Tricky questions + learning C / C ++ books and all

guys suggest me some good c / c++ books / ebooks (free/paid) which contain good basic and advanced info on these .

they should have great c / c ++ tricky questions too , you know what i mean ..(like c/c++ aptitude questions)

some good basic questions will clear your concepts ..

also some good info to clear my knowledge and improve my knowledge in it ..

guys i asked you because you have experience which books are good and which are not ,

dont tell me to Google it , i want answers from experienced people ..

Thanks a lot !!

What's your background/age/expertise? "Let us C/C++" by Yashwant kanetkar was referred a lot as a begining guide when I was in college.

I would recommend that you avoid any Yashwant kanetkar books if you are serious about programming and keen on imbibing good programming practices. Books by Herbert Schildt and Bjarne Stroustrup are recommended for getting the basics right. Other than that Effective C++, Exceptional C++ and More Exceptional C++ are the books you should look at. You will also find a number of resources on the internet with regard to programming puzzles, but reading a book for such puzzles defeats the whole purpose of those puzzles. If you have a good programming and Algorithms background, you should just look at various ways to solve them on your own instead of going through the solutions.

There are also a few books under the title Data Structures and Algorithms Made easy: Data Structures and Algorithm puzzles (C++ and Java versions) which supposedly helps Engineering grad's crack programming puzzles asked in job interviews. I haven't read the book myself, but I would not recommend it as I happened to have interviewed its author recently and I found him rather disappointing.

Thank you Lord Nemesis
<

It also helped me answer some of my questions
<

I recommend the 'Complete reference to C++' over other books.

It got all the topics covered in detail with enough examples.

And for tricky questions - I bought "Test your C++ skills". Well, its not so tricky but helps in revision.
<

Apart from what Lord Nemisis suggested

Thinking in C++ is pretty good. Try Effective STL , it's always good to have a handle on it. Might want to start looking into boost library as well , used extensively in the industry..

Purely Q&A types... try - C++ Cookbook; but expect nothing great out of it....read up C++ FAQ too! If you feel like it , dabble into design patterns.

Cheers!

There are also a few books under the title Data Structures and Algorithms Made easy: Data Structures and Algorithm puzzles (C++ and Java versions) which supposedly helps Engineering grad's crack programming puzzles asked in job interviews. I haven't read the book myself, but I would not recommend it as I happened to have interviewed its author recently and I found him rather disappointing.

Can you tell me why you were disappointing ?

Actually there's nothing wrong with such books. It all depends on how one make use of it. Everyone crams the puzzles & answers, rather than solving them
<

The basic premise of those books is supposedly that a reader easily understands DS and Algorithms be able to apply those to solve programming problems. When I interviewed the author of the books in question for a job at our company, I found him seriously lacking in both C/C++ programming fundamentals as well as problem solving skills. As I said, I didn't go though the book at all, but having interviewed the author and seeing his skills and knowledge in action, I cannot really recommend anyone to rely on a book authored by him. Afterward when I checked out the reviews of the book on Amazon, I found that there were quite a few negative reviews claiming that the approaches/solutions provided in the book were bad and it does make sense to me. Any one reading it as a guide would only be degrading their own problem solving skills.

From an interview perspective, many companies assume freshers to be dummies and so test for problem solving skills primarily, and place technical skills on secondary level. So you might want to read up on puzzle solving books. (I'm assuming you're a fresher. This would be a strange question from an experienced guy).

For C++, to get a good grasp on the basics, do go through the C++ FAQ. Its available online but is missing some questions; the paper book has all of the questions & answers. The C FAQ will also be very useful.

Once you have understood the FAQ's, then for C, I think "Deep C Secrets" by Paul V. is good in covering practical issues when using C.

For C++, "Effective C++" & "More Effective C++" by Scott Meyers similarly covers many practical issues.

For a somewhat language independent perspective on practical issues, I would recommend 2 more books. "The practise of programming" by Rob Pike, and "Programming Pearls" by Jon Bentley.

If you are able to cover these books, and understand the material, you'll be way ahead of your peers technically.

you want really tricky c and c++; then find someone from CDAC and do their assignments. usually they made us solve few hundred questions each with options.

The best C++ book i ever read in my life was "How to program C++" from Deitel. Hope this helps. It has numerous examples, and huge topics explained in simple way.

Back