

I pondered the issue of getting lesser years of warranty but thought I'd check out the ruggedness and one touch backup stuff that is being touted for this drive.

Again, thanks, and I'll definitely stick around and post more around here, although till now I was more of a silent observer to this forum.

Oh and in two years time, we'll anyway have SDHC cards and perhaps USB 3.0 portable SSD drives to play with I guess :)

Back