TV warranties especially the LG oleds

1609173612467.png

Uk pays more or less similar to india ,the extra 5 years is inculded in the price by the reseller , could someone enlighten me on this ? are we being looted , ithink lg provides 1 year manufacturer warranty but almost all uk resellers are providing 5 years warranty how . i feel unjustice /cheated over here
uk pricing is around 1300 pounds

Attachments

• 1609173837845.png
    1609173837845.png
    995.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
An additional thing to consider is that LG does not include burn-in protection in its warranty stating that it is not a panel defect but rather a result of user behaviour. In UK, I think Currys specifically includes screen burn warranty for LG OLEDs in the 5-year warranty which is the only reason to go for one. In US too, I read that LG offers a secret one-time panel replacement within the warranty period as they had received multiple threats of lawsuit.

In India, it is a pure gamble considering the price, so if you are not concerned about panel lottery and can control the viewing habits to prevent static images of any kind on the screen for long durations (channel logos and game HUDs), then it might be worth going for an OLED.

The thing to consider is that the extended warranty is via the store, not via LG. AFAIK, LG doesn't include burn in in extended warranty. I would clarify with the store and get it in writing if they cover burn in issue in their warranty.
Newer C9 and CX panels should be much better in terms of burn in issue.
I have a 2 year old C8 with over 3600 hours, mixed use, set top box news and online streaming, no issue whatsoever yet (fingers crossed). Had asked LG at purchase regarding burn in cover in extended warranty, they said it is not covered, so I didn't get it.

But, I had recently asked on reddit and one user did confirm that LG extended warranty DOES include burn in. Seems like LG might have changed their policies. But it would be better confirm it from LG to be sure.
lgoledwarranty.png

my concerns are how the **** uk stores are able to give that warranty within the stated price and not by indian stores regarding c9 aand cx they have improved that panes and they add metal back to dissipate heat right from 2019 the panels have improved drastically

If you wish to buy OLED and also concerned about warranties- then the ONLY time to buy is during Diwali when LG offers a 5-year warranty and also the cheapest rates.

They are one of the better brands when it comes to honoring warranties.

LG offers 3 year warranty during Diwali, prices of 2 year extended warranty were heavily discounted as well.
US and UK are much larger markets for high end TVs I suppose. Also, they don't have insane taxes like India, which allows some wiggle room for the manufacturer. LG India probably tries to bring down the price as much as possible by cutting as many perks as possible.

Why do you think a tin can cars in India which have fewer amenities than a bath tub cost as much as a BMW in US ?
But it would be better confirm it from LG to be sure.
LG does not cover burn in or dead/stuck pixels in their extended warranty, in India. Its clearly written in their terms and conditions.

Attachments

• BurnInTterms.JPG
    BurnInTterms.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
I doubt any of those reddit posters have done due diligence. LG DOES NOT cover burn in warranties anywhere, as it is indeed an inherent property of the OLEDs. I didn't click a photo, but I was looking for a TV for my parents this Diwali, and the 4/5 years comprehensive warranty on LG OLEDs was tempting. I checked the exact offer brochure in Croma and it very clearly said burn in is not covered.
Having said that, we know through reddit that LG has offered 1 time replacements mostly in western countries without much trouble - though YMMV. I don't know of any such case in India (I have a C8, and the warranties were crazy expensive 2 years back - 50k-ish for 2 years, around 90k-ish for 3 years - almost the cost of the TV).

UK has a mandatory 2 year minimum warranty by law. I believe anything extra is on the onus of the seller - they probably have more margin than what Indian sellers have (though considering LG OLEDs are manufactured in Pune, India, the import laws should not apply). If you purchase the extra warranty from these sellers - VS, Croma, RD etc, generally it is significantly cheaper than official warranty (even 2 years back, they were 1/3rd the cost of official warranty).
Considering the official warranty price during Diwali, it is a no brainer to get it officially. I checked at so many places but couldn't get a warranty for my C8 at a price anywhere close to those.

I doubt any of those reddit posters have done due diligence. LG DOES NOT cover burn in warranties anywhere, as it is indeed an inherent property of the OLEDs. I didn't click a photo, but I was looking for a TV for my parents this Diwali, and the 4/5 years comprehensive warranty on LG OLEDs was tempting. I checked the exact offer brochure in Croma and it very clearly said burn in is not covered.
Having said that, we know through reddit that LG has offered 1 time replacements mostly in western countries without much trouble - though YMMV. I don't know of any such case in India (I have a C8, and the warranties were crazy expensive 2 years back - 50k-ish for 2 years, around 90k-ish for 3 years - almost the cost of the TV).

