Windows Transferring windows to SDD from Laptop HDD without a Sata to USB adaptor or Dock

Arjun

Skilled
I want to replace the HDD in my Laptop to a SSD, is there any way to transfer the files and windows without using the adaptor, i dont want to buy and adaptor/dock for a one time use. Can i create and image then attach the SSD to my desktop and restore image, will this work?

Yes image restore software can
I want to replace the HDD in my Laptop to a SSD, is there any way to transfer the files and windows without using the adaptor, i dont want to buy and adaptor/dock for a one time use. Can i create and image then attach the SSD to my desktop and restore image, will this work?
work. Even some ssd manufacturers provide those software with the ssd like Samsung does.

I use an old Ghost 2003 to periodically make backup images of my two OS partitions. Thing is I'm running my drives in legacy SATA mode, not the UEFI/AHCI. Does anyone know if the old dos based Ghost will work or even see drives in the newer modes?

@nRiTeCh ?

What are good modern imaging utilities? The no-nonsense types like Ghost. Not the frilly fancy looking novice consumer oriented ones.

@Arjun
When I moved/Cloned my HDD to SSD I used Aomei backupper tool, free, simply and works just perfect! But yeah I did had my ssd plugged to my pc then.
For offline you can try the almighty decade king Norton ghost but I cannot comment if it works fine within Win10 as in other OS it does gives some locking warning before dumping the entire OS partition.

Or you can create a Ghost bootable pendrive, boot into ghost, dump the partition (will be super clean method), reboot, swipe your ssd, boot with same pendrive, restore the ghost image. Pretty simple hassle free!
Once done you can also verify/check for the integrity of the data written on ssd within ghost itself.

I want to create a image of the windows partition, transfer the image over lan to the desktop then attach SSD to desktop and restore the image, for this i do not think a bootable media is required. The issue is i cant connect both SSD and Hdd to the laptop at the same time.

You could use Clonezilla to take an image of your Windows partition on the HDD, use the destination directory as the LAN. Then you swap the HDD with the SSD, run the software again and restore the image.

Back