Two laptop with BSNL router cum modem

idea

Adept
I have type 4 Bsnl Router cum modem.

I am trying to connect both laptop in LAN but somehow not able to do the same by using default "setup home office network" in XP.

1. both laptop have XP

2. i have assisgned different ip to both laptop while default gateway is that of router 192.168.1.1

3. i can connect to net from EITHER laptop.

4. Though i can see both laptop in Network Neighbourhood i cant access .. it gives error "contact admin .. i may not have right to access"

5. tried pinging but it gives error timed out ...

6 i am using cable

do i to change some seting in router/ip setting ..?

please do help....

Are u using dial up to connect on either lappy?

1. Set up ur modem for auto-dial and enable DHCP.
2. Keep IP settings on both lappies on auto.
3. Run Network setup wizard on both lappies with the same work group name and enable file sharing.
4. You can go to BSNL BROADBAND MAIN MENU for the settings of ur router. You can either use their settings of fixed IPs or allow DHCP. Also, using the OpenDNS address of 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in the DNS settings should give u a boost in surfing.

Also, adding to what Naga said, disable the Windows firewall or any other firewall you might have running on both laptops.

Thanks for Revert mate ...

I am on dial up rite now as i have NU.

I have already tried step 1,3 ,,, but i could not do step 2 as one of lappy gives error when trying to set on auto mode. it says "u might not have access to network resourses ..." and there is explanatory mark with yellow background...

firewall disabled...

how to proceed now...

idea said:
I have already tried step 1,3 ,,, but i could not do step 2 as one of lappy gives error when trying to set on auto mode. it says "u might not have access to network resourses ..." and there is explanatory mark with yellow background...
Step 2 will always be possible if everything is ok with ur hardare/ software environment. Re-install ur wi-fi drivers and un install any software security suites u might have . If u can't set up automatic IPs, something is wrong with either ur OS or the drivers.

Party Monger said:
Have you shared any drive or resources?
The user name and password?

no user pass ....

but sharing is done with full access

Naga said:
Step 2 will always be possible if everything is ok with ur hardare/ software environment. Re-install ur wi-fi drivers and un install any software security suites u might have . If u can't set up automatic IPs, something is wrong with either ur OS or the drivers.

oh .. does that mean i need to format my lappy...bcoz auto ip is not workinng for both wire and wireless...

ok problem Resolved. Instead of using auto ip .. i have cpnfigured all m/c with static ip and few more settings ...

Thanks a lot naga,Party Monger,Edrill !!!

Back