Turntable buying advice

bookoon

Disciple
Hi Folks

I was more of a "cassette" era teenager, but some of the songs I had heard were on an LP (Vinyl is what is the Fad word is now). My 60 CD changer --- Sony is reaching its end of life (can't let it go.. gave it for repair/ services a couple of days back.. much to the reluctance of the Sony service guys :p). My Onkyo HT system with TX-SR307 is still going strong; but the sub-woofer is giving Hic-ups.:nailbiting:

After all the grim description lets come to back to the point. I need your help in selecting a good quality turntable. The ones that doesn’t damage the vineyl ... doesn't damage my pocket either. It would be an added advantage if it has cassette player built -in; I still got about 600 of them.

In most probability I would be connecting this to my existing Onkyo; will upgrade that down the line (Pl let me have that 55inch 4K first :happy:

One of the first songs I ever heard on an LP was "Good Vibrations" by the Beach boys...can't get that off my memory…..

Aahhh: Budget... what about 15 to 20k? I am not sure about the prices.:bag:

Thanks. What kind of budget should i target then?
any idea where I can look for a used one?
Hifivision/hifiads would be reasonable sources in india. There are also the odd ones that pop up on quickr/olx though its best to check the tables out before you pay on those.

A decent entry level turntable such as a project debut carbon or rega rp1 will cost roughly around 35-40k. However you'd need a decent phono preamp as well to get the best out of these.

I personally started off with an entry level preowned technics and once I was sure Vinyl was my thing, got a decent Clearaudio. Also remember that vinyl is quite expensive to get into. Records that sound good will cost at least 2k each and you'll have to clean and take care of the records.

Back