Car & Bike Tvs xl starting problem

jammy420

Adept
Recently my father serviced his TVS XL.(he is comfortable only on that). It had no issues, except low mileage. He had asked the TVS service center to fine tune it. Ever since they delivered we are facing starting trouble. It is not staring even after 20-30 kicks. We gave to the same service center as faulty service. But every time when they deliver the bike it runs. . But next day morning it doesn't start. We are tired of giving to the same guys.they did change spark plug.

Then we gave to another guy nearby. He changed the spark plug. It worked on that day but from next day onwards starting issues

Now we observe if it is just pushed for some 300 meters manually , then it starts.

If spark plug is not the issue, what else could be. These service guys seems will never understand the issue. Simply change spark plugs and ditch it

Don't have any particular understanding of this particular vehicle, but if its carburetted, it could be an issue with the jets. Not starting point to either a air, fueling or spark issue. Maybe the tuning they did when warm is not suitable for cold starts. If its carburetted(which it probably should be) a thorough cleaning with a carb cleaner and adjusting of the jets via screws should solve the problem.

Probably the carburetor settings. 300meters push start ? I hope you mean its needs about 30feet of push start.
Since this starting trouble all started with a service it has to the be the carburetor settings. Mostly it set too lean mixture for increased mileage the trade off is the poor starting.

Your carburetor needs to be properly cleaned - emulsion tube, pilot jet has to rbe removed and cleaned thoroughly and every orifice inside the carb must be cleaned as well

I have many such exp. where before the service center bike/sccoter works well but after servicing something fks up. I have to visit twice and yell at them and get the job done.

Open the spark plug and inspect it. A very clean spark plug with white center indicates a very lean mixture of fuel and air. This can be solved by turning the idling screw of the carb so that idling increases. Please do this when the engine is hot.
On the opposite side. If you find that the spark plug is very black and sooty, it indicates a rich fuel and air mixture and it is possible that the engine is getting flooded. When you kick the engine enough, the built up fuel in the engine gets burnt and finally when the fuel to air mixture is just right, combustion is self sustained.
Also notice exhaust. Is it more smokey than usual?

I think just posting in TE, solved the issue. for past 4-5 days, it is starting with 2-3 kicks, though we have not done any repairs to the vehicle. anyway as long as it works, not planning to touch it now

Back