Trying to make a job switch, confused on how to proceed.

Wittycomment

Disciple
Shortly summarizing current situation

Tier 3 grad in WITCH like company with not good pay. I have a year's experience in data engineering. I worked in two different projects in each of the projects i had individual Stories assigned to me which i developed and gave demo for.

I primarily worked with azure data factory, Azure synapse and azure databricks. I preferred working with payspark and databricks but was assigned to data factory later.

I have completed two azure certifications. Az - 900, DP -900, currently preparing for dp - 203, will complete it this week hopefully.

I worked witha great team and good seniors. I learned a lot throughout my time but now i feel like i am learned enough and want to switch because the pay was not good there. The work i could complete in few hours i used to stretch it over for weeks.

I am worried am i ready, do i have all the skills required because idk what else is asked in de interviews. What is the level of skillet is required. The notice period is of 3 months that's one more thing i have to worry about.

I only have one year of experience in total. Should i just focus on de jobs or other roles too?

All sorts of criticism is welcome, even roasts. Also I'd highly appreciate any tips regarding getting jobs, places to apply and referrals in DE or making my chances better of escaping this shit hole. Thanks.

> I only have one year of experience in total. Should i just focus on de jobs or other roles too?

Honestly, that's a question you should answer yourself. Do you like it enough to do it a long time?

As far as I know, even DE roles pay well so if a pay bump is your primary concern, then DE roles should not be a problem. We don't have any DE roles open as far as I know, but if you would like to try out general SDE roles, feel free to PM. Most interviews will be medium leetcode levels.

If you want to shift , NOW is the best time.

Check sites like geeksforgeeks and such and see what sort of questions are asked for DE roles.
Prepare for couple of weeks, you will get to know how weak/strong you are in the subject
List down few companies which have roles related to your domain.
Apply to your least preferred companies and try to get interview call.
Here, you will know your capability. Interview is not just question and answer session. You need to present it well too.

Forget about notice period now. If you get any call from recruiter, tell them "2months but can be managed".
Also, if recruiter asks about shift just after 1yr exp, tell them that you need more challenging work and more responsibilities. You can tell this line even after 10years. Everybody knows its BS and its just a mony game :cool:

My info on this is a bit old. Generally established companies will consider only 2+ years as a lateral hire
That being said the market now is crazy. The best place to get feedback is to start looking for jobs and applying for them. You'll be able to figure out where you stand pretty quickly.

> I only have one year of experience in total. Should i just focus on de jobs or other roles too?

Honestly, that's a question you should answer yourself. Do you like it enough to do it a long time?

As far as I know, even DE roles pay well so if a pay bump is your primary concern, then DE roles should not be a problem. We don't have any DE roles open as far as I know, but if you would like to try out general SDE roles, feel free to PM. Most interviews will be medium leetcode levels.

I think i enjoy de, i can see a path and the things associated with it.

I think at the moment pay bump is what i am looking at.

Regarding the sde role. I will reach out to in DM.

Thanks for the response.

If you want to shift , NOW is the best time.

Check sites like geeksforgeeks and such and see what sort of questions are asked for DE roles.
Prepare for couple of weeks, you will get to know how weak/strong you are in the subject
List down few companies which have roles related to your domain.
Apply to your least preferred companies and try to get interview call.
Here, you will know your capability. Interview is not just question and answer session. You need to present it well too.

Forget about notice period now. If you get any call from recruiter, tell them "2months but can be managed".
Also, if recruiter asks about shift just after 1yr exp, tell them that you need more challenging work and more responsibilities. You can tell this line even after 10years. Everybody knows its BS and its just a mony game :cool:

Thanks this seems like a good way to go.
At the moment i am trying to reach out my LinkedIn connections and asking about the roles and referrals.

As for preparation i am preparing for the azure data engineer certification.

I tried asking some advice from my senior he said you should wait one more year, because 2 years give a good package and than it got awkward so i cut the call.

I just got into the same project again with a long allocation, i am working on the same level as my seniors and they try to give me more work than they do.

It pisses me off that i work the same as they do but i get paid shit compared to them.

My info on this is a bit old. Generally established companies will consider only 2+ years as a lateral hire
That being said the market now is crazy. The best place to get feedback is to start looking for jobs and applying for them. You'll be able to figure out where you stand pretty quickly.
Thanks that's what my senior said.

But i still started looking for jobs, just to get an idea how things our done outside of my organisation.

It pisses me off that i work the same as they do but i get paid shit compared to them.
Don't not the specifics of your job, but generally as you get more senior, odds are that most people will be forced to work less and less on actual technical stuff and more on other random junk like making reports for management, following up with people to make sure they take their trainings, doing code reviews, mentoring, solving people issues... its a long list. So don't just hate them because they are doing the same amount of technical work as you do for more pay. That's just one of the metrics.

Despite the name, the work in most IT companies involves very little actual Technology stuff. Its mostly processes and management :D The tech stuff is usually left to the freshers so that they don't get demotivated :p

Don't not the specifics of your job, but generally as you get more senior, odds are that most people will be forced to work less and less on actual technical stuff and more on other random junk like making reports for management, following up with people to make sure they take their trainings, doing code reviews, mentoring, solving people issues... its a long list. So don't just hate them because they are doing the same amount of technical work as you do for more pay. That's just one of the metrics.

Despite the name, the work in most IT companies involves very little actual Technology stuff. Its mostly processes and management :D The tech stuff is usually left to the freshers so that they don't get demotivated :p
Well you are trying to make the bad guys look acceptable. /s

I understand that stuff, but i know one of my seniors is not doing anything he just joined, he takes easy Stories for himself and passes on which require a little more work too me.

Yes, there is a lot of dead weight in most companies. But you're missing a more important point here. In most companies, actual hard work and talent and skills pay less than the ability to cook up believable excuses on the fly, picking the right asses and then kissing them, stealing credit from others and blowing ones own horn. At the start you may think that you are a better person than they are. And you are right. You are a better person than them in front of God and your conscience.

Your boss, clients and management will probably differ. You'll need to decide whether you took a job to earn money or to hold your head high. And it's not necessarily a binary choice. You have lots of options to decide where you want to fall in the spectrum. Yes job hopping helps somewhat but from my experience, dark triad traits will take you higher up and faster than anything else

Yes, there is a lot of dead weight in most companies. But you're missing a more important point here. In most companies, actual hard work and talent and skills pay less than the ability to cook up believable excuses on the fly, picking the right asses and then kissing them, stealing credit from others and blowing ones own horn. At the start you may think that you are a better person than they are. And you are right. You are a better person than them in front of God and your conscience.

Your boss, clients and management will probably differ. You'll need to decide whether you took a job to earn money or to hold your head high. And it's not necessarily a binary choice. You have lots of options to decide where you want to fall in the spectrum. Yes job hopping helps somewhat but from my experience, dark triad traits will take you higher up and faster than anything else
You are teaching me the dark art of corporate. Well thanks for all this.
I can see you are the master of this art though.

I wish I had read this 20y years ago.

*altering title to a more apt version.

Back