PC Peripherals TV Tuner Card Recommendation

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hello folks,

I want to buy a TV Tuner Card for my PC through which I should be able to watch TV channels by connecting the TV Tuner Card to a Set-top box. Also, it should be such that I should be able to click on an icon (TV Tuner Card software icon in this case) and it should seamlessly load up the TV channels and when I'm done watching I should be able to close it like closing any other software on the PC.

Will getting this PCI based card from AverMedia do the job:

http://www.flipkart.com/avermedia-a...card&ref=3c18a31e-9834-440c-a684-317e58db4248

Regards,
Black_Hawk

@6pack: I'll be using the RCA (red, white and yellow) connectors from the Set-top box to the Avermedia TV tuner card. Will it work? If it does I'll order it right-away from Flipkart. :)

The best card to get is an Hauppauge PVR 150 since it has an encoder on board. Advantage of an encoder is that it will not use the cpu very much.
In terms of best picture quality component>svideo>composite (RCA).

Most stbs have a component output, however I haven't come across an internal tuner with component. You could however use an external encoder like the hauppauge hd-pvr.

I don't know whether hauppauge products are available in India, you may have to source from Singapore.

@6pack: I'll be using the RCA (red, white and yellow) connectors from the Set-top box to the Avermedia TV tuner card. Will it work? If it does I'll order it right-away from Flipkart. :)

No, it will not work. I have a hauppauge tuner connected to TataSky HD stb and you can only see the current channel you selected with stb remote. Stb tuner tunes and decodes just one channel at a time. Doesn't matter what output type you use.
So you won't get any previews like when using RF cable with cable operator.

I guess I'll have to change channels with the Set-top box remote then and key in manually the channel I want to watch. Guess certain things have to be done the longer way around.

Thanks for the replies @6pack, appreciate the help! Will get the AverMedia AverTV Super 009 card and see how it all goes.

EDIT: Ordered the said card from Flipkart right now! :)

Last edited:
Back