Monitors TV tuner card/box for 24" LCD

BIKeINSTEIN

Skilled
Thread recycled. :D

Now i need an external TV Tuner,
that will allow a LCD monitor to be used as a TV without requiring a pc/laptop. :)
I mean someone wants to use just the existing 24" LCD monitor as TV. :p
Is that possible?

Please suggest any TV tuner boxes that allow this- just for TV viewing- no recording, etc required. :)

I need a TV tuner for a friend who needs a personal TV for his room.
He already has a Dell E248 (1920x1200 iirc) and may add another 24" LCD, say a G2420 (1920x1080) or something to the setup.
Plus he doesn't need a big screen for TV and prefers the higher warranty cover on the LCD monitors.

I have no idea how these things work as you may understand by reading the following- sp please pardon any wrong statemnets or absurd requirements.

Will prefer an external over an internal as that way he can keep the pc off while watching TV i think.
He either watches TV or is on the pc- rarely both together.

But if the external TV tuner box provides poor picture quality (assuming they have their own gpu etc) or an internal TV tuner provides better image quality in general or is better for whatever other reasons like reliability, quality of components, driver support, etc, he will buy an internal one.

He is not into recording etc, purely viewing use only.
So that i guess that doesn't compel one to use an internal one as i am not sure if external boxes allow recording?

But primary requirement is good or very good picture quality on a 24" LCD monitor.

Will prefer to buy one locally with some warranty but if the foreign markets have something exceptionally good to offer, that can be sourced too afaik. :)

Please help. :)

you can have an external TV tuner which can help you record too.

i recently came across gadmei Tv Tuner, exteral via usb.

the tuner loops the connection to the display from the pc via the tuner...this way, both PC and cable are source to the tuner and one can toggle the source externally.

it also comes with software for windows... this way one can view TV from within windows too.

picture quality was great for normal cable quality and i was running it over a 1440x resolution display.

how it would fair compared to higher quality is hard for me to say.

if i get hold of it, i will try supplying the tuner with a better source like a dvd player etc. the tuner belongs to a remote relative so that is hard to happen.

but posting just incase if it is possible for you or others to try.

the tuner costs less than 2k i guess..pure vfm i found it.

Bikey, the PVR-150 is good compared to other tuners if you are using the local cablewalla connection. If its a STB like Tatasky or anything, it will essentially be the same quality. :cool2:

And for a 24", the TV quality will be crap for the reception we get here. And on a TFT, it looks even worse, so don't expect wonders with anythin that you buy coz the source itself is :bleh:.

However, if your friend is looking for a complete media center experience on a 32 bit system, then PVR-150 is the best i have seen with nearly everything including provision to control everything with the single media center remote.

At the end, however the internal PVR-150 can't run TV without the PC, whereas an external one will be able to do so. So, if it would be me, i would pick the Hauppage anyday :p

BIKeINSTEIN said:
How are those HP oem PVR150 cards for 24" usage?

I thought your friend wanted an external one? :p

In any case, the Hauppage PVR150 is a decent buy (for about 1.6K?) but the image quality wouldn't be all that good on an LCD. The bundled remote works OOTB using Win 7 WMC or XBL.

I did happen to come across few members stating that the card cannot be used with 4GB of RAM so some tweak had to be done to get that right - the issue may have been resolved by now I guess. :)

Gannu said:

In any case, the Hauppage PVR150 is a decent buy (for about 1.6K?) but the image quality wouldn't be all that good on an LCD. The bundled remote works OOTB using Win 7 WMC or XBL.

I did happen to come across few members stating that the card cannot be used with 4GB of RAM so some tweak had to be done to get that right - the issue may have been resolved by now I guess. :)

I am planning to get one of these for my laptop

eBay India: AverMedia AverTV Volar Go USB 2.0 TV Tuner (item 380207306137 end time 23-Feb-2010 13:20:59 IST)

is there any better option then this ? its available locally for around 2,150 Rs in mumbai.

I have AverMedia Genie... works smoothly with 22" and also with tata Sky etc...

dont know havent tried it on 24"

how it works is if i switch my genie Tv comes up with Monitors n Comp in background. Once i switch of genie Computer Desktop pops.

Gannu said:

I still cannot use my PVR-150 with 4GB of RAM. I too have heard of "tweaks" which allow you to use it with 4GB but I could not find it. So I don't know.

i am using an external tv tuner in office for the past 2 years. not sure if it supports 1920 x 1200 or no because i have 22" lcds in office which are 1680 x 1050. the tv tuner works perfect at that resolution. i have it connected to a set top box & then to my lcd via vga.

its a chinese product i think. name is gadmei. still going strong & costs 950rs.

^^ yup the 'gadmei combo box'.

i rechecked yesterday.

i dont think its chinese product..as in.. it does come with warranty.

and features explained same as in 2nd post.

the picture quality was really superb for the price you pay.

moreover, we do not have any TV source with FullHD resolution. so go forward with this one.

Regarding the Hauppage PVR-150, there are tweaks that would basically make the 64 bit OS use the equivalent RAM as a 32 bit system and then the tuner works.
Apart from this nothing works permanently. And trust me when i say this coz i have tried every other thing possible on earth...:rofl:

Avertv Genie is one of the best external tuners around.. and it is completely vfm at Rs. 1500/-. Much better than gadmei . For higher resolution 1920 * 1200, one can opt for Avertv tv box W7 lite, reatils around 3000/-.

You can also go for Avertv DVI box, supporting HD output/input through DVI. Not much idea about cost but should be around 5k mark.

badaa bump. :p

Now i need one that will allow a LCD monitor to be used as a TV without requiring a pc/laptop. :)

I mean someone wants to use existing 24" LCD monitor as TV.

Is that possible? :ashamed:

Please suggest any TV tuner boxes that allow this- just for TV viewing- no recording, etc required. :)

Definitely Avertv box Win7 Lite if you can spend about 3k.....But if the budget is low then go for aver tv box genie 1 for 1500. It has wonderful upscaling

If ne one need HVR-1200 i will be getting a few today.

Hauppauge Computer Works Ltd : WinTV-HVR-1200 Media Center Kit

hvr1200_board-s.jpg

^ using for watching cable or satellite?

the specs show no option for component inputs. just one lonely s-video input.

Back