Audio True Wireless (TWS) Earphones / Earbuds - What is your opinion about them?

Calls? Don't even think about 1000XM3!! You may get QC35 or pxc550 used in your budget.
Point taken :)
Both these are pretty good really. I wanted to get something in a smaller form factor. But if no tws comes close to these, then it doesnt make sense to spend anything. The pxc 550ii is mine, the qc35 is my brother’s. Coincidentally, I was testing both today and saw your comment now :)

CDBB1A09-E2AE-4B61-A82E-0EDFF6BEDF25.jpeg

The pxc550 ii I have got no silver trims. Did you make the trim yourself? Good job!!
Thats just the reflection from the overhead light source. I have zero skills for any hand related craft. Only envy those who have some skills. Tried to repair the padding for my 599se and completely botched it up.

I use the OnePlus Wireless Bullets 2.
The neckband keeps them secure.
They support AptxHD and I'm streaming from Tidal.
The sound is exceptional.

They never really took off and it's unfortunate OnePlus stopped them and went back to some more budget options instead.

Soundguys did an excellent review of them

I've tried TWS solutions till date and they're always a compromise. I also don't believe in spending more than 10k on headphones that do not have replaceable batteries because their life is rather limited.

If you're using SBC codec, you could spend 25k and still have a crap sound.

Also I like being able to drop my earphones and let them hang. Get them when I need them and they come with a way bigger battery, better mic than TWS options.

So the appeal of TWS is more a look at me rather than anything else. They aren't there yet for me to switch.

I am torn about TWS, maybe it is just my experience but I would love to hear about the experience of others.

I was using Anker Liberty Air 2 (link), I was never really able to make them fit snuggly and they would often pop out of my ear on their own. I tried changing the tips, to no avail. Soon the Right earpiece started discharging quicker and would not hold a full charge. I sent them to Anker for RMA and they replaced it with another model - Anker Life Dot 2 with ANC (Link). Since these had wings in them, they fit in much better and were quite secure. Except for the occasional drops, they were quite a good fit.

BUT, sadly I started facing the exact same issue with the replaced/new pair. The right earbud started discharging faster than the left one. I have again sent them for RMA and this time Anker is offering me a refund. I have opted to go in for a refund, though initially, I was thinking of asking for an upgrade.

I wanted to know whether this is a recurring issue that others have faced with TWS? Anker products were of great quality, but sadly the battery issue ruined the experience.

Now I am torn between whether I should buy a TWS or go for Bluetooth earbuds (with a wire connecting). I am inclined towards the Airpods 2nd Gen since I primarily use Apple products (iPhone, MacBook, iPad, Mac). Or is that money better spent elsewhere?

I own a pair of Beats Solo Pro, but I cannot keep them on for a prolonged period of time since the headband is very rigid (it's metal and doesn't stretch). And since Beats is an Apple product, it allows me to switch devices very conveniently.

My budget is about ~7-8k and I can get the AirPods 2 from the US for about ~$100. The device switching is convenient but it is not essential since I'll always have the Beats for that.

Primary usage: Calls, Podcasts, Gaming, and Music whilst wearing them for brisk walking/jogging.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
I am torn about TWS, maybe it is just my experience but I would love to hear about the experience of others.

I was using Anker Liberty Air 2 (link), I was never really able to make them fit snuggly and they would often pop out of my ear on their own. I tried changing the tips, to no avail. Soon the Right earpiece started discharging quicker and would not hold a full charge. I sent them to Anker for RMA and they replaced it with another model - Anker Life Dot 2 with ANC (Link). Since these had wings in them, they fit in much better and were quite secure. Except for the occasional drops, they were quite a good fit.

BUT, sadly I started facing the exact same issue with the replaced/new pair. The right earbud started discharging faster than the left one. I have again sent them for RMA and this time Anker is offering me a refund. I have opted to go in for a refund, though initially, I was thinking of asking for an upgrade.

I wanted to know whether this is a recurring issue that others have faced with TWS? Anker products were of great quality, but sadly the battery issue ruined the experience.

Now I am torn between whether I should buy a TWS or go for Bluetooth earbuds (with a wire connecting). I am inclined towards the Airpods 2nd Gen since I primarily use Apple products (iPhone, MacBook, iPad, Mac). Or is that money better spent elsewhere?

I own a pair of Beats Solo Pro, but I cannot keep them on for a prolonged period of time since the headband is very rigid (it's metal and doesn't stretch). And since Beats is an Apple product, it allows me to switch devices very conveniently.

My budget is about ~7-8k and I can get the AirPods 2 from the US for about ~$100. The device switching is convenient but it is not essential since I'll always have the Beats for that.

Primary usage: Calls, Podcasts, Gaming, and Music whilst wearing them for brisk walking/jogging.

