Car & Bike Two wheeler lying unused for over a year - some queries

red-devil

Disciple
I'm not sure if my query merits a separate thread. I did a search around here and couldn't find any kind of generic thread for small queries (which do not warrant a thread).

@mods: please move/merge as you deem fit. Or if it sounds good, can you just let this thread be as a place for asking such small queries?

I bought a Unicorn 150CC sometime in early 2012 (can't even remember the month right now). The last time I used my bike was in March 2012 and at the time I think the bike had run 1k-1.5k kms (1 service done, IIRC). It's been just there in my parking slot without having run all this while.

My queries :
  • What do I need to when I eventually start using it (say in the next month or 2)? I don't even know if it would kick back in to life right away...
  • I intend to service it in the Honda showroom sometime before I use it, but is there something else that needs to be done?
  • Will there be any damage to the engine since it's not been used for such a long time?
  • Any other considerations?

your bike will start on the first attempt. use kickstart.

you need to check for any weather related damages to the body (rust), rubber (tire, grips etc) and plastic cladding. i don't know how to check batteries for any damage.

I'm not sure if my query merits a separate thread. I did a search around here and couldn't find any kind of generic thread for small queries (which do not warrant a thread).

@mods: please move/merge as you deem fit. Or if it sounds good, can you just let this thread be as a place for asking such small queries?

I bought a Unicorn 150CC sometime in early 2012 (can't even remember the month right now). The last time I used my bike was in March 2012 and at the time I think the bike had run 1k-1.5k kms (1 service done, IIRC). It's been just there in my parking slot without having run all this while.

My queries :
  • What do I need to when I eventually start using it (say in the next month or 2)? I don't even know if it would kick back in to life right away...
  • I intend to service it in the Honda showroom sometime before I use it, but is there something else that needs to be done?
  • Will there be any damage to the engine since it's not been used for such a long time?
  • Any other considerations?

1> kick start, will take some time, persist. AVOID using the self start, may damage your ECU. Best suggestion is to take the battery out, charge it externally, plonk it back, and then you should attempt to start. If you damage your ECU, thats a big bill.
2> none
3> none, can be external rust accumulation depending on storage location. You should oil and grease your chains and bearings before using the bike, this would be covered in a full service. Since you have done only first, you may have the coupon for 2nd free service.
4> covered above, plus check your tyres, they would be low on air. Check the rubber as well for cracks or splits, having left it for 12 months+ in a stagnant position.

axeman has covered most of it. As long as there is petrol (if only 1L or less is there, then I'd recommend draining it and filling the tank with a fresh liter) and the kick lever is functional, you should get it started. Once it gets moving, get it to the service center tell them explicitly to thoroughly look it over including tires etc.

Why wait two more months? try 5 kicks/day from today itself, it will turn over in a few days. (unless you and the bike are not in the same location)

1) First off, get a mechanic to drain your tank and clean it with a fresh round of petrol.
2) The carb will be fouled up with the old petrol that will have it gummed up, get it OPENED and cleaned. DIY if you can, else get a mechanic to do it.
3) Check the tyres for cracks, if the air is nearly deflated, get a foot pump from a nearby bicycle/auto shop and inflate them.
4) Check the battery. If it is a sealed type, it might require charging before you can use it. If not, it might need to be topped up with distilled water and charged before usage.
5) Parts will be rusted or oxidized due to atmospheric condition, this includes the clutch and accelerator cables.
6) Very important, check the oil level and condition of the oil. This is important as you only ran the bike for 1K kms, I'm not even sure if you had the oil
drained at the 500-700km interval to flush the metal filings that come out of a new engine.

Motorcycles kept inactive for more than a month usually have battery terminals removed and some compound like vaseline applied on them to avoid corrosion. The tyres are periodically checked and overinflated. The petrol is drained COMPLETELY to avoid it becoming a sticky mess.

Finally an unwanted bit of advise would be - why buy a vehicle to let it lie around to collect dust? It would have been better to keep it in running condition, even if you took it out for a spin once a week, or gave it to someone to keep it in running nick. Would even have made sense to sell it off rather than do this.
As it is, I presume you might need to splurge on a new battery, a new set of tyres (tyres develop cracks if they're not kept inflated) and various other expenses. With any luck, you might not, but well, be prepared for it.

Thanks guys.. With automobiles, I'm no good at the DIY stuff so I will have to first try kick start (I never started the bike using self start for the first start in the morning anyway so I'm sure I wont try self start after this long...) but reading the replies, I'm guessing it's gonna take me a while before it kicks back on...

I *think* the bike has run 1.2k kms and only one service was done around the 700-800 kms mark (that was the first free service). Not sure if that is/was enough to clean up the metal filings @AK3D mentioned about, in his post.

On the exterior, I will have to watch out for rust and see if there is any leakage in the battery acid or something and tyre pressure, fuel and oil level ... I guess the service center folks will clean up the oil and check out the battery etc as part of their regular 'full service'

Is there something specific that I need to ask them to look at? I'm more worried about the internal engine which may have gathered rust/some $hite which may render the bike useless!

I think the service coupon cannot be used in anymore. It has some time limit on it so no free servicing for the OP I feel.
I agree..

EDIT:
I've not used the bike for over a year 'cos I'm not in India right now...I'm likely to be back later this year/early next year and that's why I wanted to gather some info so that I can gauge my options and be mentally prepared instead of getting shocked :D

Last edited:
I *think* the bike has run 1.2k kms and only one service was done around the 700-800 kms mark (that was the first free service). Not sure if that is/was enough to clean up the metal filings @AK3D mentioned about, in his post.
Is there something specific that I need to ask them to look at? I'm more worried about the internal engine which may have gathered rust/some $hite which may render the bike useless!EDIT:
I've not used the bike for over a year 'cos I'm not in India right now...I'm likely to be back later this year/early next year and that's why I wanted to gather some info so that I can gauge my options and be mentally prepared instead of getting shocked :D

The internal engine won't have suffered. If the valves are gummed up (not very likely), they can be cleaned too. Once the motorcycle is in running condition, using a cleaning additive will get the engine up to optimum performance very fast.

Back