Transfer electricity bill name from builder to owner - Mumbai

Futureized

Skilled
What is procedure for name transfer on electricity bill from Builder to flat owner in residential housing society ?
(Bought 10 years ago, original owner was investor, did not change the ownership of electricity bill to his name).

What all documents are required ?
Is this doable online ?
How long does the process takes ?

An NOC from the builder or from society (if society is formed), name change on share certificate, Sale Agreement and Index II copy, name change on municipal tax receipt. Once all this is completed only then you can get name changed on electricity bill.

Procedure might be slightly diff. across cities.

I'm in same shoes since 8 months. But my issue is society is yet to conduct an AGM only after which the share certificate name gets affixed and only then the municipal tax name then and finally electricity bill..

Last edited:
Is it doable online - Yes & No (Depending on your power company)
Documents Required - It will depend on the power supplier Reliance/Tata/BSES

I have a Reliance connection at home, flat was purchased from the builder.

They ask for the following documents
-Sale Agreement Index II page copy showing buyers & sellers name alongwith their PAN Numbers
-Aadhar of buyer
-PAN of Buyer
-Some form which has to be filled requesting ownership transfer
-Share certificate (I am not really sure if it is required, but we had it in hand)
Complete process was done online

Since in your case the flat was purchased by someone else prior, the electricity company may ask for an agreement copy between the builder & previous owner so as to establish chain of ownership transfer.

It'll depend on your power supplier, their internal process and how efficient or lazy the employees are. I stay in Mumbai and the process was totally online & hassle free, the complete transfer was done on a week or so & I got a nice email about it stating new owners name will be embossed in gold on the electric bill & dropped in your letterbox from the next billing cycle.

A side note : The investor should have transferred the electricity bill in his name, would have made your life much much easier. Give your power company a call, they'll guide you better, but those documents are the basic things you'll need.

This is my Electricity Provider name change link: https://www.adanielectricity.com/change-name-on-bill
Is anything else required apart from this ?

An NOC from the builder or from society (if society is formed), name change on share certificate, Sale Agreement and Index II copy, name change on municipal tax receipt. Once all this is completed only then you can get name changed on electricity bill.
1. NOC for society. (DONE)
2. Name change on share certificate. (DONE)
3. Sale Agreement and Index II copy. (DONE)
4. Name change on municipal tax receipt. (What is this ? )
They ask for the following documents
-Sale Agreement Index II page copy showing buyers & sellers name alongwith their PAN Numbers
-Aadhar of buyer
-PAN of Buyer
-Some form which has to be filled requesting ownership transfer
-Share certificate (I am not really sure if it is required, but we had it in hand)
Complete process was done online

Since in your case the flat was purchased by someone else prior, the electricity company may ask for an agreement copy between the builder & previous owner so as to establish chain of ownership transfer.
(dont have Pan number of seller, it was 10 years old process and cannot connect with buyer now, they have shifted to Europe after selling flat)
- Adhar of buyer (I understand this is myself, So got this)
-Some form which has to be filled requesting ownership transfer (I have a 4 page form from Adani which requires lot of details)
-Share certificate I am not really sure if it is required, but we had it in hand (DONE)
- Since in your case the flat was purchased by someone else prior, the electricity company may ask for an agreement copy between the builder & previous owner so as to establish chain of ownership transfer. (Dont have this)

4. Name change on municipal tax receipt. (What is this ? )
Property tax paid to city/town municipal on yearly basis, levied by a government on a person's real or personal property.
The receipt or invoice generated on property holders name...so this name I'm referring to.
For new property, builders name is affixed by default while on resale property, ex-owners name, unless you get it changed.
I'm stuck here for months now as my shit society isnt puuting my name on share cert. giving excuses of AGM which god knows when is going to conduct!

While filling online application to change electricity name, they are asking to provide ID proof of NOC issuer. Adhar, pan, passport, driving license or election card. (required to proceed ahead) Any idea about same, or who will provide this details? Building chairman, secretary (never heard/read about this new clause)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-10-13 at 18.57.29_37098434.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-13 at 18.57.29_37098434.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 15
While filling online application to change electricity name, they are asking to provide ID proof of NOC issuer. Adhar, pan, passport, driving license or election card. (required to proceed ahead) Any idea about same, or who will provide this details? Building chairman, secretary (never heard/read about this new clause)
Society NOC is required your aadhar, and a form from the electricity board. This is all I was asked for last yr.

1. NOC for society. (DONE)
how did you get it? written letter or just asked by mouth? my society asked me to write a letter and i have no idea what to write in it. Do i write please give me NOC for electicity meter change or have to write some big paragraph about buying my house etc?

how did you get it? written letter or just asked by mouth? my society asked me to write a letter and i have no idea what to write in it. Do i write please give me NOC for electicity meter change or have to write some big paragraph about buying my house etc?
Write a letter means write a formal application to the society for the purpose you require the noc for and submit in the society office.
They then issue and noc for the said purpose. I required 3 such separate nocs for 3 diff. purposes/name changes etc.

Last edited:
Society issued NOC on request.

Back