Any help would be much appreciated!
What you experienced is generally what happens with any wireless earphones/headphones. TWS and BT neckbands are the worst offenders because they're almost impossible to repair and have an usage life of maximum two years. Wireless headphones are still better in terms of repairability, but they all fall into the same category - creating more e-waste and harm the environment.

If you want my honest suggestion, I would highly suggest getting wired IEMs. You'll get a magnificent, premium pair of IEMs around $100.

However, if you still want wireless options, would suggest taking a look at the Sony WF-C500 or the Samsung Galaxy Buds Live. Both are under $100.

I was using Anker Liberty Air 2 (link), I was never really able to make them fit snuggly and they would often pop out of my ear on their own. I tried changing the tips, to no avail.

My wife was using Anker LifeNote and I took observed the same issue about fit. No matter what tips you try (and they actually give lots of different sized tips) they just don't feel "fit" in ear. I always would feel they are very loose and can fall anytime.
Now my wife uses Jabra 65t and she is happy and more so for the hear through feature. I personally use Jabra 75t.

If calls (voIP or traditional) are important to you, just get the Airpods 2 without a second consideration.
The SQ is on the flatter side so it may seem a little unappealing vs other options in a similar price range - but the call quality (for the caller) is significantly (and i mean it by a wide margin) superior to anything else in a similar price range

What you experienced is generally what happens with any wireless earphones/headphones. TWS and BT neckbands are the worst offenders because they're almost impossible to repair and have an usage life of maximum two years. Wireless headphones are still better in terms of repairability, but they all fall into the same category - creating more e-waste and harm the environment.

If you want my honest suggestion, I would highly suggest getting wired IEMs. You'll get a magnificent, premium pair of IEMs around $100.

However, if you still want wireless options, would suggest taking a look at the Sony WF-C500 or the Samsung Galaxy Buds Live. Both are under $100.
Thanks for the elaborate reply. You made a very pertinent point about the inability to get these devices repaired, there just isn't any room for it. Smartwatches suffer from the same issue and e-waste generated from these devices is a big issue.

I often go for jogs and the wired ones would be an impediment. I could make it work, but I'd rather have that freedom of movement.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am strongly leaning towards Sony WF-C500, they seem to be a balanced and promising pair.
My wife was using Anker LifeNote and I took observed the same issue about fit. No matter what tips you try (and they actually give lots of different sized tips) they just don't feel "fit" in ear. I always would feel they are very loose and can fall anytime.
Now my wife uses Jabra 65t and she is happy and more so for the hear through feature. I personally use Jabra 75t.
It was really frustrating. Liberty Air 2' cost ~7k and for the life of me they would randomly pop out of my ear and fall down.

Thanks for Jabra's recommendation. I remember they used to be a popular brand for BT headsets back in the day. Their offerings seem to be above my price range, but maybe I can get them from the US at a better price. Though claiming warranty would be an issue.
If calls (voIP or traditional) are important to you, just get the Airpods 2 without a second consideration.
The SQ is on the flatter side so it may seem a little unappealing vs other options in a similar price range - but the call quality (for the caller) is significantly (and i mean it by a wide margin) superior to anything else in a similar price range
I personally do not mind the Apple earpods SQ. I've always liked the sound on their wired earpods and the form factor is to my liking. I think I've lost the patience to hold the phone, my instinct is to reach out to my earphones as soon as I know I'll be on a call for more than a few minutes.

The Airpods seem to be a good contender along with the Sony WF-C500.

Any other worthy recommendations guys? TIA!

I feel TWS and Bluetooth based headphones / earphones are heavily reliant on the kind of battery you have in them. And given their price, I simply cannot justify them. Wired pairs last longer, sound better, and offer more control. Bluetooth codecs do exist that specialize in high quality sound, but the devices using them are very expensive, use a lot of battery for processing and pretty sure you can get a good pair of wired headphones / earphones for that kind of money that can offer much better sound quality. I have tried Bose QC 3's and Sony XM4s, but given how much they cost, my cheap ass can never justify the price. Only thing I like about them is the convenience they offer over a wired pair, but then the downside being that they need to be charged, and batteries being batteries, degrade over time. I know I sound like an old person, but honestly I feel that the technology isn't just there yet. Battery technology as well and Bluetooth / a totally new protocol need to be improved quite a bit. It'll be there eventually, but it just isn't there yet.

I use both the WH XM4s (Headphones) and the WF XM4s (TWS). Tbh for 90% of the time I use the WH XM4s cause that's all I need. That one has really impressed me in terms of what I needed from it. Because I was really impressed with WH, I went and got the WF ones as soon as they released this year in India. Other than the occasional use of it in the gym and maybe when I go outside for something, the TWS just stays in the drawer. I guess what am trying to say is the convenience factor of it depends person to person. For me its kinda meh.

Back