User Guides Tweaking - a Conceptual Analysis

Tweaking is about getting to know ur box.

The practice of optimizing resources be it the operating system or hardware,is in my view similiar to tuning a guitar.Its a personal thing where man and machine ,get to konw each other and explore the avenues for that extra something that makes you fall in love with it all over again and,its probably always been there right from the very first few generations of operating systems and the pre Beatles days.And it is in a way ,as much as an obsession - as it is an art.

It requires you to space the bridge of ignorance ;that seperates the known from the unknown in a way that demands if not anything ...spending time tring to learn...to experiment...to fail...to be enlightened and then most importantly - to share the new found knowledge with others...whether it is the lead from a Jimi Hendrix solo or your first tweak.

So where do u start on this expedition that sets out for your D-vana (digital nirvana).If there is such a start then i honestly do not know it.But i do know this...your computer the 'icing on the cake' at one point of time in the market at some point of time or the other needs your respect and will no doubt reduce to less that 10% of the original value in a time period that might scare even Hawkings's perspective of the speed of light.Thats one reason why I like old rigs.It gives you no other option ,but to open it up and discover,explore and invest quality time into.A view that might not be shared with the generations after yours or mine.

There is no greater satisfaction that can be endured that is more rewarding than tweaking your 'ol box to greater heights.Surprised i say old ? Trust me...the 64bit rig that u envy of ur friends will no doubt follow suit to be labelled an unfortunate and undeniable process that we'd like to call..."outdated" .

So how does 'tweaking' add value and memories to the brief interaction that you take for granted between you and your computer so that you can extract the most out of this understated relationship.The choice is yours...

Let me illustrate with an example of this information seeking process...

eg:Speeding up your startup time.
Heres' a tip.Start observing the shutdown process first !The next time you want to shutdown in windows,what do u observe:

1.what are these icons on your system tray?
check if they are for system or applications.After that if they have any options for 'appear on startup' in options.find out if they indeed are required or can be removed.

2.Im not running any app,but they're still stuff running in the background!
they're called services,and u dont need all of them.thers a list floating around online that contains list if unwanted services.chek it out.

extra stuff u could try...
Once u find out the services that you need for certain occasions,id suggest you seperate services you need for going online,while offline,for gaming,etc. That way if u dont want to stop all the unwanted services in one shot forever ,u can start ,stop as required depending on the situation. This can be done using bat files efectively and execute them to close ,open the services whenever i need them.Then i create a bat file that can execute the close/open services as the situation requires.

eg: while opening graphics,gaming
gamingstart.bat (to close services related to being online.make bat files in notpad and saving as .bat)
net stop "alerter"
net stop "messenger"
net stop <unwanted service>

gamingstop.bat (to reopen them)
net start "alerter"
net start blah balh
Note:All services can be closed this way.You need to find out for each service if it is possible to stop them and by what name it is stopped.
3.what are the power settings for my OS ?
u can find performance options for grahics/performance or find 3rd party utils.

4.Your desktop exhausts resources by time for showing menus,loading icons,showing contents,etc The Windows registry is the place to change all these time associated settings.in fact most tweaks relating to the OS are done in the registry.

So for windows,i'd start off with the device manager and have a nice good look at every thing installed onto my comp.And start one by one,and read about their performance from somewhere...where better than the vendors site!They'r sure to know more abou it that u coz they made it !Most of them suggest their support technical forums or usergroups.If not well ,well then look u'll have to find them :) To go one step higher,start off with the bios,thats what loads the OS and if ther's anything u can do to make it load faster,that'll be nice wont it !

An important consideration that has to be acknowledged is that we being social animals,tend to randomly start off tweaking based on shall i say ...what we from "hear'n say" rather than chalk out what we want and need.But the only way you can find out what you need is by understanding the purpose of the specific application to which you want to apply the 'tweak'.Its ok to realise temporary oblivion when you want to learn.It is not important that you dont know how to do something,but it is important to dont deprive its existance and find out what u need to know.Much like a favourite or bookmark.You dont know have to know the url,but u can access it whenever u want it .

Tweaking architecture
You may be a pro gamer or a stubborn rig lover.But there are three places where you can conserve your resources as shown.

application level tweaking
-----------------------------------------------------
operating system tweaking
-----------------------------------------------------
hardware level tweaking
^
/ \
device bios
Application level tweaking
These as the title suggest vary from app to app,so no definitve guide here.
eg: extensions for firefox for better efficiency,blah balh

Operating System tweaking
thanks to the black viper who's done enuff research and tracking....so why reinvent the wheel!anyhow since that site seems to be down...here are a few more -

Hardware level tweaking
|
--device level
|
--BIOS level

Device level
again ,check the manuals and manufacturer specific support forums.

BIOS tweaking
needd some help here,since im not anywhere near mastering this one...more overclocking,hardware realted as the title suggests.
-By default, most companies set the BIOS to use the most stable settings, to allow for maximum compatibility with the myriad of hardware out there. So tweaking the BIOS greatly improved my computer’s performance.The key is finding out what each BIOS feature does. ......more

-You should begin by updating your BIOS to the latest version. This can fix issues with certain motherboards, add more features or just improve performance.Given the potential risks involved with this its highly recommended you backup important data. You can find a list of motherboard manufacturers (& their BIOS updates) at Windrivers.
......more

-Begin by finding the QuickBoot setting in the CMOS setup program (sometimes it's called QuickPOST or Quick Power-on Self Test). Enabling this setting should speed up boot times up to a minute on some older systems. Also, disable Boot up Disk to shave off a few seconds.
......more

-Some other tweaks that can be performed within the BIOS will change the overall speed of the computer.
-If the computer's BIOS has the option, caching the Video RAM should also give a performance increase. Make sure to read the manual that was included with your video card because this can cause problems with certain systems.
-AGP aperture setting is very important for AGP graphics cards because it determines how the video card accesses system RAM.

Back