UK has a mandatory 2 year minimum warranty by law. I believe anything extra is on the onus of the seller - they probably have more margin than what Indian sellers have (though considering LG OLEDs are manufactured in Pune, India, the import laws should not apply). If you purchase the extra warranty from these sellers - VS, Croma, RD etc, generally it is significantly cheaper than official warranty (even 2 years back, they were 1/3rd the cost of official warranty).
Considering the official warranty price during Diwali, it is a no brainer to get it officially. I checked at so many places but couldn't get a warranty for my C8 at a price anywhere close to those.
pune assembles it , i doubt that there are oled plants apart from s korea china and japan atleast for big screens

My CX65 came with 4years warranty covered by Reliance Digital. Some scheme which was running during Diwali
Is reliance digital or any store warranty the same as brand coverage? I'm not sure, especially with these panel stuff

pune assembles it , i doubt that there are oled plants apart from s korea china and japan atleast for big screens
Hmmmm. The box says manufactured at Pune. Maybe some laws are allowing them to call assembly as manufacturing ? IDK.

well this forces me to go qdot or mini led way ,samsung gives 10 year warranty on panel
or maybe sony as it gives android tv
I've a Sony FALD android TV - X9500G and an LG OLED C8.
Unless you're really really eyeing that warranty, there's no comparison in PQ. OLEDs just kill it with a much better PQ, deeper blacks, infinite contrast etc. Plus WebOS is a million times more intuitive than Android. Sure, you can download a megaton of apps on Android TV, but you don't need many of those apps on WebOS. As a TV, it just works, and the in built video player plays anything I've thrown at it. Contrast that to the X9500G, where I had to try 4 external players before one could pick up my remuxes from external HDD and play them without issues.
The H series has better chipset from what I've heard, but WebOS still reigns supreme for TVs. Very intuitive, all major Indian OTT apps are supported.

LG launched their Mini LED TVs today termed as 'QNED', so they are trying to diversify finally, especially as LG Display has made profit only once in 7 years. I had read an article once from one of the senior Samsung R&D personnel and they simply abandoned OLED because they felt that the issues with OLED burn-ins cannot be resolved, just mitigated to some extent. It doesn't matter for phone screens which are used for only a couple of years at most and that too for a few minutes at a time, but it is not sustainable for TVs.

Eventually microLED will be where the premium market will start shifting from 2021 as it offers the picture quality of OLED without the burn-in issues, though it will initially be more expensive that OLED. However, almost every company will ship sets with microLED starting next year compared to only LG for OLED, so the prices will come down a lot faster and will certainly become mainstream in 2-3 years.

One alternative would be to settle for a mid to high end QLED for now and wait for microLED TVs to become mainstream over the next few years.

Samsung already launched pre-fabbed 105 /110 inch microled few days ago .i would rather prefer samsungs QD-OLED since samsung display has stopped making traditional LCD LED ,i hope in upcomming CES samsund visual display announce the QD oled

Just an update , got LG CX at 1,27 with 3 years warranty as lg is providing 3 yrs warranty complete warrann , purchased additional 2 years warranty , and i will be claiming tax exemption by applying LTC cash voucher scheme introduced for financial year 2020-2021 .

Just an update , got LG CX at 1,27 with 3 years warranty as lg is providing 3 yrs warranty complete warrann , purchased additional 2 years warranty , and i will be claiming tax exemption by applying LTC cash voucher scheme introduced for financial year 2020-2021 .
How

regarding warranty , lg has increased its warranty for limited period of time some scheme is on going there is lot of jiber jaber but main is 3 years warranty on tv price
Any end date for 3 year warranty offer? 2 years extended warranty also from lg or store warranty? Whats the cost for extended warranty?
Is burn in/other panel issues covered in extended warranty?
Thanks!

Any end date for 3 year warranty offer? 2 years extended warranty also from lg or store warranty? Whats the cost for extended warranty?
Is burn in/other panel issues covered in extended warranty?
Thanks!
My friend bought a CX couple weeks ago and he was told that the offer will run till the end of March but he didn't see any written material stating that.
It's better to get the 2yr extended warranty from LG as their service is top notch.
As far as I remember, it was 20-25k for 2yrs but you gotta confirm.
Burn-in is not covered but any other panels issues are.

However, almost every company will ship sets with microLED starting next year compared to only LG for OLED, so the prices will come down a lot faster and will certainly become mainstream in 2-3 years.
Problem with Micro-LEd is that it is quite possible that it will never be affordable compared to OLED. According to analysts when we compare manufacturing cost of Micro-LED, it is right now 44 times more expensive to make compared to OLED.
As time goes by and manufacturing cost come down, even by 2027 it will be 7 times more expensive.
In future if there is a breakthrough in R&D and they come up with some way to reduce its cost even further it will still be a hard bargin compared to OLED because every year they are finding ways to mitigate its burn-in effect. Sony is releasing a new OLED panel this year which is around 20% more efficient and has higher peak brightness, less current flowing will make its panel run even longer without burn-in.
When we get to a point where Micro-LED is 1.4lac and OLED is 30k then what do you think people will buy.

Attachments

• Evi8fe3XMAQ5Hnp.jpg
    Evi8fe3XMAQ5Hnp.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 180
Back